Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/14 19:04:37 UTC

Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:34, Pedro Giffuni <gi...@tutopia.com> wrote:
> One doubt I have is whether the historic metadata from the previous OOo
> Hg/bugzilla will also be imported. I would guess in the SVN repository
> we want to start from scratch with the donated code, so the previous
> history in Hg can remain where it is. The bugzilla database probably
> has uncommitted code that is nevertheless property of OpenOffice.org.

I believe that we want to bring over the history during the migration.

1) Oracle will shut down the Hg server one day. If we don't bring over
history, then it gets lost.

2) We have clear rights to a list of files, which definitely means the
current version. We can bring over previous versions under "fair use"
rules since we never intend to *release* them. We will simply make
them available on the web, much like Oracle is doing today.[1]

3) Having the history will make it a lot easier for our developers who
need to investigate why something was done in a particular way.

Right now, I believe our biggest impediment to an import is the list
of "which files?". We know there are gaps... we need to figure out
which files are necessary to fill those gaps, then request them from
Oracle.

Cheers,
-g

[1] this "fair use" position was described by Danese to me over the
weekend, and comes from the analysis that Sun lawyers did years ago on
the codebase. the approach sounds perfectly fine to me. cc'ing
legal-discuss for any further conversation.

Re: Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)

Posted by Jens-Heiner Rechtien <jh...@web.de>.
On 06/17/2011 10:12 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 08:55, Jens-Heiner Rechtien<jh...@web.de>  wrote:
>> The OOO340 codeline contains the DEV300_m106 tag so OOO340 is definitely
>> branched of DEV300_m106, which is incidentally also the very last milestone
>> we did on DEV300. Using m103 does not make sense at all. But if the grant
>> includes all the "work in progress" in the CWSs we can easily use OOO340m1
>> as staring point, as it just contains a few more recent CWS integrations.
>> It's almost equivalent as to using DEV300 m103 and redoing the latest
>> integrations.
>
> The grant only includes the files that Sam listed. ie. none of the CWSs.
>
> It would be best to specify the exact list of files we need, including
> those from CWSs. Present that final list to Oracle, and go.
>
> Note that we probably want to avoid going back a second time, if at
> all possible. Hauling in Oracle Legal to review our request probably
> won't be very workable (say) next year :-P

Tell me about it :-)

It's just that DEV300 m103 is a kinda strange milestone to base a grant
on it. Does someone know why it's DEV300 m103 and not DEV300 m106 or
OOO340 m1?

Regards
    Heiner

--
Jens-Heiner Rechtien

Re: Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 17, 2011, at 1:12 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 08:55, Jens-Heiner Rechtien <jh...@web.de> wrote:
>> The OOO340 codeline contains the DEV300_m106 tag so OOO340 is definitely
>> branched of DEV300_m106, which is incidentally also the very last milestone
>> we did on DEV300. Using m103 does not make sense at all. But if the grant
>> includes all the "work in progress" in the CWSs we can easily use OOO340m1
>> as staring point, as it just contains a few more recent CWS integrations.
>> It's almost equivalent as to using DEV300 m103 and redoing the latest
>> integrations.
>
> The grant only includes the files that Sam listed. ie. none of the CWSs.
>
> It would be best to specify the exact list of files we need, including
> those from CWSs. Present that final list to Oracle, and go.
>
> Note that we probably want to avoid going back a second time, if at
> all possible. Hauling in Oracle Legal to review our request probably
> won't be very workable (say) next year :-P

We will need to include other item than the repository in this single dip.

- the bugzilla database (certainly)
- user forums (possibly)
- user registrations (anonymized, but important for marketing purposes.)
- user experience data
- ...

Doing so will be to Oracle's benefit as that way they will help heal their rift.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

OT: OpenOffice + Apache = Open content Innovation

Posted by "Pedro F. Giffuni" <gi...@tutopia.com>.
While there's not much technical stuff going on yet until the
repository transfer is made, I thought I'd share this positive
perspective on having OpenOffice as an Apache project:

http://opensource.com/business/11/6/openoffice-apache-open-content-innovation

cheers,

Pedro.

ps. In the same line I really like Kai Ahrens' plans for SVG support.

Re: Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)

Posted by Kai Ahrens <ka...@ahrens-netz.de>.
Hi,

Am 17.06.2011 14:55, schrieb Jens-Heiner Rechtien:
> The OOO340 codeline contains the DEV300_m106 tag so OOO340 is definitely
> branched of DEV300_m106, which is incidentally also the very last
> milestone we did on DEV300. Using m103 does not make sense at all. But
> if the grant includes all the "work in progress" in the CWSs we can
> easily use OOO340m1 as staring point, as it just contains a few more
> recent CWS integrations. It's almost equivalent as to using DEV300 m103
> and redoing the latest integrations.

using OOO340_m1 or even DEV300_m106 would be really awesome, since these
milestones contain the new SVG import feature, implemented by me for the
3.4 release, which allows OOo to handle SVG files.

The current implementation relies on librsvg and depending libraries as
external libs for rendering purposes. Since the rendering part is
separated from the infrastructure part and implemented via an UNO
component, it will be easy to replace this component by a component that
relies on Apache Batik as background renderer.

I'd be happy to take care of making the necessary changes in order to
have the SVG feature - then relying on Batik - available within the
first ASF release of OOo.

I'm going to make an appropriate proposal as soon as the decision
regarding the milestone to be used will have been made by us.

Regards
Kai

Re: Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)

Posted by Jens-Heiner Rechtien <jh...@web.de>.
On 06/17/2011 10:42 AM, Mathias Bauer wrote:
> On 17.06.2011 10:01, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Mathias
>> Bauer<Ma...@gmx.net>wrote:
>>
>>> If we did it this way, my recommendation would be not to use the
>>> DEV300m103
>>> milestone (that was used in the grant) but the most recent OOO340m1
>>> milestone. This would force me to check my list for any new files,
>>> but that
>>> isn't a big problem.
>>>

>> FYI, from looking at the changesets in OOO340 (tip rev c904c1944462) that
>> are not in DEV300_m103 (rev 1bdfec44e7ce), it appears there are 144 new
>> files (it "appears," because sometimes it is a bit hard to tell moved or
>> split files from genuinely new ones):
>
> (snip)
>
> Most files are "business as usual", so I don't expect problems with them.
>
> Maybe these two files need investigation:
>
>> xmlsecurity/test_docs/CAs/Root_11/demoCA/newcerts/1022.pem
>> xmlsecurity/test_docs/certs/end_certs/User_35_Root_11.crt
>
> And we will probably remove parts of the new package stuff later, as it
> contains AES encryption based on nss code (IIRC).
>
>> The other way around, DEV300 (tip rev 6b24005a31b8) past DEV300_m103 (why
>> was such an old version chosen, anyway?) contains changesets not in
>> OOO340
>> (tip rev c904c1944462), but for new files, this appears to only amount to
>> three harmless ones:
>> offapi/com/sun/star/awt/grid/SelectionEventType.idl
>> toolkit/qa/complex/toolkit/makefile.mk
>> toolkit/qa/unoapi/makefile.mk
>
> That's interesting. AFAIR OOO340m0 was branched from DEV300m106 - I
> wonder why something was integrated into DEV300 past the branch-off date.

The OOO340 codeline contains the DEV300_m106 tag so OOO340 is definitely
branched of DEV300_m106, which is incidentally also the very last
milestone we did on DEV300. Using m103 does not make sense at all. But
if the grant includes all the "work in progress" in the CWSs we can
easily use OOO340m1 as staring point, as it just contains a few more
recent CWS integrations. It's almost equivalent as to using DEV300 m103
and redoing the latest integrations.

Regards,
    Heiner

--
Jens-Heiner Rechtien

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Marcus Lange <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/17/2011 12:49 PM, schrieb Reizinger Zoltán:
> 2011.06.17. 11:26 keltezéssel, Stephan Bergmann írta:
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Mathias
>> Bauer<Ma...@gmx.net>wrote:

>>> was such an old version chosen, anyway?) contains changesets not in
>>> OOO340
>>>>
>>> That's interesting. AFAIR OOO340m0 was branched from DEV300m106 - I
>>> wonder
>>> why something was integrated into DEV300 past the branch-off date.
>>
>> Sorry, my fault. Those are apparently files that got *removed* with
>> changesets added to OOO340 after it was spawned off from DEV300_m106
>> (rev 38188af12de4). The only two changesets added to DEV300 after
>> spawning
>> off OOO340 (rev 5d377dd89e6b and 6b24005a31b8) are small masterfixes
>> whose
>> content is apparently also applied to OOO340 (via independent
>> changesets).
>>
>> So, in short, current OOO340 tip rev c904c1944462 contains everything
>> available on DEV300 and thus represents the most recent status of the OOo
>> code base.
>>
> May be not, some cws not integrated into DEV300m106 and OOO340 codline.
> I think one is the hsqldb19 which introduces HSQLDB 2.2.x into OOo which
> was not finished to OOo 3.4 split, and waited for integration to OOo 3.5.
> May be some bugfixes to database in cws fs34b and fs34c, I'm not sure,
> about their state in OOo340m1, because QA was finished later than OOo
> 3.4beta (OOO340m0).

when die Migration of the source code will be done, also the not yet
integrated CWSs should be transferred. So, the very most last work
should be save, too. At least that's my hope.

Marcus

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.
2011.06.17. 11:26 keltezéssel, Stephan Bergmann írta:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Mathias Bauer<Ma...@gmx.net>wrote:
>
>> On 17.06.2011 10:01, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>>
>>> The other way around, DEV300 (tip rev 6b24005a31b8) past DEV300_m103 (why
>> was such an old version chosen, anyway?) contains changesets not in OOO340
>>> (tip rev c904c1944462), but for new files, this appears to only amount to
>>> three harmless ones:
>>> offapi/com/sun/star/awt/grid/**SelectionEventType.idl
>>> toolkit/qa/complex/toolkit/mak**efile.mk<http://makefile.mk>
>>> toolkit/qa/unoapi/makefile.mk
>>>
>> That's interesting. AFAIR OOO340m0 was branched from DEV300m106 - I wonder
>> why something was integrated into DEV300 past the branch-off date.
>
> Sorry, my fault.  Those are apparently files that got *removed* with
> changesets added to OOO340 after it was spawned off from DEV300_m106
> (rev 38188af12de4).  The only two changesets added to DEV300 after spawning
> off OOO340 (rev 5d377dd89e6b and 6b24005a31b8) are small masterfixes whose
> content is apparently also applied to OOO340 (via independent changesets).
>
> So, in short, current OOO340 tip rev c904c1944462 contains everything
> available on DEV300 and thus represents the most recent status of the OOo
> code base.

May be not, some cws not integrated into DEV300m106 and OOO340 codline.
I think one is the hsqldb19 which introduces HSQLDB 2.2.x into OOo which
was not finished to OOo 3.4 split, and waited for integration to OOo 3.5.
May be some bugfixes to database in cws fs34b and fs34c, I'm not sure,
about their state in OOo340m1, because QA was finished later than OOo
3.4beta (OOO340m0).

Zoltan

Re: Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)

Posted by Stephan Bergmann <st...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>wrote:

> On 17.06.2011 10:01, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>
>> The other way around, DEV300 (tip rev 6b24005a31b8) past DEV300_m103 (why
>
> was such an old version chosen, anyway?) contains changesets not in OOO340
>> (tip rev c904c1944462), but for new files, this appears to only amount to
>> three harmless ones:
>> offapi/com/sun/star/awt/grid/**SelectionEventType.idl
>> toolkit/qa/complex/toolkit/mak**efile.mk <http://makefile.mk>
>> toolkit/qa/unoapi/makefile.mk
>>

> That's interesting. AFAIR OOO340m0 was branched from DEV300m106 - I wonder
> why something was integrated into DEV300 past the branch-off date.

Sorry, my fault.  Those are apparently files that got *removed* with
changesets added to OOO340 after it was spawned off from DEV300_m106
(rev 38188af12de4).  The only two changesets added to DEV300 after spawning
off OOO340 (rev 5d377dd89e6b and 6b24005a31b8) are small masterfixes whose
content is apparently also applied to OOO340 (via independent changesets).

So, in short, current OOO340 tip rev c904c1944462 contains everything
available on DEV300 and thus represents the most recent status of the OOo
code base.

-Stephan

Re: Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
On 17.06.2011 10:01, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Mathias Bauer<Ma...@gmx.net>wrote:
>
>> If we did it this way, my recommendation would be not to use the DEV300m103
>> milestone (that was used in the grant) but the most recent OOO340m1
>> milestone. This would force me to check my list for any new files, but that
>> isn't a big problem.
>>

> FYI, from looking at the changesets in OOO340 (tip rev c904c1944462) that
> are not in DEV300_m103 (rev 1bdfec44e7ce), it appears there are 144 new
> files (it "appears," because sometimes it is a bit hard to tell moved or
> split files from genuinely new ones):

(snip)

Most files are "business as usual", so I don't expect problems with them.

Maybe these two files need investigation:

> xmlsecurity/test_docs/CAs/Root_11/demoCA/newcerts/1022.pem
> xmlsecurity/test_docs/certs/end_certs/User_35_Root_11.crt

And we will probably remove parts of the new package stuff later, as it
contains AES encryption based on nss code (IIRC).

> The other way around, DEV300 (tip rev 6b24005a31b8) past DEV300_m103 (why
> was such an old version chosen, anyway?) contains changesets not in OOO340
> (tip rev c904c1944462), but for new files, this appears to only amount to
> three harmless ones:
> offapi/com/sun/star/awt/grid/SelectionEventType.idl
> toolkit/qa/complex/toolkit/makefile.mk
> toolkit/qa/unoapi/makefile.mk

That's interesting. AFAIR OOO340m0 was branched from DEV300m106 - I
wonder why something was integrated into DEV300 past the branch-off date.

Regards,
Mathias

Re: Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
This is awesome work, guys.

I just got worried by a couple phrases in email (it happens!), but it
looks like things are good. I understand the "negative" aspect, so I
can see that can be easier. That works just fine, although the
Software Grant needs positive (easy enough).

Moving up to a more recent milestone is good.

Whatever you guys think is best... is great. We just want to be
careful to avoid asking for something Oracle cannot provide. Within
that constraint: have fun :-)

Cheers,
-g

Posted by Stephan Bergmann <st...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
On 16.06.2011 21:39, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 07:18, Mathias Bauer<Ma...@gmx.net>  wrote:
>> I now have a list of files that IMHO can't be part of the software grant. A
>> list with all other files is worked on by Oracle.
>
> Umm. I don't think Oracle is working on any additional lists. We have
> to come up with the list of files that we want Oracle to grant us.

As Andrew answered, this is exactly what I have done. "Worked on by
Oracle" should be read as "was transferred to someone at Oracle". Sorry
for being unclear.

> We cannot get a Software Grant from Oracle for these. Instead, we will
> grab the source code and import them into a "third party" area of our
> source control (or possibly wherever they would best live; I tend to
> like grouping third party code). As Sam mentioned later, if some of
> this code ends up as "not allowed" in our repository, then we can rip
> it out. Being in the Incubator gives us a bit more flexibility in what
> can live within the repository.

Indeed it would be much easier to create a "negative" list of files that
must be removed from the code base than a "positive" list of files that
are allowed to stay in it. I already have a starting point for this
"negative" list. As I wrote, I have collected lists of files that Oracle
does not have copyright for and by checking their license we can achieve
our goal. The "positive" list I forwarded to Andrew contains ten
thousands of files, the "negative" list that I'm still refininf (thus
creating new items for the "positive" list) only a few hundred. And
while the former is still incomplete, the latter already is complete and
only contains some additional entries that we will remove by our
investigations.

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
Also, there will probably be content that is archived elsewhere.  I
think it is highly unlikely any of the previous OOo releases could be
relicensed.
That would probably preclude transferring them to ASF.  This is not to
say that this content should disappear, only that some types of content
cannot be transferred, and other content may not be interesting to transfer.

A.

RE: Subversion history

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
OK, good to know.

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Luke Kowalski <lu...@oracle.com>.
Simon,

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Marcus Lange <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin <
robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > When Oracle will shutdown the main server for distributing release files,
> > then also the mirrors will delete them (except GWDG which I've asked to
> host
> > the files longer).
> >
> > So, we have to rebuild a little mirror system if we want this structure
> > back. But maybe it's enough to have all older builds on a single
> > (non-Apache) server?
>
> IMO continuity of hosting and comprehensive archival (for the record)
> are important but orthogonal.
>
> Going back to the start of this thread, archive.org has long term
> archival expertise. I don't see any need for formality or ceremony
> before initial contact. IMHO it'd be cool if a volunteer at least let
> them know what was happening and discovered whether they might be able
> to help with long term archival. (This contribution would not require
> commit karma ;-)

The main issue with leaving the archive.org service to "just happen" is
download links, which don't get archived by default. I made a tentative
enquiry to their info alias and will report back when there's a response.
Given how upset some people seem to get whenever I attempt to contribute
here I'm making sure to check in before trying to do anything anyway, so
those with concerns can breathe easy :-)

S.

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

<snip>

> When Oracle will shutdown the main server for distributing release files,
> then also the mirrors will delete them (except GWDG which I've asked to host
> the files longer).
>
> So, we have to rebuild a little mirror system if we want this structure
> back. But maybe it's enough to have all older builds on a single
> (non-Apache) server?

IMO continuity of hosting and comprehensive archival (for the record)
are important but orthogonal.

Going back to the start of this thread, archive.org has long term
archival expertise. I don't see any need for formality or ceremony
before initial contact. IMHO it'd be cool if a volunteer at least let
them know what was happening and discovered whether they might be able
to help with long term archival. (This contribution would not require
commit karma ;-)

Robert

Re: Subversion history

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/19/2011 10:45 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> For what it's worth, as many have noted, I'm sure, OOo uses for
>> distribution a host—a vast host—of volunteer mirrors. Many include
>> legacy releases already.
>
> And then we should just keep having this. As far as I know,
> http://archive.services.openoffice.org/
> dynamically points to at least three (non-Oracle) mirrors, one of which
> in Italy, and PLIO maintains its own private archive with legacy Italian
> versions that are not part of the international archive, e.g., OOo 1.x
> Italian.

Yes, it's forwarding download requests via roundrobin to 1 of 3 mirrors
that are distributing old release bits. It's GARR Network (Italy), GWDG
(Germany) and Technical University Braunschweig (Germany).

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.
Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> For what it's worth, as many have noted, I'm sure, OOo uses for
> distribution a host—a vast host—of volunteer mirrors. Many include
> legacy releases already.

And then we should just keep having this. As far as I know,
http://archive.services.openoffice.org/
dynamically points to at least three (non-Oracle) mirrors, one of which
in Italy, and PLIO maintains its own private archive with legacy Italian
versions that are not part of the international archive, e.g., OOo 1.x
Italian.

Regards,
  Andrea.

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
HI,

On 2011-06-18, at 18:08 , Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> +1

For what it's worth, as many have noted, I'm sure, OOo uses for distribution a host—a vast host—of volunteer mirrors. Many include legacy releases already. I suggest more generally we approach new problems with new solutions but keep in mind what's worked in the past in similar circumstances.

louis

RE: Subversion history

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Marcus Lange <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/17/2011 01:40 PM, schrieb Marcus Lange:

>>> But would ASF be able to distribute such binary releases (and the
>>> corresponding sources) that include non-Oracle LGPL bits?
>>
>> Probably not, but in more recent years, we've been talking about how
>> to distribute non-ALv2 from ASF hardware. Essentially along the lines
>> of, "this is not ASF software; we are providing it here as a
>> convenience." We just don't want to mislead people to think they are
>> Apache releases or Apache-licensed.
>>
>> Identifying the archival releases that need to be saved is important,
>> regardless. Maybe the TDF could distribute those, or maybe OSU/OSL or
>> one of our mirror providers. I've got to believe that a volunteer
>> provider would be willing to hold the archives.
>
> thanks for the hint with the mirrors. Let me try something.

I've asked the FTP master of the GWDG mirror server (one of the big and
famous one in Germany) if it would be possible to save all files that
are currently on their mirror server (current but also older releases,
total size = ~380 GB).

I'm speaking of *all* files in the subdirs, starting from here:
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/

He told me that he will create a separate hidden space to keep all of them.

So, one task less on the todo list. :-)

Marcus

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Marcus Lange <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Tor Lillqvist <tm...@iki.fi>.
>> If you want the older binary releases, then make a proposal and a list.
>
> OK, I'll compile the list of archived release files.

But would ASF be able to distribute such binary releases (and the
corresponding sources) that include non-Oracle LGPL bits?

(Assuming the Oracle-owned LGPL bits of OOo proper are OK, as they are
built from historic source revisions perhaps already covered by the
grant, or that the grant will be amended to cover all history of the
source code?)

(Not to mention the Windows installers that include a JRE...)

--tml

Re: Subversion history

Posted by "Pedro F. Giffuni" <gi...@tutopia.com>.
While here, on a slightly different topic:

Some old promotional demos of SUN's OpenOffice carried
a nice set of fonts. Perhaps Oracle may make those
available? And if so, I wonder about the license for
those: ASL 2.0 would be fine but font licenses is
something I doubt anyone, except SIL, has given any
thoughts on.

cheers,

Pedro.

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Marcus Lange <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Andrew (Oracle) is not making a list. We have to provide a list of
stuff that we would like. Oracle can only grant us permission for the
materials they own; they may be willing to do a bit of archeology to
determine that, but most of the burden is about us.

If you want the older binary releases, then make a proposal and a
list. "Asking" is not going to go anywhere because there really isn't
anybody available to answer you.

Proposals start with us, here in the community.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Subversion history

Posted by Marcus Lange <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

On 6/16/2011 12:39 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 07:18, Mathias Bauer<Ma...@gmx.net>  wrote:
>> I now have a list of files that IMHO can't be part of the software grant. A
>> list with all other files is worked on by Oracle.
> Umm. I don't think Oracle is working on any additional lists. We have
> to come up with the list of files that we want Oracle to grant us.
Yes and Yes.  I have been collecting a list of all of the content that
has been identified to this point.
I will continue to add other files/artifacts that are identified.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
On 14.06.2011 19:32, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 13:17, Mathias Bauer<Ma...@gmx.net>  wrote:
>> On 14.06.2011 19:04, Greg Stein wrote:
>>> Right now, I believe our biggest impediment to an import is the list
>>> of "which files?". We know there are gaps... we need to figure out
>>> which files are necessary to fill those gaps, then request them from
>>> Oracle.
>>
>> I'm working on the complete list of files that we miss. The list is based on
>> milestone m103 of the code line "DEV300". We can merge in newer milestones
>> as patches later. That would be easier than starting with a complete new
>> list, IMHO. But YMMV.
>>
>> Please give me some more time to iron out the last details, there are still
>> a few hundred files that need to be checked.
>
> Patiently waiting! :-)

I now have a list of files that IMHO can't be part of the software
grant. A list with all other files is worked on by Oracle.

First there are (L)GPL files; I already mentioned the stuff needed for
"configure" elsewhere, I'm sure we can solve that. Another part of OOo's
code is "libegg", but AFAIK we don't need that at all and we can safely
ignore it.

There are some more files that are not owned by Oraclem, but have a
clear license:

(1) module "agg"

License:

> //----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> // Anti-Grain Geometry - Version 2.3
> // Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Maxim Shemanarev (http://www.antigrain.com)
> //
> // Permission to copy, use, modify, sell and distribute this software
> // is granted provided this copyright notice appears in all copies.
> // This software is provided "as is" without express or implied
> // warranty, and with no claim as to its suitability for any purpose.
> //
> //----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> // Contact: mcseem@antigrain.com
> //          mcseemagg@yahoo.com
> //          http://www.antigrain.com
> //----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> //
> // Arc vertex generator
> //
> //----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) module "apple_remote"

License:

> /*****************************************************************************
>  * RemoteControlWrapper.h
>  * RemoteControlWrapper
>  *
>  * Created by Martin Kahr on 11.03.06 under a MIT-style license.
>  * Copyright (c) 2006 martinkahr.com. All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * Code modified and adapted to OpenOffice.org
>  * by Eric Bachard on 11.08.2008 under the same license
>  *
>  * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
>  * copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
>  * to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
>  * the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
>  * and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
>  * Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
>  *
>  * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
>  * in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
>  *
>  * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
>  * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
>  * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
>  * THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
>  * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
>  * OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
>  * THE SOFTWARE.
>  *
>  *****************************************************************************/

(3) module "psprint_config"

License:

> *% Adobe Systems PostScript(R) Printer Description File
> *% Copyright 1987-1995 Adobe Systems Incorporated.
> *% All Rights Reserved.
> *% Permission is granted for redistribution of this file as
> *% long as this copyright notice is intact and the contents
> *% of the file is not altered in any way from its original form.
> *% End of Copyright statement

(4) module "x11_extensions"

License:

> /*
>  * $XFree86: xc/include/extensions/randr.h,v 1.4 2001/11/24 07:24:58 keithp Exp $
>  *
>  * Copyright © 2000, Compaq Computer Corporation,
>  * Copyright © 2002, Hewlett Packard, Inc.
>  *
>  * Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its
>  * documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that
>  * the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that
>  * copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
>  * documentation, and that the name of Compaq or HP not be used in advertising
>  * or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without specific,
>  * written prior permission.  HP makes no representations about the
>  * suitability of this software for any purpose.  It is provided "as is"
>  * without express or implied warranty.
>  *
>  * HP DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL
>  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL HP
>  * BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
>  * WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION
>  * OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN
>  * CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
>  *
>  * Author:  Jim Gettys, HP Labs, Hewlett-Packard, Inc.
>  */

(5) sane/inc/sane.h

> /* sane - Scanner Access Now Easy.
>    Copyright (C) 1997 David Mosberger-Tang and Andreas Beck
>    This file is part of the SANE package.
>
>    This file is in the public domain.  You may use and modify it as
>    you see fit, as long as this copyright message is included and
>    that there is an indication as to what modifications have been
>    made (if any).
>
>    SANE is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
>    ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
>    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
>    This file declares SANE application interface.  See the SANE
>    standard for a detailed explanation of the interface.  */

(6) Fontmanager:
	vcl/unx/source/fontmanager/parseAFM.cxx
	vcl/unx/source/fontmanager/parseAFM.hxx

License:

> /*
>  * (C) 1988, 1989 by Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * This file may be freely copied and redistributed as long as:
>  *   1) This entire notice continues to be included in the file,
>  *   2) If the file has been modified in any way, a notice of such
>  *      modification is conspicuously indicated.
>  *
>  * PostScript, Display PostScript, and Adobe are registered trademarks of
>  * Adobe Systems Incorporated.
>  *
>  * ************************************************************************
>  * THE INFORMATION BELOW IS FURNISHED AS IS, IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT
>  * NOTICE, AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS A COMMITMENT BY ADOBE SYSTEMS
>  * INCORPORATED. ADOBE SYSTEMS INCORPORATED ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY OR
>  * LIABILITY FOR ANY ERRORS OR INACCURACIES, MAKES NO WARRANTY OF ANY
>  * KIND (EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY) WITH RESPECT TO THIS INFORMATION,
>  * AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
>  * FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSES AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS.
>  * ************************************************************************
>  */

(7) connectivity/qa/complex/connectivity/hsqldb/TestCacheSize.java

License:

> /* Copyright (c) 2001-2004, The HSQL Development Group
>  * All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
>  *
>  * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
>  * list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>  *
>  * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
>  * this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
>  * and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>  *
>  * Neither the name of the HSQL Development Group nor the names of its
>  * contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
>  * software without specific prior written permission.
>  *
>  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
>  * AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
>  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
>  * ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL HSQL DEVELOPMENT GROUP, HSQLDB.ORG,
>  * OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
>  * EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
>  * PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
>  * LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
>  * ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
>  * (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
>  * SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
>  */

(8) module icc:

License:

> [...]
>  * reserved.
>  *
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
>  * are met:
>  *
>  * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>  *
>  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
>  *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
>  *    distribution.
>  *
>  * 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution,
>  *    if any, must include the following acknowledgment:
>  *       "This product includes software developed by the
>  *        The International Color Consortium (www.color.org)"
>  *    Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself,
>  *    if and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.
>  *
>  * 4. The names "ICC" and "The International Color Consortium" must
>  *    not be used to imply that the ICC organization endorses or
>  *    promotes products derived from this software without prior
>  *    written permission. For written permission, please see
>  *    <http://www.color.org/>.
>  *
>  *
>  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
>  * WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
>  * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
>  * DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE INTERNATIONAL COLOR CONSORTIUM OR
>  * ITS CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
>  * SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
>  * LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
>  * USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
>  * ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
>  * OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT
>  * OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
>  * SUCH DAMAGE.
>  * ====================================================================
>  *
>  * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
>  * individuals on behalf of the The International Color Consortium.
>  *
>  *
>  * Membership in the ICC is encouraged when this software is used for
>  * commercial purposes.
>  *
>  *
>  * For more information on The International Color Consortium, please

(9) install-sh

License:

> # install - install a program, script, or datafile
> # This comes from X11R5 (mit/util/scripts/install.sh).
> #
> # Copyright 1991 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
> #
> # Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its
> # documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that
> # the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that
> # copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
> # documentation, and that the name of M.I.T. not be used in advertising or
> # publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without specific,
> # written prior permission.  M.I.T. makes no representations about the
> # suitability of this software for any purpose.  It is provided "as is"
> # without express or implied warranty.
> #
> # Calling this script install-sh is preferred over install.sh, to prevent
> # `make' implicit rules from creating a file called install from it
> # when there is no Makefile.
> #
> # This script is compatible with the BSD install script, but was written
> # from scratch.  It can only install one file at a time, a restriction
> # shared with many OS's install programs.

(10) MathMLDTD/math.dtd

License:

> <!-- Copyright 1997-1999  World Wide Web Consortium,    -->
> <!-- (Massachusetts Institute of Technology,            -->
> <!--  Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, -->
> <!--  Keio University). All Rights Reserved.            -->
> <!-- http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/                -->
>
> <!-- Modified DTD for MathML 1.01                       -->
> <!--                                                    -->
> <!-- Original DTD:                                      -->
> <!--    http://www.w3.org/1999/07/REC-MathML-19990707/mmlents.zip  -->
> <!--                                                    -->
We have to check the licenses of these files, for me they look as if we
could use them.

There are still a lot of files that I can't estimate. I will report
about them in another mail.

Regards,
Mathias

Re: Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 13:17, Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 14.06.2011 19:04, Greg Stein wrote:
>> Right now, I believe our biggest impediment to an import is the list
>> of "which files?". We know there are gaps... we need to figure out
>> which files are necessary to fill those gaps, then request them from
>> Oracle.
>
> I'm working on the complete list of files that we miss. The list is based on
> milestone m103 of the code line "DEV300". We can merge in newer milestones
> as patches later. That would be easier than starting with a complete new
> list, IMHO. But YMMV.
>
> Please give me some more time to iron out the last details, there are still
> a few hundred files that need to be checked.

Patiently waiting! :-)

> History is another story. It is possible to "filter" the current Mercurial
> repository and remove all traces of those files that we don't move over to
> the Apache repository. The result would be another Mercurial repository. I
> assume that a conversion from Mercurial to svn without losing the history is
> possible.

Right. I investigated Mercurial's "Convert" extension. It provides for
such a filter. I think that'd we use that feature and iterate until we
get a Mercurial repository with all the correct files, and all the
correct history.

I've seen a reference that the Convert extension has a --dest-type
option to *output* to Subversion. But the main docpage does not talk
about it. And I haven't cracked the code open to see which one is
correct :-)

But yes: I have no doubt that we can "easily" convert the trimmed
Mercurial repository into a Subversion dumpfile for Infrastructure to
load.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi Greg,

On 14.06.2011 19:04, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:34, Pedro Giffuni<gi...@tutopia.com>  wrote:
>> One doubt I have is whether the historic metadata from the previous OOo
>> Hg/bugzilla will also be imported. I would guess in the SVN repository
>> we want to start from scratch with the donated code, so the previous
>> history in Hg can remain where it is. The bugzilla database probably
>> has uncommitted code that is nevertheless property of OpenOffice.org.
>
> I believe that we want to bring over the history during the migration.
>
> 1) Oracle will shut down the Hg server one day. If we don't bring over
> history, then it gets lost.
>
> 2) We have clear rights to a list of files, which definitely means the
> current version. We can bring over previous versions under "fair use"
> rules since we never intend to *release* them. We will simply make
> them available on the web, much like Oracle is doing today.[1]
>
> 3) Having the history will make it a lot easier for our developers who
> need to investigate why something was done in a particular way.
>
> Right now, I believe our biggest impediment to an import is the list
> of "which files?". We know there are gaps... we need to figure out
> which files are necessary to fill those gaps, then request them from
> Oracle.

I'm working on the complete list of files that we miss. The list is
based on milestone m103 of the code line "DEV300". We can merge in newer
milestones as patches later. That would be easier than starting with a
complete new list, IMHO. But YMMV.

Please give me some more time to iron out the last details, there are
still a few hundred files that need to be checked.

History is another story. It is possible to "filter" the current
Mercurial repository and remove all traces of those files that we don't
move over to the Apache repository. The result would be another
Mercurial repository. I assume that a conversion from Mercurial to svn
without losing the history is possible.

But first we need the complete file list.

Regards,
Mathias