Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/17 17:58:24 UTC

[VOTE] GitHub: disable merge button?

Hi,

We have migrated to GitBox, and now committers have enough grants to merge
PRs right from GitHub UI.
With great power comes great responsibility.

Unfortunately, the button defaults to "create merge commit".
It makes Git history non-linear which might be painful to analyze.
Non-linear histories might be helpful, however I think we don't really need
those from GitHub UI.

Other options are
"squash and merge" (==pretend the PR was developed as a single commit on
top of the current master)
"rebase and merge" (==pretend all the commits in PR were developed on top
of the current master)

Both options more or less resemble the way we used to work with SVN.
"Create merge commit from GitHub UI" is something new, and I suggest to
disable it.
Note: merge commits could still be created though command line, and it is a
completely different topic.

I suggest to make a formal vote about it:

+1 [ ] Let's disable "merge commit" button in GitHub UI
+0 [ ] I don't care, but it is fine
-1 [ ] Please keep "merge commit" button in GitHub UI because...

My vote is
+1 Let's disable "merge commit" button in GitHub UI

Vladimir

Re: [VOTE] GitHub: disable merge button?

Posted by Graham Russell <gr...@ham1.co.uk>.
+1

Vladimir, thank you for all your work on migrating to git.

I generally prefer "squash and merge". Especially when there is a lot of
"noise" in the PR commit history:
e.g. "fixed CI", "opps, really fixed CI" etc. Also if the PR is small, a
single commit is easier to understand (and even remove if required).

I don't mind "rebase and merge" if the history is valuable e.g. it's a
large PR with a few different almost standalone changes.

Thanks

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 17.06.19 um 19:58 schrieb Vladimir Sitnikov:
> Hi,
>
> We have migrated to GitBox, and now committers have enough grants to merge
> PRs right from GitHub UI.
> With great power comes great responsibility.
>
> Unfortunately, the button defaults to "create merge commit".
> It makes Git history non-linear which might be painful to analyze.
> Non-linear histories might be helpful, however I think we don't really need
> those from GitHub UI.
>
> Other options are
> "squash and merge" (==pretend the PR was developed as a single commit on
> top of the current master)
> "rebase and merge" (==pretend all the commits in PR were developed on top
> of the current master)
>
> Both options more or less resemble the way we used to work with SVN.
> "Create merge commit from GitHub UI" is something new, and I suggest to
> disable it.
> Note: merge commits could still be created though command line, and it is a
> completely different topic.
>
> I suggest to make a formal vote about it:
>
> +1 [ ] Let's disable "merge commit" button in GitHub UI
> +0 [x] I don't care, but it is fine

I think the best option would be to reorder the buttons and set one of
the other options as the default. But I fear this is not possible.

As disabling the button is not permanent and the functionality is still
available through the command line, I think it is not necessary to have
a real vote on this, if a prior discussion has shown enough consensus.

Felix (sorry for the late answer)

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
Philippe>  - "Create a merge commit" but keep the 2 other options
Philippe> It's +1 for me

Oh. Of course I meant to disable just "merge commit from GitHub UI".
I suggest we keep "squash and merge", and we keep "rebase and merge"
(however we might want to keep just "squash and merge")
So "incorporate the PR" button is there, but we just disable its ability to
create merge commits.

PS "Please disable merge commit" is something that is requested quite
often:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16245?jql=text%20~%20%22%27merge%20commit%27%20disable%22%20and%20project%3Dinfra

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com>.
Hello,
If vote is just:

   - "Create a merge commit" but keep the 2 other options

It's +1 for me, otherwise if it's about removing the ability to merge, then
I keep my previous vote.

Thanks

--

[image: logo Ubik Ingenierie] <https://www.ubik-ingenierie.com> Philippe
Mouawad
Senior Performance Expert
320914981 <+33320914981> | p.mouawad@ubik-ingenierie.com
[image: ubik-ingenierie.com] ubik-ingenierie.com
<https://www.ubik-ingenierie.com> | [image: 03.20.91.49.81] 03.20.91.49.81
<+33320914981> | [image: 23 rue du chemin de fer , 59100 , Roubaix] 23 rue

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com>.