Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2011/05/17 03:47:56 UTC

Progress on osgi-friendliness

I've run into too many problems getting the 3.0-osgi branch to work reliably so I've started trying to port some of the important changes to trunk to make trunk more osgi-friendly without eliminating so much of the geronimo infrastructure.   I think it may make sense to try to make the user experience as osgi-friendly as possible and get ee certified and then try again with an architecture cleanup.

I've ported one important piece locally, making gbeans into kind of a generic extender mechanism so the bundle a gbean class is loaded from is not the configuration bundle.  Each gbean info now includes the bundle symbolic name of the bundle containing its class.    At the moment the tomcat and jetty full ee servers start and the admin console appears to work OK.  I've put a source tar.gz on my apache space at http://people.apache.org/~djencks/source.tar.gz in case anyone else wants to take a look.  I'm working in git and this is several git commits so this doesn't include much info that would make it easy to compare with current trunk.  If anyone has any other formats they would like to look at let me know and I'll try to come up with something useful.

thanks!
david jencks

Re: Progress on osgi-friendliness

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 1, 2011, at 12:10 PM, Forrest Xia wrote:

> According to my recent experience, permsize=256m is kind of small for 3.0, though the server could start, but it will fail during application deployment from admin console after.

All depends on your application size, of course... I expect that we'll adjust our default settings as things stabilize. Hopefully we'll be taking some steps to reduce/minimize the server footprint, also.

Note that deployment method (admin console, command line, hot-deploy) shouldn't make any difference...

--kevan

Re: Progress on osgi-friendliness

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.
According to my recent experience, permsize=256m is kind of small for 3.0,
though the server could start, but it will fail during application
deployment from admin console after.

Forrest

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 9:02 AM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> BTW, this includes my idea for wrapping non-bundle jars through the admin
> console.  I haven't tested this at all.... in case anyone wants to try it.
>  Basically if you try to deploy an artifact that isn't a bundle, it runs the
> jar through the pax wrap url handler which uses bnd with very lenient
> settings to turn it into a bundle.

I love to see this nice feature, and I will have a try, and get back what I
find. thanks!

Forrest

Re: Progress on osgi-friendliness

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
BTW, this includes my idea for wrapping non-bundle jars through the admin console.  I haven't tested this at all.... in case anyone wants to try it.  Basically if you try to deploy an artifact that isn't a bundle, it runs the jar through the pax wrap url handler which uses bnd with very lenient settings to turn it into a bundle.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Forrest and everyone,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I just pushed another source zip which should fix a few more problems.  Please try it, we'll get slightly more reasonable results.

It all builds for me against current aries, owb, and openejb.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 2, 2011, at 2:05 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> fyi, this looks like the cause of the corba failure:
>
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: On a thread without an initialized context
> 	at org.apache.geronimo.openwebbeans.GeronimoSingletonService.getContext(GeronimoSingletonService.java:62)
> 	at org.apache.geronimo.openwebbeans.GeronimoSingletonService.get(GeronimoSingletonService.java:56)
> 	at org.apache.geronimo.openwebbeans.GeronimoSingletonService.get(GeronimoSingletonService.java:31)
> 	at org.apache.webbeans.config.WebBeansFinder.getSingletonInstance(WebBeansFinder.java:51)
> 	at org.apache.webbeans.config.WebBeansContext.getInstance(WebBeansContext.java:143)
> 	at org.apache.openejb.BeanContext.newInstance(BeanContext.java:1109)
> 	at org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessInstanceManager.ceateInstance(StatelessInstanceManager.java:178)
> 	at org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessInstanceManager.getInstance(StatelessInstanceManager.java:171)
> 	at org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessContainer.invoke(StatelessContainer.java:173)
> 	at org.apache.geronimo.corba.StandardServant._invoke(StandardServant.java:250)
> 	at org.apache.yoko.orb.OBPortableServer.ServantDispatcher.dispatch(ServantDispatcher.java:187)
> 	at org.apache.yoko.orb.OBPortableServer.POA_impl._OB_dispatch(POA_impl.java:1644)
> 	at org.apache.yoko.orb.OB.DispatchRequest_impl.invoke(DispatchRequest_impl.java:56)
> 	at org.apache.yoko.orb.OB.DispatchThreadPerRequest_impl$Dispatcher.run(DispatchStrategyFactory_impl.java:78)

As Shawn has noted on the OpenEJB dev list, this seems to be caused by recent OpenEJB changes. So probably is unrelated to your changes...

--kevan

Re: Progress on osgi-friendliness

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 2, 2011, at 1:47 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2011, at 11:22 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> Hi Forrest,
>>
>> I've pushed today's source to people.apache.org.  It compiles for me :-)  I just committed an update to OWB that makes it more compatible with aries proxying/weaving so you may want to build owb also.
>>
>> I'll probably be around on and off tonight so if you run into problems soon I might be able to fix them tonight.
>
> I started a testsuite run, but didn't get too far. There's a failure in testsuite/corba-testsuite/:
>
> [INFO] Geronimo TestSuite :: CORBA TestSuite :: Marshal EAR  FAILURE [1:08.700s]

fyi, this looks like the cause of the corba failure:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: On a thread without an initialized context
	at org.apache.geronimo.openwebbeans.GeronimoSingletonService.getContext(GeronimoSingletonService.java:62)
	at org.apache.geronimo.openwebbeans.GeronimoSingletonService.get(GeronimoSingletonService.java:56)
	at org.apache.geronimo.openwebbeans.GeronimoSingletonService.get(GeronimoSingletonService.java:31)
	at org.apache.webbeans.config.WebBeansFinder.getSingletonInstance(WebBeansFinder.java:51)
	at org.apache.webbeans.config.WebBeansContext.getInstance(WebBeansContext.java:143)
	at org.apache.openejb.BeanContext.newInstance(BeanContext.java:1109)
	at org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessInstanceManager.ceateInstance(StatelessInstanceManager.java:178)
	at org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessInstanceManager.getInstance(StatelessInstanceManager.java:171)
	at org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessContainer.invoke(StatelessContainer.java:173)
	at org.apache.geronimo.corba.StandardServant._invoke(StandardServant.java:250)
	at org.apache.yoko.orb.OBPortableServer.ServantDispatcher.dispatch(ServantDispatcher.java:187)
	at org.apache.yoko.orb.OBPortableServer.POA_impl._OB_dispatch(POA_impl.java:1644)
	at org.apache.yoko.orb.OB.DispatchRequest_impl.invoke(DispatchRequest_impl.java:56)
	at org.apache.yoko.orb.OB.DispatchThreadPerRequest_impl$Dispatcher.run(DispatchStrategyFactory_impl.java:78)

> I also tried the enterprise testsuite and got another failure:
>
> [INFO] Geronimo TestSuite :: CORBA TestSuite :: Marshal EAR  FAILURE [1:08.700s]

Oops. That was a bad copy/paste, should have been:

[INFO] Geronimo TestSuite :: Enterprise Testsuite :: JPA - EAR  FAILURE [1:10.774s]

Assume this is the cause...

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/geronimo/transformer/TransformerAgent
	at org.apache.geronimo.persistence.PersistenceUnitGBean$PersistenceUnitInfoImpl.addTransformer(PersistenceUnitGBean.java:393)
	at org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceProviderImpl.createContainerEntityManagerFactory(PersistenceProviderImpl.java:172)
	at org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceProviderImpl.createContainerEntityManagerFactory(PersistenceProviderImpl.java:66)
	at org.apache.geronimo.persistence.PersistenceUnitGBean.<init>(PersistenceUnitGBean.java:152)
	at org.apache.xbean.recipe.ReflectionUtil$ConstructorFactory.create(ReflectionUtil.java:958)
	at org.apache.xbean.recipe.ObjectRecipe.internalCreate(ObjectRecipe.java:276)
	at org.apache.xbean.recipe.AbstractRecipe.create(AbstractRecipe.java:96)
	at org.apache.xbean.recipe.AbstractRecipe.create(AbstractRecipe.java:61)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.createInstance(GBeanInstance.java:947)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart(GBeanInstanceState.java:271)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInstanceState.java:105)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.start(GBeanInstance.java:560)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanDependency.attemptFullStart(GBeanDependency.java:110)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanDependency.addTarget(GBeanDependency.java:145)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanDependency$1.running(GBeanDependency.java:119)
	at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicLifecycleMonitor.fireRunningEvent(BasicLifecycleMonitor.java:175)
	at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicLifecycleMonitor.access$300(BasicLifecycleMonitor.java:44)
	at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicLifecycleMonitor$RawLifecycleBroadcaster.fireRunningEvent(BasicLifecycleMonitor.java:253)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart(GBeanInstanceState.java:301)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInstanceState.java:105)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.startRecursive(GBeanInstanceState.java:127)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.startRecursive(GBeanInstance.java:574)
	at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.startRecursiveGBean(BasicKernel.java:394)
	at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfigurationGBeans(ConfigurationUtil.java:477)
	at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.KernelConfigurationManager.start(KernelConfigurationManager.java:268)
	at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfiguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:703)
	at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfiguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:682)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:131)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:886)
	at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:246)
	at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.KernelGBean.invoke(KernelGBean.java:349)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:131)
	at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:886)
	at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:246)
	at org.apache.geronimo.system.jmx.MBeanGBeanBridge.invoke(MBeanGBeanBridge.java:172)
	at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:836)
	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.invoke(JmxMBeanServer.java:761)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1427)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.access$200(RMIConnectionImpl.java:72)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$PrivilegedOperation.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1265)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doPrivilegedOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1367)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.invoke(RMIConnectionImpl.java:788)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor61.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:305)
	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:155)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:535)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:790)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:649)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.geronimo.transformer.TransformerAgent
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:467)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:429)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:417)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:107)
	... 70 more

Something for tomorrow...

--kevan

Re: Progress on osgi-friendliness

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

> Hi Forrest,
>
> I've pushed today's source to people.apache.org.  It compiles for me :-)  I just committed an update to OWB that makes it more compatible with aries proxying/weaving so you may want to build owb also.
>
> I'll probably be around on and off tonight so if you run into problems soon I might be able to fix them tonight.

I started a testsuite run, but didn't get too far. There's a failure in testsuite/corba-testsuite/:

[INFO] Geronimo TestSuite :: CORBA TestSuite :: Marshal EAR  FAILURE [1:08.700s]

I also tried the enterprise testsuite and got another failure:

[INFO] Geronimo TestSuite :: CORBA TestSuite :: Marshal EAR  FAILURE [1:08.700s]

To run:

cd testsuite/corba-testsuite/
mvn clean install -Pit -DassemblyId=tomcat

or

cd testsuite/enterprise-testsuite/
mvn clean install -Pit -DassemblyId=tomcat

should do it.

--kevan

Re: Progress on osgi-friendliness

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Forrest,

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On May 31, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On May 31, 2011, at 1:44 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> Locally I now have a server that runs eba-with-isolation using aries trunk and fixes a lot of the tck problems that showed up with this version.  However due to a problem with aries proxies changing the SerialVersionUID if it is not hardcoded on every serializable class I've had to add SerialVersionUID to a few hundred classes across several projects.  IMO most of these classes shouldn't have hardcoded serialVersionUIDs because they are not really intended for long-term compatibility and people will update the classes and forget to update the SerialVersionUID.
>>
>> The new aries proxy code also seems to consume significantly more permgen space.  I didn't investigate in detail but a full server runs out of permgen space around half way through starting with 128 MB permgen.  My server started OK with 1024 MB permgen.
>
> I'd be interested to see how much more memory it's using... Do you have a new drop of source? In what cases will Aries be building a proxy?

I pushed a binary and source zip onto my people.apache site.  IIUC the weaving code modifies every class for aop and this aop-ization is also used for proxies.  I could easily understand wrong.

>> It's possible to get eba-with-isolation working with a patched 0.3 aries but it looks like aries have made a backwards incompatible change to their project structure that makes releasing bug fixes for 0.3 implausible.
>
> I read the aries list (pretty quickly). I would think that it would be possible to insert a 0.3.1 fix release and move their trunk to 0.3.2. But I've probably not thought enough about the problem?
>
> From the looks of things, I think we want to avoid their current trunk.

I'd rather stay on trunk but every time I make a change there's a new problem.  Most recently the jcdi tests are mostly failing with a claim that all the beans have a final method.   I don't see why there can't be a 0.3.0.1 release.

>> To get the eba-with-isolation sample to work I had to add a lot of import-packages for jasper, el, and other internal classes.   This seems like a bad idea.... I'm wondering if I missed something about how this is supposed to work.  I'd expect this to be a problem for jsps in a wab as well.... how does the wab deployer deal with this?
>>
>> I'm not exactly sure how to proceed here...
>
> Is it possible to run without isolation? I'd very much rather see a more converged codebase. If we could run without isolation and minimize regression errors, that would be a big bonus, I think...

I don't know how to turn isolation off very easily.  I think it would mean installing a different set of aries bundles.  I also think there are some other fixes to 0.3 that we'll need if we go that route so we'd need a non-trunk release anyway.  I asked again on the aries dev list about a 0.3 bugfix release, lets see what they say.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 31, 2011, at 1:44 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> Locally I now have a server that runs eba-with-isolation using aries trunk and fixes a lot of the tck problems that showed up with this version.  However due to a problem with aries proxies changing the SerialVersionUID if it is not hardcoded on every serializable class I've had to add SerialVersionUID to a few hundred classes across several projects.  IMO most of these classes shouldn't have hardcoded serialVersionUIDs because they are not really intended for long-term compatibility and people will update the classes and forget to update the SerialVersionUID.
>
> The new aries proxy code also seems to consume significantly more permgen space.  I didn't investigate in detail but a full server runs out of permgen space around half way through starting with 128 MB permgen.  My server started OK with 1024 MB permgen.

I'd be interested to see how much more memory it's using... Do you have a new drop of source? In what cases will Aries be building a proxy?

> It's possible to get eba-with-isolation working with a patched 0.3 aries but it looks like aries have made a backwards incompatible change to their project structure that makes releasing bug fixes for 0.3 implausible.

I read the aries list (pretty quickly). I would think that it would be possible to insert a 0.3.1 fix release and move their trunk to 0.3.2. But I've probably not thought enough about the problem?

From the looks of things, I think we want to avoid their current trunk.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 18, 2011, at 8:47 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> This version had some problems such as the standalone commands (e.g. deploy) and the app client not starting.  I've fixed these and started integrating the aries 0.3 eba-with-isolation stuff.  The server starts for me but I haven't tried anything with eba yet beyond seeing that the bundles start.  I've also figured out an easier way to generate a source bundle.  Latest is at
>
> http://people.apache.org/~djencks/geronimo-3.0-SNAPSHOT-source-release.zip
>
> any comments would be great!

Builds fine for me. I ran the integration tests against a tomcat server. There was a failure in webservices and an EBA deployment problem in the aries test bucket. Everything else ran fine.

--kevan

Re: Progress on osgi-friendliness

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 18, 2011, at 8:47 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> This version had some problems such as the standalone commands (e.g. deploy) and the app client not starting.  I've fixed these and started integrating the aries 0.3 eba-with-isolation stuff.  The server starts for me but I haven't tried anything with eba yet beyond seeing that the bundles start.  I've also figured out an easier way to generate a source bundle.  Latest is at
>
> http://people.apache.org/~djencks/geronimo-3.0-SNAPSHOT-source-release.zip
>
> any comments would be great!

I ran a Jetty assembly through the java ee 6 testsuite bucket. Things look good there, also.

BTW, the junit test failures in geronimo-axis-builder on Mac OS have been fixed on trunk. So, you don't need to disable the tests in plugins/axis/geronimo-axis-builder/src/test/java/org/apache/geronimo/axis/builder/ServiceReferenceTest.java

--kevan

Re: Progress on osgi-friendliness

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.
I will give a try in the tck env, and update any findings. Thanks
David for the quick fix.

Forrest

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.