Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by DM...@lbl.gov on 2004/01/27 22:00:11 UTC

QueryParser and escaped characters

I'm constructing a query using queryparser as follows:

Query query = QueryParser.parse("ariadne\-1",
                          "default", new
StandardAnalyzer());

when I print out query.toString(), i get:

default:"ariadne 1"

I'm not sure why my escape of "-" is not working?

--David Goodstein

Re: QueryParser and escaped characters

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Your escape character *is* working to pass it through the parser into
the analyzer.

It is the analyzer that is splitting at the dash.  Phrases get analyzed
too.

	Erik

p.s. I wish I had a nickel for every Lucene issue that boils down to
QueryParser or Analyzer misunderstanding.  :)  The two together make
for some head-scratching fun, that is for sure.

Posted by Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu>.
On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 01:00:11PM -0800, DMGoodstein@lbl.gov wrote:
> I'm constructing a query using queryparser as follows:
>
> Query query = QueryParser.parse("ariadne\-1",
>                           "default", new
> StandardAnalyzer());
>

> when I print out query.toString(), i get:
>
> default:"ariadne 1"
>
> I'm not sure why my escape of "-" is not working?
>
> --David Goodstein

It is working. Without escaping you would specify an ariadne BUT 1
query. It is the StandardAnalyzer which drops the '-'. Anyway,
if you've indexed with the StandardAnalyzer, you'll hardly find dashes
in your text.

incze