Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Henry Kwan <sp...@mail.designmedia.com> on 2004/09/13 23:35:13 UTC

Still running as root?

Hi.

I've been running SA for awhile now and recently tried to install it on
another machine.  Everything installs fine (make tests=100%) and seem to run
but in /var/log/maillog, I get these entries:

info: setuid to root succeeded
spamd[15901]: Still running as root: user not specified with -u, not found,
or set to root.  Fall back to nobody.

I looked at my other machine's maillog and these entries don't pop up as
spamd can setuid to the proper user.  When I look at the spamd process, both
seem identical:

Machine 1 (original):
12746     1  0 12:30 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -a -m5 -H

Machine 2 (new install):
15886     1  0 14:21 ?        00:00:03 /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -a -m5 -H

They both invoke spamd from /etc/procmailrc:

:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamc

Anybody run into this issue before?

Thanks.

--Henry Kwan

Re: Still running as root?

Posted by Henry Kwan <sp...@designmedia.com>.
Dan Mahoney, System Admin <danm <at> prime.gushi.org> writes:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, John Fleming wrote:
>
> It's in the manual.  Add the following line to your system wide procmail
> file:
>
> DROPPRIVS=YES
>
> -Dan

That was it.  Problem solved.  Thanks for the tip.

I looked on the wiki and in the readme file for spamd but didn't see it there.

--Henry Kwan

P.S.  On my other machine, I run some other procmail recipes and DROPPRIVs
already was buried in one of those scripts which was why it worked on that
machine.

Re: Still running as root?

Posted by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org>.

--

"Let me tell you something about regrowing your dead wife Lucy, Harry.
It's probably illegal, potentially dangerous, and definitely crazy."

-Harry nods-

Vincent Spano, as Boris in "Creator".

Re: Still running as root?

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
Which version of SA?  This sounds like a problem in some of the earlier cuts
at 3.0.

        Loren