Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com> on 2004/03/11 23:58:59 UTC

[RT] gump doing progress

Some random thoughts,

lately I have not been able to contribute much, my employer makes me
work too. ;-)

I have the impression that we are progressing.

For instance, I like very much that Niclas is trying to fix the avalon
builds. Also with jakarta-slide,
Unico Hommes is working to solve an issue with a property jdom.jar which
was badly defined or used in the
testsuite subproject (he has checked in some changes today which should
make the next run successful,
at least I hope so, I did not test it).

I think that once the excalibur-logger will build, we will reach a much
higher success percentage  - unless we see down the road
some other showstoppers.

Gump is really useful. Without gump, I am not sure whether the problems
with the changes of API of jdom and the consequences
for velocity and jakarta-slide would have been detected. And fixed.

I also read about the issues between Struts and velocity-tools, this
sound interesting too.

I have read the threads about "Moving gump forward".

I am sure a Web Application to edit the metadata of gump can be nice.
But I am not unhappy just editing xml files by hand and
checking them into CVS. If we have a Web Application, it will have to be
fast and confortable to bring a real progress
in comparison with the plain xml files. I also agree with others that
storing gumps metadata into a relational database is certainly awkward.
I wonder whether it is not best to stick to xml files, may be have the
Web App do cvs commits when changes are done ?
xml database(s) would be seducing for this type of things, but I think
gump should remain simple.

The drawback of developing a Web App will be that when we will want to
add new fields or change the schema in some ways,
we will have to change gumpy and the Web App.

I did not try the python UI which already exists for editing the
metadata, maybe we should consider maintaining and extending it
rather than going to the Web App solution ? Fat graphical clients have
advantages over Web interfaces, they can be more appealing
present nice widgets which are difficult to mimick in a servlet or jsp.

Last thought, concerning the docu,
from project/ws-juddi.xml
<property name="ant.home" project="ant" reference="home" />
I did not see in the documentation how this tag is specified.

Cheers,

Antoine

Re: [RT] gump doing progress

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Last thought, concerning the docu,
> from project/ws-juddi.xml
> <property name="ant.home" project="ant" reference="home" />
> I did not see in the documentation how this tag is specified.

Do you mean this?

http://gump.apache.org/metadata/ant.html#property

regards

Adam

Re: [RT] gump doing progress

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:
> I am sure a Web Application to edit the metadata of gump can be nice.
> But I am not unhappy just editing xml files by hand and
> checking them into CVS. If we have a Web Application, it will have to be
> fast and confortable to bring a real progress
> in comparison with the plain xml files.

It's not much known, but there is already a GUI Gump descriptor editor:

   http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/gump/editor/

             - verba volant, scripta manent -