Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com> on 2007/07/25 14:49:28 UTC

wicket:interface, etc. in generated URLs

Hi folks,

Although some people don't really care what their URLs look like, lots
of people do.

If you use UrlCompressingWebCodingStrategy you can get the actual
parameter values for interface/behaviour/etc. URLs looking pretty small
and inoffensive.

But the name is still something large, like "wicket:interface". I'm
wondering if for 1.3 we could replace that with just:

wicket:interface        --> w:i
wicket:behaviourId      --> w:b
wicket:bookmarkablePage --> w:p
wicket:pageMapName      --> w:m

It'd make the URLs shorter and not really any less comprehensible (this
stuff only really means anything to people who understand the internals
anyway).

It'd make things very marginally quicker (less string matching).

In short, I can't really see any disadvantage to it, other than that it
will break any existing bookmarks to non-mounted pages. I'm pretty sure
that the upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 breaks these anyway.

It's a trivial fix (just update the constants in
WebRequestCodingStrategy and a bunch of expected unit test results).

What do people think?

Regards,

Al

--
Alastair Maw
Wicket-biased blog at http://herebebeasties.com

Re: wicket:interface, etc. in generated URLs

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 7/25/07, Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Although some people don't really care what their URLs look like, lots
> of people do.
>
> If you use UrlCompressingWebCodingStrategy you can get the actual
> parameter values for interface/behaviour/etc. URLs looking pretty small
> and inoffensive.
>
> But the name is still something large, like "wicket:interface". I'm
> wondering if for 1.3 we could replace that with just:
>
> wicket:interface        --> w:i
> wicket:behaviourId      --> w:b
> wicket:bookmarkablePage --> w:p
> wicket:pageMapName      --> w:m
>
> It'd make the URLs shorter and not really any less comprehensible (this
> stuff only really means anything to people who understand the internals
> anyway).
>
> It'd make things very marginally quicker (less string matching).
>
> In short, I can't really see any disadvantage to it, other than that it
> will break any existing bookmarks to non-mounted pages. I'm pretty sure
> that the upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 breaks these anyway.
>
> It's a trivial fix (just update the constants in
> WebRequestCodingStrategy and a bunch of expected unit test results).
>
> What do people think?

+1

Eelco

Re: wicket:interface, etc. in generated URLs

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
that would be even better
or make a Jira issue with the things discussed in this thread
then i will look at asap.
Currently to busy debugging those stupid browsers :(

johan

Posted by Serge! <ne...@mail.ru>.
Hi,

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
just waiting for you to check it in johan!

-igor

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
there where a lot of +1

Posted by Serge! <ne...@mail.ru>.
+1

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
+1

-igor

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@apache.org>.
On 7/25/07, Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i think i already proposed something like this long time ago
> But i think it was to avoid collisions in the url and more expressive
> urls?
>
> but this rename is fine by me
> except the wicket:bookmarkablePage that can be shorted like
> w:bookmarkablePage
> because the urls really says that it is bookmarkable
> (and all old urls must still work so wicket:bookmarkablePage must keep
> working)
>
> better would it in my eyes if developers could customize this them self.
> So have a settings class where they can be configured
> We (servoy) already had this for a large part but this we do by completely
> subclassing/copying WebRequestCodingStrategy
>
> so these should change:
>
>     /** Name of interface target query parameter */
>     public static final String NAME_SPACE = "wicket:";
>
>     /** Name of interface target query parameter */
>     public static final String INTERFACE_PARAMETER_NAME = NAME_SPACE +
> "interface";
>
>     /** AJAX query parameter name */
>     public static final String BEHAVIOR_ID_PARAMETER_NAME = NAME_SPACE +
> "behaviorId";
>
>     /** Parameter name used all over the place */
>     public static final String BOOKMARKABLE_PAGE_PARAMETER_NAME =
> NAME_SPACE
> + "bookmarkablePage";
>
>     /** Pagemap parameter constant */
>     public static final String PAGEMAP = NAME_SPACE + "pageMapName";
>

> into something like
>
>     public static final String NAME_SPACE = Application.get
> ().getSettings().getNameSpace();
>
> But ofcourse directly that can't be done so i guess we need to push them
> from our init phase

+1

Much nicer solution.

Frank

Re: wicket:interface, etc. in generated URLs

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
+0

You will need to fix a lot of unit tests I figure.

Martijn

On 7/25/07, Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Although some people don't really care what their URLs look like, lots
> of people do.
>
> If you use UrlCompressingWebCodingStrategy you can get the actual
> parameter values for interface/behaviour/etc. URLs looking pretty small
> and inoffensive.
>
> But the name is still something large, like "wicket:interface". I'm
> wondering if for 1.3 we could replace that with just:
>
> wicket:interface        --> w:i
> wicket:behaviourId      --> w:b
> wicket:bookmarkablePage --> w:p
> wicket:pageMapName      --> w:m
>
> It'd make the URLs shorter and not really any less comprehensible (this
> stuff only really means anything to people who understand the internals
> anyway).
>
> It'd make things very marginally quicker (less string matching).
>
> In short, I can't really see any disadvantage to it, other than that it
> will break any existing bookmarks to non-mounted pages. I'm pretty sure
> that the upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 breaks these anyway.
>
> It's a trivial fix (just update the constants in
> WebRequestCodingStrategy and a bunch of expected unit test results).
>
> What do people think?
>
> Regards,
>
> Al
>
> --
> Alastair Maw
> Wicket-biased blog at http://herebebeasties.com

--
Wicket joins the Apache Software Foundation as Apache Wicket
Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta2 is released