Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org> on 2018/04/03 15:48:22 UTC

What do people think about a one day get together?

Hey All,

In light of growing interest in Apache Arrow over the past year and the
great response to the meetup talk invitation I sent last week, I was
thinking it may be time to hold a single day conference focused on the
project. Wes and I have previously thrown this idea around and it seems
like it might be a good time to get something started. Some of my
colleagues did an investigation on how and when we could do this. I'm
raising this to you all now to get people's thoughts.

A rough sketch of what Wes and I have bounced around:

*One day developer-focused event on Apache Arrow in San Francisco, June 7,
just after Spark Summit (open to other dates, but it would be nice for
folks attending the conference to stay one extra day for Arrow).

* Focus on interesting use cases and applications of Arrow. We could also
use this event to discuss/plan/present about movement to Arrow 1.0 this
year and beyond.

*Goal of 100-200 attendees.

*Dremio can offer to organize the event (venue, logistics, registrations,
etc). The goal would be to keep ticket costs very modest to encourage
attendance (eg, $50). Opportunity for sponsorship by vendors to help drive
down costs (eg, refreshments).

*Still need to determine a venue but probably something downtown SF nearish
Moscone.

*PMC or appointed sub-committee could review talk submissions. We could use
something like EasyChair to make this as simple as possible.

What do people think? I think this could be good to continue to drive and
grow the community in a positive way.

thanks,
Jacques

Re: What do people think about a one day get together?

Posted by "Arun K. Subramaniyan" <sa...@gmail.com>.
This is a great idea. Would love to meet the teams and learn their specific
applicaitons.

Regards,
Arun

Posted by Sourav Mazumder <so...@gmail.com>.
+ 1

I would love to attend too. I would be there in Spark summit and presenting
too there.

Regards,
Sourav Mazumder
Data Science Center of Competency