Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Anthony Browne <aa...@widernet.org> on 2005/07/19 23:11:58 UTC

[users@httpd] Proxying basic authentication

Can anyone tell me how to proxy authentication requests? The problem I'm
having is that I serve a LAN from a disk drive and forward (proxy) any
requests for content on remote servers. I cache the content that returns.
The problem is that some users request content from sites that require basic
authentication (not https). Currently if such a site is contacted, a
username/password dialog pops up but when the info is entered and OK is hit,
the dialog just pops up again and the request is not forwarded. This happens
three times and then it delivers an error (not authorized). Can anyone give
me some hints on how to get Apache to handle this basic authentication?
Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] Proxying basic authentication

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 7/19/05, Anthony Browne <aa...@widernet.org> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to proxy authentication requests? The problem I'm
> having is that I serve a LAN from a disk drive and forward (proxy) any
> requests for content on remote servers. I cache the content that returns.
> The problem is that some users request content from sites that require basic
> authentication (not https). Currently if such a site is contacted, a
> username/password dialog pops up but when the info is entered and OK is hit,
> the dialog just pops up again and the request is not forwarded. This happens
> three times and then it delivers an error (not authorized). Can anyone give
> me some hints on how to get Apache to handle this basic authentication?

In general, apache httpd configured in forward-proxy mode
(ProxyRequests On) handles basic auth forwarding just fine, as far as
I know.  So you'll need to give more details about how you have things
configured (and what version you are using) if you want more help.

Joshua.