Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com> on 2001/04/23 08:37:12 UTC

James & MySQL

Hi,

I'm interested in installing Apache James; actually, I have downloaded it. I
have some questions though...
- What is the largest attachment file size that James can handle if the mail
spool is stored in MySQL?
- I'd like to have the POP user passwords stored in the database encrypted.
To implement that feature, can I just subclass the classes that handle
usernames & passwords, or should I alter the classes a bit? The ideal way is
subclassing, but I didn't see that the classes (pertaining users) are
configurable (via config. files) a la Turbine.

TIA,
Oki

Re: James & MySQL

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 09:13:07AM +0100, Danny Angus wrote:
> if you implement it using LONGTEXT or LONGBLOB as the  type for field
> message_body, then a whole rfc822 message, irrespective of how much is
> inline and how much is attached, can be approx 4Gig.
>
> nice eh? :-)

Well, I think it would be great if I could get around the following
exception:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Packet is larger than max_allowed_packet
from server configuration of 1047552 bytes

I don't know yet where the problem is; is it in MySQL JDBC driver (I use
MM's) or in the James' setup.

What I tried was to send emails with serveral attached files. It was
successful after the size of the attachment was about 500Kbytes. I started
with an email which had about 2.7Mbytes of attachments. The mail clients I
used were Mozilla 0.8 and Pine 3.96. I guess, if I used Outlook Express,
there would be no problem (with its auto-split feature).

It would be nicer, I believe, if Apache James is the one who does the
splitting (on the server); by storing each piece of the split email
attachment on several rows.

> using text instead of blob lets you perform text based operations in some
> way that blob doesn't, I've forgotten how off hand. I'd suggest longtext
> especially if you want to access the message store using any app other than
> James, but I see I'm actually using longblob, ho-hum ain't that just like
> life ;-)

I think blob would be nicer, so that the content of the mail wouldn't be
easily to read.

BTW, I think the current incarnation of Apache James is great; having the
mail spool on a database is really cool. And regarding my previous post on
encrypted password validation, I think it could be done easily (it has been
there lying around in JAMES.conf.xml %-), by creating a new class or even by
subclassing:
    <repository type="USER" model="SYNCHRONOUS, ASYNCHRONOUS"
        destination="town://"
        class="org.apache.james.userrepository.UsersTownRepository">
	<conn>file:///usr/local/james/var/maildatabase</conn>
    </repository>

But it wouldn't make the passwords transmission more secure, though (the
passwords are sent in clear text from the mail client to the server).
Except, of course, if you enabled the TLS POP3 support on James 1.2.1; then
there would be no problem.

Oki

--
         On the day that you were born the angels got together,
         And decided to create a dream come true,

RE: James & MySQL

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

danny