Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org> on 2017/06/05 04:32:14 UTC

Bigtop Puppet current status

Hi Bigtopers,

I've shared this on my Apache Big Data talk, but haven't got a chance to
share with you yet.
This is a Jenkins matrix job to show the healthy status of our component
deployment code.
Each run deploys hdfs + Y on X, where X is the OS and Y is the component
shown on the matrix:

https://ci.bigtop.apache.org/view/Provisioner/job/Bigtop-trunk-deployments/45/

Generally speaking, the status of our deployment code needs a lot of effort
to polish.
So, for 1.2.1 release, I think we should make some changes:

1). Remove unmaintained failing components
2). Get maintained components fixed

1) might be easier to achieve, while 2) takes time.
In order to maintain a good code quality, I suggest proceed with 1).

Any different thoughts?

Re: Bigtop Puppet current status

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi Evans,

thanks for your post and contribution!

Digging into some of the problems is showing me that the problem is not only related to puppet rather to the packages itself.

It is not absolutly clear to me what you meant by "removing" component: The puppet code related to that part of bigtop (for instance "hue" or remove both packaging and puppet deployment code ?

I am ok to remove packages (both package and puppet) with no maintainer attached.
We may need to have maintainers for platforms as well.

To be more specific:

For instance the breakage of zeppelin is due to a IMHO broken architecture of zeppelin itself. It runs maven and tries to download stuff from the internet a service start time. Sorry, I can only to propose to remove zeppelin altogether, since we cannot fix it.

It looks like hue-packaging has gone havoc.  Since I seem to be the only one who was interested in this in the past I am ok to remove "hue" altogether. If someone still likes to have it, I can look into this issue, it may not be that complicated to fix.

Puppet Problems:
  kerberos on centos-7. I may look into this if I find time.
  zookeeper at ubuntu, but it seems you (Evans) are already working on it.

Best,
Olaf

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I have looked into the provisioner job and I think I found the root
cause of why we aren't testing the latest builds. Please see my
comment on BIGTOP-2295 and please reply there with your comments!

Thanks!
--
  Take care,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
and do not necessarily represent the views of any company the author
might be affiliated with at the moment of writing.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi Cos,

BIGTOP-2295 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-2295>

Olaf

Re: Bigtop Puppet current status

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 08:47PM, Olaf Flebbe wrote:
> Hi Cos,
>
> The deployment CI job of bigtop-trunk use the repo and packages of the last
> bigtop-release. So any change in package (i.e. fixes) will not be reflected
> in the provisioner jobs. I am really tired in arguing against this.

Ah, I am not crazy then! Thanks for confirming my sanity, Olaf!

So, the next question is how we can combine the night package build with
Evans' deployment job. Yes, I know - the provisioning matrix server a
different purpose to polish our Puppet code. But, and that's a big but -
while polishing Puppet we might find out that it is a package that is
problematic (BIGTOP-2165 is a case in point). In wish case we need to test the
latest packages.

I wonder if we can collect all packages together and build a repo on a nightly
basis? Or perhaps we can directly use Jenkins' artifacts? I did the former for
another project a while back and it is a-ok if you have just a handful of
packages. In our case we are talking about Gigabytes of stuff being copied
between the slaves, and I don't think it would be tht efficient. May be we can
use a shared location to store the binary artifacts?

Thoughts?
  Cos

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi Cos,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
OK. I agreed with you.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
Cos,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
+1

I will fix Ignite - I know about this problem since 1.2.0 and was
meant to work on, but other things took a priority.

In general I completely agree that we don't have to keep struggling
with components without active maintenance. We've been through this
conversation before, which resulted in the introduction of MAINTAINERS
file. However, it hasn't fully fixed the issue.

Thanks,
  Cos