Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Neelesh Gurnani <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2001/08/07 08:39:35 UTC

generic way of invoking web services.

Hi,

I am new to the soap world. I have a question
regarding writing clients
Given a web service definition i.e the wsdl for a
particular service, has anybody implemented a generic
java utility to invoke the service methods.
I looked at the dynamic proxy article in javaworld but
that also requires you to write and distribute the
java interface for your web service which would mean
changes on client side.
Suggestions would be welcome.

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Re: generic way of invoking web services.

Posted by Radovan Janecek <ja...@idoox.com>.
Hi,

there is no code portability (like in the CORBA world) supported among SOAP
runtimes.
It is unclear to me, what is your exact motivation for this. Anyway, I think
that you should use javax.wsdl.* package (Java API for WSDL) that allows you
to use "stadartized reflections" on WSDL and then you can use (proprietary!)
APIs to call appropriate WSDL operations.

For example, Idoox WASP (http://www.idoox.com/eap/wasp/index.html) offers
the implementation of javax.wsdl.* packages as well as DII style of web
services invocation, so you should be able to achieve the goal you have
described.

I'm not sure I understood your question correctly...

Radovan

Posted by Radovan Janecek <ja...@idoox.com>.
Hi,

Posted by graham glass <gr...@mindspring.com>.
GLUE includes this facility.
see the "invoking" section of the user guide,
especially Registry.invoke().

cheers,
graham

http://www.themindelectric.com

Posted by Julian Gosnell <ju...@yahoo.com>.
assuming you have a copy of the deployment descriptor
(otherwise how will you know which methods to call?),
you have a list of all the service's published methods
(the only problem is - you don't have their
signatures).

from this you could generate an interface in which
every method took parameters (Params).

then you could implement this interface via a proxy
which just called the equivalent method on a SOAP
service (to which you had previously bound it
somehow).

Obviously you'd get a better proxy if the service
declared a separate interface that was to be it's SOAP
API, then distributed a copy of it (complete with
signatures), but beggars can't be choosers. If the
compiler could check everything, it would take all the
fun out of it !

Sound crazy ?

Jules

P.S.

Let me know if you go this way, I'd be interested in
getting a copy of the code....

Posted by Julian Gosnell <ju...@yahoo.com>.