Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by "Marco A.G.Pinto" <ma...@mail.telepac.pt> on 2016/05/16 21:46:51 UTC

English Dictionaries update cycle

Hello!

The other day someone complained in the extension page that he had
updates all the time.

I replied to that person saying that I do monthly updates of the British
speller adding 600+ words.

I talked with JZA about the update frequency and I would like to know
your opinion about the update cycle (JZA suggested a 6 month cycle but I
need more opinions).

For Mozilla (Firefox + Thunderbird) the monthly is okay since it is a
small file (400-500 kB) with auto-update and only the British. Also,
every six weeks  a Mozilla upgrade comes out  and people want the
dictionary to be compatible with the latest alphas.

What is your opinion?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
         ------------------------

Re: English Dictionaries update cycle

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
Hello, Marco,

My suggestion would be to release updates in 6 month cycles or longer.
Your valuable updates happen alongside other updates and this adds up...
That's the only reason for me.

Otherwise, great work, keep it up!

Aivaras

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 17/05/2016 00:02, Keith N. McKenna wrote:

>  I use the American variant that has not been updated since January.

It has been at least two years since the English variant I use has been
updated.

###

What is the rationale for putting all of the English locale dictionaries
into the same extension?

If that really is needed, could locale specific extensions als be created?

jonathon

Re: English Dictionaries update cycle

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
toki wrote:
> On 17/05/2016 00:02, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>
>>  I use the American variant that has not been updated since January.
>
> It has been at least two years since the English variant I use has been
> updated.
>
> ###
>
> What is the rationale for putting all of the English locale dictionaries
> into the same extension?
>
> If that really is needed, could locale specific extensions als be created?
>
> jonathon

Johnathon;

I really do not remember what the original rational was. I do remember
that it goes back to before the move to Apache. I suspect it was a
convenience factor. This has been the extension distributed with the
en-US distribution of OpenOffice for quite some time.

As far as having individual extensions done that would need to be
discussed with the maintainers of the dictionaries. Remember that they
are distributed s extensions and as such the project has no direct
control over them.

If any others have a longer memory than mine as to why the five
dictionaries were combined feel free to add to this.

Regards
Keith

Re: English Dictionaries update cycle

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Marco A.G.Pinto wrote:
> Hello!
>
> The other day someone complained in the extension page that he had
> updates all the time.
>
> I replied to that person saying that I do monthly updates of the British
> speller adding 600+ words.
>
> I talked with JZA about the update frequency and I would like to know
> your opinion about the update cycle (JZA suggested a 6 month cycle but I
> need more opinions).
>
> For Mozilla (Firefox + Thunderbird) the monthly is okay since it is a
> small file (400-500 kB) with auto-update and only the British. Also,
> every six weeks  a Mozilla upgrade comes out  and people want the
> dictionary to be compatible with the latest alphas.
>
> What is your opinion?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kind regards,
>        >Marco A.G.Pinto
>          ------------------------
>
> --
Marco;

For me a 6 month cycle would be fine. I use the American variant that
has not been updated since January.  So that makes 4 months that I have
had to either install an update that was of no value to me, or invest
the time to check exactly what was updated and decide if putting up with
the nag to update every time I start AOO is worth not installing it.

Regards
Keith

Re: English Dictionaries update cycle

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/16/2016 11:46 PM, schrieb Marco A.G.Pinto:
> The other day someone complained in the extension page that he had
> updates all the time.
>
> I replied to that person saying that I do monthly updates of the British
> speller adding 600+ words.

Interesting, I wouldn't expect such a complaint for a spell checker. ;-)

> I talked with JZA about the update frequency and I would like to know
> your opinion about the update cycle (JZA suggested a 6 month cycle but I
> need more opinions).
>
> For Mozilla (Firefox + Thunderbird) the monthly is okay since it is a
> small file (400-500 kB) with auto-update and only the British. Also,
> every six weeks  a Mozilla upgrade comes out  and people want the
> dictionary to be compatible with the latest alphas.
>
> What is your opinion?

I would ask the complainer what he would suggest. Then add the opinions
from others. At the end you should take this into account and decide for
yourself what the best update frequence is.

As an extra you can write a short note at the extension webpage about
the reason for your update frequence. Then others know your motivation.

My 2ct.

Marcus

Re: English Dictionaries update cycle

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Marcus wrote:
> Am 05/17/2016 01:55 AM, schrieb Keith N. McKenna:
>> Marcus wrote:

>>> Interesting, I wouldn't expect such a complaint for a spell checker. ;-)
>>>
>> [knmc]
>>
>> I suspect the reason for the complaint is because the extension includes
>> multiple variants of the English language, but the monthly updates are
>> only to the British variant which is a fairly small part of the total
>> downloads of the English language. That leaves those that use other
>> variants having to upgrade the extension for little gain or to put up
>> with the nag every time AOO is started about there being extension
>> upgrades. For example I use the en-US dictionaries and the last time it
>> was updated was January of 2016. Since that time there have been 4
>> updates to the oxt file that I have had no need for.
>
> didn't know that the English languages are all-in-one. Thanks for the
> clarification. That changes indeed also my opinion that the update
> frequence is then too short and should be increaced. IMHO every 3 months
> is better.
>
> Marcus
You are very welcome Marcus.

Re: English Dictionaries update cycle

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Marcus wrote:
> didn't know that the English languages are all-in-one. Thanks for the
> clarification. That changes indeed also my opinion that the update
> frequence is then too short and should be increaced. IMHO every 3 months
> is better.

Yes, 3-4 times a year should be OK. Preferably keeping some flexibility
to make sure it is aligned with OpenOffice releases (to avoid that a new
OpenOffice release is published and two days later there is a dictionary
update: Marco has always been very collaborative with this for past
releases).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: English Dictionaries update cycle

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Marcus wrote:
> Am 05/16/2016 11:46 PM, schrieb Marco A.G.Pinto:
>> The other day someone complained in the extension page that he had
>> updates all the time.
>>
>> I replied to that person saying that I do monthly updates of the British
>> speller adding 600+ words.
>
> Interesting, I wouldn't expect such a complaint for a spell checker. ;-)

[knmc]

I suspect the reason for the complaint is because the extension includes
multiple variants of the English language, but the monthly updates are
only to the British variant which is a fairly small part of the total
downloads of the English language. That leaves those that use other
variants having to upgrade the extension for little gain or to put up
with the nag every time AOO is started about there being extension
upgrades. For example I use the en-US dictionaries and the last time it
was updated was January of 2016. Since that time there have been 4
updates to the oxt file that I have had no need for.

<snip>