Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org> on 2004/11/22 14:43:19 UTC

[OT] Asynchronous Event processing API

I am hoping other people have this problem ...

I want to utilize an event processing system for when certain "things" happen
on a website I maintain. For example, if someone wishes to contact my client,
  the web site writes to a database to record the entry, then emails customer
service for notification. On certain occasions - other events also are run
real time before the user is shown the response. The whole model stinks when
an additional action needs injected since it takes longer for the user to
receive feedback after they have pressed the submit button. (The system is
also more brittle since any event in the real time chain may break causing a
500 error back to the user)

My solution to fix this is to have the contact us action only write to a
database, and then fire off an event to "something". Then I could register 0
or more listeners to that event. Then items such as email customer service,
email a sales rep, add an entry into a CRM database, or whatever cna be done
asynchonrously.

As an added bonus - I'd like to eventually chain events together to create a
new rule. For a ficticious example - if you look try to add some items to a
shopping cart, then go a store locator and abandon the cart - feed the user
to customer service for a random survey to see if they abadoned the cart due
to bad UI.

I know such things probably exist ... but don't know what terminolgy to use
for finding such products/apis. Doing the first part is easy to write myself,
but chaining events together would take a lot more time.

-Tim

Re: [OT] Asynchronous Event processing API

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 08:43:19AM -0500, Tim Funk wrote:
: I am hoping other people have this problem ...

No thanks, I'm trying to get rid of my problems. ;)

: I want to utilize an event processing system for when certain "things"
: happen on a website I maintain. For example, if someone wishes to contact
: my client, the web site writes to a database to record the entry, then
:  emails customer service for notification. On certain occasions - other
: events also are run real time before the user is shown the response. The
: whole model stinks when an additional action needs injected since it takes
: longer for the user to receive feedback after they have pressed the submit
: button. (The system is also more brittle since any event in the real time
: chain may break causing a 500 error back to the user)

What about letting the user click the link/submit the form/whatever,
then send them to a "status" page?  That lets the process continue in
the background, and the users get a (somewhat) instantaneous response
as the status-checking code simply returns whether the action is still
in progress...

The rest of what you described -- listeners, checking event status, etc
-- sounds pretty vanilla.  From what I gather, your question concerned
how to connect this to a web front end and provide zippy response for
end-users.  If I've misunderstood, let me know.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com