Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2010/03/17 01:13:52 UTC

GSoC projects?

Hi,

Do we want to propose any projects for Google Summer of Code for Archiva?

These are the sorts of ones I can think of:
- MRM-976 - introduce a better event API
- MRM-1209 - project tree view
- MRM-980 - merging repositories
- MRM-1021 - staging / promotion
- atomic deployment (as discussed by Marc on here recently)
- Propose your own / pick from from the backlog

Thoughts / volunteers / priorities?

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: GSoC projects?

Posted by Deng Ching <od...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Brett! Shall I add these five items you've proposed to the ASF JIRA
for the GSoC mentoring? Or should we cut it down further? Dan voted on
MRM-1021 (staging/promotion) as a priority :) It's also fine by me if we'll
prioritize that feature.

- MRM-976 - introduce a better event API
- MRM-1209 - project tree view
- MRM-980 - merging repositories
- MRM-1021 - staging / promotion
- atomic deployment (as discussed by Marc on here recently)

Thanks,
Deng

Re: GSoC projects?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: GSoC projects?

Posted by Deng Ching <oc...@apache.org>.

Re: GSoC projects?

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
MRM-1021 - staging / promotion

Re: GSoC projects?

Posted by Deng Ching <oc...@apache.org>.

Re: GSoC projects?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM, James Dumay <jd...@atlassian.com> wrote:
> It would be amazing if we could back the entire application onto something
> like git or mercurial (including artifacts and metadata) so that we could
> have VCS-like auditing abilities. No Maven repository I am aware of can deal
> with versioning yet.

I believe the Nexus guys tried it (with svn) and said it was just too
slow.  Subversion, at least, isn't optimized for dealing with large
binary files.

Since artifacts don't change after they are deployed, I don't see much
benefit of putting them under version control.  (And often a Maven
conversion involves getting jars *out* of the version control system.
:) )

Archiva has audit logs... perhaps improving those and providing
whatever search/reporting is missing would be a better way to go?

--
Wendy

Re: GSoC projects?

Posted by James Dumay <jd...@atlassian.com>.
It would be amazing if we could back the entire application onto something
like git or mercurial (including artifacts and metadata) so that we could
have VCS-like auditing abilities. No Maven repository I am aware of can deal
with versioning yet.

James

Re: GSoC projects?

Posted by eshan sudharaka <es...@gmail.com>.
hi,

Re: GSoC projects?

Posted by eshan sudharaka <es...@gmail.com>.
hi Deng,

Re: GSoC projects?

Posted by Deng Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
No, I don't think it's ethical :)
Eshan, kindly see our comments in the separate thread Wendy forked for the
discussion regarding the staging repos..

Thanks!

-Deng

Re: GSoC projects?

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.