Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com> on 2011/02/01 08:18:09 UTC

[RELEASE CANDIDATE]: mod_perl-2.0.5 RC1

Please download, test, and report back with +1/-1 for this official
mod_perl release candidate.  It contains a release candidate version
of Apache-Test 1.36 which will be released along with the 2.0.5
distribution.

http://people.apache.org/~phred/mod_perl-2.0.5-rc1.tar.gz

+1 on Linux/5.8.8/2.2.9
+1 on OS X/5.12.2/2.2.14

Change summary - this is a big one:

Perpare modperl for the upcoming perl 5.14 [Torsten Foertsch]

Add lib/ModPerl/MethodLookup.pm to MANIFEST via lib/ModPerl/Manifest.pm
RT #48103 reported by MARKLE@cpan.org
[Fred Moyer]

PerlIOApache_write() now throws an APR::Error object, rather than just a string
error, if modperl_wbucket_write() fails.
[Steve Hay]

Authentication tests fail with LWP 5.815 and later
[Doug Schrag]

Concise test won't perform unless StatusTerse is set to ON
[Doug Schrag]

Look for a usable apxs in $ENV{PATH} if all other options fail, then
prompt the user for one.
[Phred]

Work around bootstrap warnings when Apache2::BuildConfig has not been
created yet.
[Phred]

Remove Apache::test compatibility (part of mod_perl 1.2.7), that code
causes build issues and is 4 versions out of date.
[Phred]

Make sure perl is built either with multiplicity and ithreads or without
both [Theory, Torsten]

Support for "install_vendor" and "install_site" make targets [Torsten]

Run tests on bundled pure perl Apache::* modules [Gozer, Phred]

Implement a mini-preprocess language for map-files in xs/maps.
[Torsten Foertsch]

Implement APR::Socket::fileno [Torsten Foertsch]

Export PROXYREQ_RESPONSE, a missing PROXYREQ_* constant [Gozer]

Make sure standard file descriptors are preserved by the perl-script
handler [Torsten Foertsch]

Fix the filter init handler attribute check in
modperl_filter_resolve_init_handler() [Torsten Foertsch]

Make sure buffer is a valid SV in modperl_filter_read() [Torsten Foertsch]

Move modperl_response_finish() out of modperl_response_handler_run in
mod_perl.c [Torsten Foertsch]

"MODPERL_INC= now correctly supported as an argument to Makefile.PL"
[Torsten Foertsch]

Fix an XSS issue in Apache2::Status reported by Richard J. Brain
<ri...@procheckup.com>. [Torsten Foertsch]

Add NOTICE file to the distribution. [Joe Schaefer]

Make sure Apache2::RequestIO::read doesn't clear the buffer on end of
file and handle negative offsets and offsets that are larger than
the current string length. [Torsten Foertsch]

Fix a problem that could make APR::XSLoader and Apache2::XSLoader
load the wrong shared library. [Torsten Foertsch]

Fix compilation when using a non-threaded APR.
[Gozer, Philip M. Gollucci]

Make sure mod_perl's own ChildInitHandlers are run before user
supplied ones. This fixes the incorrectly reported value of $$
at ChildInit time [Gozer]

Re: Fwd: [RELEASE CANDIDATE]: mod_perl-2.0.5 RC1

Posted by John D Groenveld <jd...@elvis.arl.psu.edu>.
In message <AA...@mail.gmail.com>, Fred
 Moyer writes:
>If you have a moment, please take this 2.0.5 release candidate for a
>spin.  Thanks!

All tests succeed under i86pc-solaris-64 with httpd 2.2.17,
however I needed to use GNU make to invoke the new test suite.

On Solaris 10 with Solaris Studio 12.2:
$ env PATH=/opt/apache2/perl-5.12.3/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/sfw/bin \
perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/opt/apache2/bin/apxs MAKE=gmake
$ env PATH=/opt/apache2/perl-5.12.3/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/sfw/bin \
gmake test

John
groenveld@acm.org

Fwd: [RELEASE CANDIDATE]: mod_perl-2.0.5 RC1

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE]: mod_perl-2.0.5 RC1

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.
2011/2/2 Torsten Förtsch <to...@gmx.net>:
> On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 08:18:09 Fred Moyer wrote:
>> http://people.apache.org/~phred/mod_perl-2.0.5-rc1.tar.gz
>
> If Apache-SizeLimit/t/apache2/basic.t fails sometimes:
>
> t/apache2/basic.t .................
> 1..10
> # Using Apache/Test.pm version 1.36
> not ok 1 - check that _limits_are_exceeded() returns false without any limits
> set
>

> I have corrected the problem in commit 1066417. See svn log -c 1066417 for
> more information.

Thanks for the spot.

Looks like I'll need to roll an rc2 with the tagged versions of the
included Apache::* modules.  I had though the versions were correct,
but the released modules are all using dev versions, which puts them
one version ahead (Apache::Reload is 0.12 but should be 0.11, the 0.12
is for dev).

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE]: mod_perl-2.0.5 RC1

Posted by Torsten Förtsch <to...@gmx.net>.
On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 08:18:09 Fred Moyer wrote:
> http://people.apache.org/~phred/mod_perl-2.0.5-rc1.tar.gz

If Apache-SizeLimit/t/apache2/basic.t fails sometimes:

t/apache2/basic.t .................
1..10
# Using Apache/Test.pm version 1.36
not ok 1 - check that _limits_are_exceeded() returns false without any limits
set

I have corrected the problem in commit 1066417. See svn log -c 1066417 for
more information.

Not sure if localizing the limits is the right solution. Perhaps better to
make sure the other tests do not change global settings. What do you think?

Torsten Förtsch

Like fantasy? http://kabatinte.net

RE: [RELEASE CANDIDATE]: mod_perl-2.0.5 RC1

Posted by Steve Hay <St...@planit.com>.
Fred Moyer wrote on 2011-02-02:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Steve Hay <St...@planit.com> wrote:
>> +1 on Windows XP / 5.12.2 / 2.2.17 (except for t\apache\subprocess.t
>> tests 2-5 which also failed with 2.0.4)
>>
>> I also have a strange problem whereby a VS2010 release build refuses
> to start up on Windows Vista/2008/7, but I get the same with 2.0.4
(and
> when using an older perl, e.g. 5.10.1). I'm stuck trying to find what
> the problem is because a debug build runs fine, albeit with one
> probably unrelated assertion (unrelated because Apache without
mod_perl
> does this too):
>
> Thanks for the report Steve.  Since these problems existed on mp
> 2.0.4, I'd like to push fixing them to 2.0.6 or later.

Yes, I'm fine with that. I've found that commenting out the (only) call
in Perl's win32 code to a function called ansify_path() fixes this
strange startup problem on Vista/2008/7 using VS2010. This is apparently
possibly a problem (even a bug?) with putenv() in MSVCR100.dll. I'm
still investigating, but at least have a workaround now.

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE]: mod_perl-2.0.5 RC1

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Steve Hay <St...@planit.com> wrote:
> +1 on Windows XP / 5.12.2 / 2.2.17
> (except for t\apache\subprocess.t tests 2-5 which also failed with 2.0.4)
>
> I also have a strange problem whereby a VS2010 release build refuses to start up on Windows Vista/2008/7, but I get the same with 2.0.4 (and when using an older perl, e.g. 5.10.1). I'm stuck trying to find what the problem is because a debug build runs fine, albeit with one probably unrelated assertion (unrelated because Apache without mod_perl does this too):

Thanks for the report Steve.  Since these problems existed on mp
2.0.4, I'd like to push fixing them to 2.0.6 or later.  RC2 coming
shortly which has some externals fixes.

I think that if we can get 2.0.5 out the door, we can be nimble enough
for quarterly releases.

RE: [RELEASE CANDIDATE]: mod_perl-2.0.5 RC1

Posted by Steve Hay <St...@planit.com>.
Fred Moyer wrote on 2011-02-01:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>
> wrote:
>> Please download, test, and report back with +1/-1 for this official
>> mod_perl release candidate.  It contains a release candidate version
>> of Apache-Test 1.36 which will be released along with the 2.0.5
>> distribution.
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~phred/mod_perl-2.0.5-rc1.tar.gz
>>
>> +1 on Linux/5.8.8/2.2.9
>> +1 on OS X/5.12.2/2.2.14
>
> +1 on OS X 10.6 / 5.13.9 / 2.2.17
>
> Gozer mentioned on IRC that he saw some test failures with bleadperl.

+1 on Windows XP / 5.12.2 / 2.2.17
(except for t\apache\subprocess.t tests 2-5 which also failed with 2.0.4)

I also have a strange problem whereby a VS2010 release build refuses to start up on Windows Vista/2008/7, but I get the same with 2.0.4 (and when using an older perl, e.g. 5.10.1). I'm stuck trying to find what the problem is because a debug build runs fine, albeit with one probably unrelated assertion (unrelated because Apache without mod_perl does this too):

_commit() [assertion comes from here]
apr_file_dup2()
ap_open_logs()
ap_run_open_logs()
main()

The best I can get by way of a stack trace from the release build is this:

msvcr100.dll!free(void * pBlock)  Line 51	C [crashes here]
msvcr100.dll!__crtsetenv(char * * poption, const int primary)  Line 211 + 0xa bytes	C
msvcr100.dll!_putenv_helper(const char * name, const char * value)  Line 265 + 0xb bytes	C
msvcr100.dll!_putenv(const char * option)  Line 77 + 0xa bytes	C
perl512.dll!7299927b()
mod_perl.so!70491df4()
mod_perl.so!70491ef6()
libhttpd.dll!705a1efe()
httpd.exe!00d91c27()
httpd.exe!00d92030()
kernel32.dll!75e84911()

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE]: mod_perl-2.0.5 RC1

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.