Posted to dev@distributedlog.apache.org by Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org> on 2017/01/26 06:36:16 UTC

[VOTE] Apache DistributedLog release 0.4.0-incubating

  Hi everyone,

    Please review and vote on the release candidate #2 for the Apache
DistributedLog version 0.4.0-incubating, as follows:
    [ ] +1, Approve the release
    [ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)

    The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
    * JIRA release notes [1],
    * the official Apache source release to be deployed to dist.apache.org
[2],
    * all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [3][4],
    * source code tag "v0.4.0-RC0" [4],
    * code tag "v0.4.0-incubating-RC1_2.11" (for scala 2.11) and
"v0.4.0-incubating-RC1_2.10" (for scala 2.10) [5][6],
    * website pull request listing the release [7] and publishing the API
reference manual.

    The Apache DistributedLog community has unanimously approved this
release [8].

    As customary, the vote will be open for at least 72 hours. It is
adopted by
    a majority approval with at least three PMC affirmative votes. If
approved,
    we will proceed with the release.

    Thanks!

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?p
rojectId=12320620&version=12337980
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/distributedlog/0.4.0-
incubating-RC2/
[3] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
orgapachedistributedlog-1003/
[4] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
orgapachedistributedlog-1004/
[5] https://github.com/apache/incubator-distributedlog/tree/
v0.4.0-incubating-RC1_2.11
[6] https://github.com/apache/incubator-distributedlog/tree/
v0.4.0-incubating-RC1_2.10
[7] https://github.com/apache/incubator-distributedlog/pull/109
[8]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-distributedlog-dev/201701.mbox/%3CCAO2yDyYwQgg%3DSRuBdxTPC%3DT3bkZO4O0EULwq9tUB_Uno01XW7A%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: [VOTE] Apache DistributedLog release 0.4.0-incubating

Posted by Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 11:37 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > I think they might come from apache bookkeeper. when we started building
>> > DL, we might copy some headers from bookkeeper. We will address this in
>> > next RC.
>>
>> Look like they may of also fixed this issue [1]. For why see the last bit
>> of Step 2 here [2]. I assume there’s no code from bookkeeper included in
>> the source release?
>>

> Correct. We will follow [2] to fix this one.
>

>> > Oh the service and benchmark are two modules in the maven project. What
>> is
>> > your suggestion for this? Shall we create a giant binary package inckude
>> > both modules?
>>
>> I would of expected the source when compiled produces those artefacts.
>>

> When the source is compiled with 'mvn package', there will be two binary
> packages produced (service & benchmark). So that's how the binary packages
> were produced. I am not sure if this can address your concern here.

FYI.

This is the step how we generated the packages (we use maven release
plugin) -
https://github.com/apache/incubator-distributedlog/pull/51/files#diff-51315afca7c712ad9ce48f7ebb5c042fR228

This is the step how we copy the generated packages to stage them -
https://github.com/apache/incubator-distributedlog/pull/51/files#diff-51315afca7c712ad9ce48f7ebb5c042fR246

Posted by Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org>.
Hello, Justin,

Thank you so much for you feedback.

On Jan 26, 2017 6:26 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

Hi,

I also be -1 binding on this due to missing DISCLAIMER, ASF header issues
and a possible binary release issue.

I checked:
- name includes incubating
- signatures good
- DISCLAIMER is missing
- License is OK
- Year needs updating in NOTICE.
- A large number of files seem to have have incorrect ASF headers with a
copyright line "Copyright 2007 The Apache Software Foundation”. Did this
come from somewhere else?

I think they might come from apache bookkeeper. when we started building
DL, we might copy some headers from bookkeeper. We will address this in
next RC.

- Can compile from source

If you are creating convenience binaries then the compiled code in them
must match the code from the source release. It’s not clear to me how the
benchmark and service binaries relate to the source release. [1]

Oh the service and benchmark are two modules in the maven project. What is
your suggestion for this? Shall we create a giant binary package inckude
both modules?

Thank you!

Sijie

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#compiled-packages

Re: [VOTE] Apache DistributedLog release 0.4.0-incubating

Posted by Sijie Guo <si...@twitter.com.INVALID>.
Gotcha. Cancelling the vote. Will address the concerns in new RC.

Thanks John!

- Sijie

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Its not clear if you intended this to be the IPMC vote or the dev vote.

-1 Since the release does not include the DISCLAIMER file and README does
not include the DISCLAIMER text (either would be fine per policy, but
generally we look for DISCLAIMER).

There were no binaries in the source.  NOTICE should be updated for 2017.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.