Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Matthew Tordoff <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2008/04/11 17:52:49 UTC

Highly Available Archiva

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience in setting up Archiva in a highly available manner? What is the best considered approach for doing this? Is it possible to replicate deployments to a server across all other servers in a cluster? Are there any options for automatic failover?

Any advice or pointers on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Matt T

The next generation of Windows Live is here
http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live

Re: Highly Available Archiva

Posted by Joshua ChaitinPollak <jp...@kivasystems.com>.
You could try LinuxHA, or a commercial solution like ServiceGuard or
SteelEye.

--
Joshua ChaitinPollak | Software Engineer
Kiva Systems, Inc., 225 Wildwood Ave, Woburn, MA 01970

Re: Highly Available Archiva

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Nick Stolwijk <ni...@planet.nl> wrote:
> I know Archiva is run on a JCR (JackRabbit) repository. I've setup a
> Jackrabbit cluster on a clustered oracle database. (So twice clustering, one
> for the repo, one for the db). I think it shouldn't be too hard to implement
> this with Archiva also.

I believe Artifactory is the one that uses JCR behind the scenes.

For Archiva I use a setup similar to the one Jason described -- shared
filesystem with multiple servers behind a VIP.  (You'll need to
configure separate index and database directories for each server as
those shouldn't be shared.)

--
Wendy

Re: Highly Available Archiva

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 18-Apr-08, at 1:30 AM, Yoav Landman wrote:

> I guess the above approach is fine if you have basic requirements
> from a
> repository manager and are willing to go for one that:
>
> - Treats artifacts as just files, discarding any extra metadata that
> cannot
> be maintained using the file system, such as: who deployed an
> artifact, how
> many times it has been downloaded, inter-artifact dependencies etc.

We don't discard any artifact metadata. That doesn't need to be stored
in a database.

> - Does not need security and therefore does not have to deal with
> storage of
> ACLs.

Having security is not predicated on using a database, and we'll
demonstrate that.

> - Does not need atomic/transactional deployments and/or concurrency
> controls
> and willing to live with the chance of being left with half baked
> deployments.

Also not true. We'll also demonstrate this, but there's nothing you
can do right now because the problem is on the Maven side where there
is no atomic semantics so it's a two pronged approach for correct
operation. We're working on the Maven side and the repository manager
side to make sure it's simple, file-based, and safe.

> BTW, the latest Artifactory achieves HA by using *only* DB
> replication (not
> a combination of DB and FS). HA and ACID usually go together and
> Artifactory
> is doing it.
>
> Yoav Landman
> The Artifactory Project Lead
>

> Jason van Zyl-2 wrote:
>>
>> It's twice as hard then simply replicating a file system. Try in a
>> large organization getting DBAs and the sysadmins synced up. It's
>> just
>> easier replicating the filesystem. Less moving parts equals better.
>>
>> On 11-Apr-08, at 12:39 PM, Nick Stolwijk wrote:
>>> I know Archiva is run on a JCR (JackRabbit) repository. I've setup a
>>> Jackrabbit cluster on a clustered oracle database. (So twice
>>> clustering, one for the repo, one for the db). I think it shouldn't
>>> be too hard to implement this with Archiva also.
>>>
>>> Hth,
>>>
>>> Nick S.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> jason at sonatype dot com
>>
>> You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
>> No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise
>> tomorrow.
>> They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
>> dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
>> dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
>> goals are in doubt.
>>
>> -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com