Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org> on 2019/07/08 17:04:07 UTC

Need to Invite Committee Members to meetings was Re: Recap from call w/ Outreachy's team

On 7/8/2019 12:51 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> "If it didn't happen on the list it didn't happen" does not mean nothing can happen in this way, only that decisions are not made without time for community feedback and engagement.
>
> No problem in this case. Thank you for keeping things moving.

Ross,

The committee not being notified it was happening and not extending the
invite to others on list is a no-no.

For similar complaints, see Sally's complaint on June 2nd for the
Hackathon meetings with too little notice for the bridge information on
planners@.  Luckily Rich had emailed about it previously so this was
just the logistics details and more announcements were made since.

We need to give Gris and others new to Apache correct guidance.   Using
synchronous comms especially meetings without everyone invited are
pitfalls for a lack of inclusion and definitely not in line with the
Apache Way.

Regards,

KAM

Re: Need to Invite Committee Members to meetings was Re: Recap from call w/ Outreachy's team

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
+1000

Having served in many roles, including setting up GSoC, President, EVP, VP, Director and, of course, committer, I don't need a lecture on what the Apache Way is or how to empower Gris and team to get stuff done within it.

More importantly I am here to ensure Gris and team don't succumb to the kind of random process enforcement that is now common for some people.

That is the kind of nonsense that says nobody can move without the implicit permission of everyone on this list and/or the board is a sure fire way to fail. Reversible steps are fine. If you want it in Apache Way terms then think of it as Commit Then Review vs Review Then Commit.

I'll be equally as forceful when things aren't done well.

Ross

---

Sent from my phone, likely while waking down the stars and having a conversation. Sorry about my carelessness, I blame the machines.

________________________________
Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Either way it is wrong to threaten my posting ability for relaying a valid
complaint.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
+1

---

Sent from my phone, likely while waking down the stars and having a conversation. Sorry about my carelessness, I blame the machines.

________________________________
> and say that planners, also not a traditional pmc,
> just had a complaint last month for this exact type of issue.  Made by
> Sally Khudairi.

Take it off list.  Gris is working within her designated role and
involving others.  This is not the case with the issue you are
describing.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Need to Invite Committee Members to meetings was Re: Recap from call w/ Outreachy's team

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 3:08 PM Kevin A. McGrail <km...@apache.org> wrote:

> I will be negative 1

Kevin: noted.  Gris: proceed.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
I will be negative 1 and say that planners, also not a traditional pmc,
just had a complaint last month for this exact type of issue.  Made by
Sally Khudairi.

Regards, KAM

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.
+1

On Mon 8. Jul 2019 at 21:05, Ross Gardler

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
+1

---

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
You have my full support, Gris.

Thanks for having the call and for bringing the info back to the list.
I'll digest this overnight and email if I have any questions.

-Joan

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 7/8/19 3:00 PM, Griselda Cuevas wrote:
> One more point I'd like to make is that, there is no need for the entire
> committee to be in every single discussion or project. There are so many
> initiatives, and we are short in hands. I'd love for us to be a team where
> we trust each other and we can delegate and lead.

Big +1 to that.

Anecdotally, the MAIN reason that ConCom ended up being disbanded was
the gridlock that resulted from several dozen people insisting on being
on every phone call, and to have a voice in every decision.

When you're going to have a real-time phone-call with a "vendor",
keeping the number of participants small is a great way to ensure they
don't run away screaming.

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
A reminder Kevin,