Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Jo...@emc.com on 2012/01/24 17:54:05 UTC

STOMP wire protocol and Jmeter

Hi all,

I have a need to send STOMP messages from Jmeter.  Has anyone had any experience with the STOMP wire protocol and Jmeter?

I'm able to make connections from client (Jmeter) to host (an ActiveMQ server) by supplying Provider URL stomp://${hostname}:61613 in a JMS publisher/sampler.   However, it looks like it is not as simple as sending STOMP frames via the sampler's Text Message field.

Though I'm not sure, perhaps I need a purpose-built API or extend Jmeter's capabilities in some way?

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,

John Ott

Senior SW Quality Engineer
EMC Corp.

Re: STOMP wire protocol and Jmeter

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24 January 2012 16:54,  <Jo...@emc.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a need to send STOMP messages from Jmeter.  Has anyone had any experience with the STOMP wire protocol and Jmeter?
>
> I'm able to make connections from client (Jmeter) to host (an ActiveMQ server) by supplying Provider URL stomp://${hostname}:61613 in a JMS publisher/sampler.   However, it looks like it is not as simple as sending STOMP frames via the sampler's Text Message field.

No, that won't work. JMS is a different protocol.

> Though I'm not sure, perhaps I need a purpose-built API or extend Jmeter's capabilities in some way?

According to
http://activemq.apache.org/how-does-openwire-compare-to-stomp.html
you might be able to use the TCP JMeter sampler.

However, it won't be easy (or even possible) to support heartbeats.

I was unable to determine if the protocol is synchronous or not from
reading the spec at:

http://stomp.github.com//stomp-specification-1.1.html

If it is synchronous, it should be easy enough to use the TCP sampler,
or you could write your own implementation of the TCP sampler.

JMeter is designed for synchronous protocols; asynchronous protocols
will need special handling (e.g. as per the JMS receiver).