Posted to user@storm.apache.org by John Fang <xi...@alibaba-inc.com> on 2015/11/18 01:20:43 UTC

答复: Storm typical application

Yes,storm can do it. I suggest you read some storm�� example.:
https://github.com/apache/storm/tree/master/examples/storm-starter

������: Aliza Nagauker [mailto:Aliza.Nagauker@ecitele.com]
����ʱ��: 2015��11��17�� 23:23
�ռ���: user@storm.apache.org
����: Storm typical application

Hello all,

I am new at Storm. I read Storm Doc and tutorial as published in storm site
and have few basic questions.

I am trying to learn and understand whether Storm is suitable for my
application.

Is Storm mainly intended for distributed real time applications that has to
handle "massive input data" and apply "data analytics over this data"?

Is it indented to application where the data-size is large and need analytic
over the data itself (word count, search words, convert formats, write it to
DB etc.)?

Assuming my application is a kind of a Controller that:

��        receive messages from multiple sources: Management Systems,
Network Elements, Internal timers, Internal modules

��        Act upon these messages: update protocol �Cstate-machines, it may
send messages to other servers/applications.

��        Messages are typically short ones �C control protocols messages
(Not HTTP pages, Not Documents, Not Database info).

��        We may need to run this application in multiple machines.

In this case, is Storm is the right choice for this application?

I understand that Storm is indeed very recommended for Distributed Real Time
application, yet, I am not sure it is intended for network applications that
are mainly control application and not Data Processing Applications (Not Big
Data applications)

I'll appreciate your consult on this.

Thanks, Aliza

Re: Storm typical application

Posted by Craig Charleton <cr...@gmail.com>.
I think your company is in South Florida, where I also reside.

Craig Charleton
craig.charleton@gmail.com

Posted by Craig Charleton <cr...@gmail.com>.
Aliza,

Below is a link to a book that goes over a number of use cases that may help you.

https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/storm-blueprints-patterns-distributed-real-time-computation

Craig Charleton
craig.charleton@gmail.com

Posted by Craig Charleton <cr...@gmail.com>.
Aliza,

The short answer is you can use it for stream processing without BigData. I will add more detail later but I am not able to at the moment. However I didn't want to leave you hanging.

Craig Charleton
craig.charleton@gmail.com

> On Nov 18, 2015, at 9:21 AM, Aliza Nagauker <Al...@ecitele.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Thank you all,  you defiantly cleared the issue (and it wasn't boring at all J )
>
> So Craig, is it  the "Big data" processing that makes the "Storm" the right choice?
> If I have ONLY large number of events, and they do not add-up to "Big data", is it still relevant to consider Storm? (I am sure Storm can handle it…yet is it a criteria to select Storm as a platform)
>
> Aliza

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com<http://www.wipro.com>

Re: Storm typical application

Posted by Craig Charleton <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by pr...@wipro.com.

Posted by Craig Charleton <cr...@gmail.com>.
Aliza,

Posted by Aliza Nagauker <Al...@ecitele.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I will try the examples.

I understand that Storm can do the functionality required in my application, yet my question is whether it is the right platform.
So far we worked with Karaf-framework for our applications, and I am trying to understand what should be the motivations to move to Storm framework?
Is it for cases of:

��         large amount of real time data processing (Big Data: files, DB, WEB pages) over distributed machines?

��         Large amount of real time events processing �C usually control protocols (network protocols �C like routing protocol, VOIP protocols, SNMP, REST) over distributed machines?

Thanks, Aliza

I am new at Storm. I read Storm Doc and tutorial as published in storm site and have few basic questions.
I am trying to learn and understand whether Storm is suitable for my application.

Is Storm mainly intended for distributed real time applications that has to handle "massive input data" and apply "data analytics over this data"?
Is it indented to application where the data-size is large and need analytic over the data itself (word count, search words, convert formats, write it to DB etc.)?

Assuming my application is a kind of a Controller that:

&#0;.      receive messages from multiple sources: Management Systems, Network Elements, Internal timers, Internal modules

&#0;.      Act upon these messages: update protocol �Cstate-machines, it may send messages to other servers/applications.

&#0;.      Messages are typically short ones �C control protocols messages (Not HTTP pages, Not Documents, Not Database info).