Posted to dev@ibatis.apache.org by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/26 08:02:14 UTC

iBATIS DTD served every 2 seconds

Hi everyone,

Guess what!  On average, an iBATIS DTD is served up every 1.8 seconds from
ibatis.com, and nearly 1.5 million per month.

I know this because it's taking down my new web hosting service.  Which
sucks and, as far as I'm concerned, it's all due to WestHost sucking as a
service provider (Pair.com had no issues for the last 5 years).

I know 1 per 2 seconds doesn't sound like much...realize that that's just
the average.  The reality is that some hours during the day, DTDs are being
requested at an incredible rate, an average of 32 per second, which still
doesn't sound like a lot -- but what can I say, WestHost sucks.

Unfortunately I signed up for 2.5 years.  :-)  Think they'll give me a
refund...no.  Anyway...

So:

   - Nearly a year ago I warned that the iBATIS DTDs will be moved to
   Apache, and the warning has been on the homepage for just as long.
   - The DTDs should be resolved from the JAR file if you're using a
   modern version.
   - It's time to finally pull the plug.

In 72 hours, I will remove the DTDs from iBATIS.com forever.

You don't need to upgrade iBATIS to fix the problem, you just need to change
your XML files.

<!DOCTYPE sqlMapConfig
  PUBLIC "-//ibatis.apache.org//DTD SQL Map Config 2.0//EN"
  "http://ibatis.apache.org/dtd/sql-map-config-2.dtd">

<!DOCTYPE sqlMap
  PUBLIC "-//ibatis.apache.org//DTD SQL Map 2.0//EN"
  "http://ibatis.apache.org/dtd/sql-map-2.dtd">

<!DOCTYPE daoConfig
  PUBLIC "-//ibatis.apache.org//DTD DAO Configuration 2.0//EN"
  "http://ibatis.apache.org/dtd/dao-2.dtd">

Oh look, it's 11pm on the west coast. That means at 11pm on Friday, the DTDs
will be gone.

Sorry for any inconvenience.  But you have had a year.  :-)

Best regards.

Clinton

Re: iBATIS DTD served every 2 seconds

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guido,

You should change your DTD to resolve from ibatis.apache.org, as per the
examples in my previous email.

iBATIS uses a custom entity resolver that will detect either the public or
system identifier for ibatis.com or apache.org to load the DTD from the JAR
file.  You don't have to do anything special.

But you should use the proper doctype anyway.  I think most of the hits are
from other kinds of tools, XML parsers that aren't paying attention to the
entity resolver and old versions of iBATIS that were very strict about what
was resolved from the JAR (using a very specifi public OR system
identifier).

So you shouldn't have a problem.   But you have had a year.   ;-)

Cheers,
Clinton

Posted by Guido García Bernardo <gg...@tid.es>.
I'm worried about that...

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
The DTD is already in the WEB-INF/lib, as they're included in the JAR
files.  :-)

Cheers,
Clinton

Posted by netsql <ce...@gmail.com>.