Posted to users@maven.apache.org by sc...@JAVACTIVITY.ORG on 2015/12/08 16:33:13 UTC

[maven-scm-plugin] Why does scm:update fail on a branch?

I am using the maven-scm-plugin with git.

I find that the following succeeds:

mvn -DscmVersion=abc -DscmVersionType=branch scm:bootstrap

whereas the following, seemingly identical except for the command fails:

mvn -X -DscmVersion=rpm -DscmVersionType=branch scm:update

[ERROR] Provider message:
[ERROR] The git-log command failed.
[ERROR] Command output:
[ERROR] fatal: ambiguous argument 'rpm': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions

This looks like a bug in the plugin, but I don't really know.  Why would the same specification fail for update but succeed for bootstrap?

Other commands, such as scm:diff, scm:status, smc:checkout also work.

Is this a bug and is there a workaround?

RE: [maven-scm-plugin] Why does scm:update fail on a branch?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Stephen:
branch update works *if* you specify scmVersionType=branch and valid branch name via scmVersion=branch-name

mvn -DscmVersionType=branch -DscmVersion=master -DconnectionUrl=git://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-scm.git/maven-scm-plugin generate-sources
pom.xml plugin:
?Martin

Posted by sc...@JAVACTIVITY.ORG.