Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dan Buckley <db...@kettering.edu> on 2002/09/18 16:46:38 UTC

[users@httpd] limiting ASP scripting

We are running apache on a unix box with SunONE ASP installed. I would
like to set aside a group of folders where  ASP scripting wasn't
allowed, for security reasons. Those mainly being database access, but
also access to application and session variables. I am not aware of a
way to restrict the parsing of ASP in certain directories, but I am a
fairly new Apache user. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] limiting ASP scripting

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> We are running apache on a unix box with SunONE ASP installed. I would
> like to set aside a group of folders where  ASP scripting wasn't
> allowed, for security reasons. Those mainly being database access, but
> also access to application and session variables. I am not aware of a
> way to restrict the parsing of ASP in certain directories, but I am a
> fairly new Apache user. Has anyone done this before?

You can deny *.asp using a Files directive:

<Files ~ "\.asp$">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

I'm I'm not mistaken (and I could be), you should be able to stick that in a
directory block and be able to deny asp files in certain directories.

If the ASP module has some sort of Options interface, you could put an
Options -ASPParsing directive in the Directory block, but that will only
serve to allow people to download .asp files fron those dirs.  not a good
thing if your files have passwords in them :)

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com