Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jim Savoy <sa...@uleth.ca> on 2005/08/05 19:32:00 UTC

Net::DNS::Resolver errors

Hi all,

   I have just done a fresh install of SA 3.0.4 on a Linux Enterprise
release 4 box. All is well except for the pesky Net::DNS::Resolver
errors that everyone else seems to have fixed (read through a year's
worth of archived messages) without a problem. I cannot however,
resolve the problem using the recommended fixes.

My local.cf file has these lines:

dns_available test: 142.66.3.100
#dns_available yes

My /etc/resolv.conf file contains:

nameserver 142.66.3.100

This nameserver resolves all of our own stuff properly, although
it gives a non-authoritative response to something like hotmail.com
(not sure if that matters).

If I do a "spamassassin --lint" using the above settings in local.cf
it comes up clean. If I comment "in" the "dns_available yes" line I
get:

  Failed to run DNS_FROM_AHBL_RHSBL RBL SpamAssassin test, skipping:
  (Can't call method "bgsend" on an undefined value at
  /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 112.

However, regardless of which line I comment out/in, a "--lint -D"
always yields the same results:

 plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL from @INC
 failed to load Net::DNS::Resolver: Can't locate object method "new"
 via package
 "Net::DNS::Resolver" at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Mail/
  SpamAssassin/Plugin/URIDNSBL.pm line 116.

and later:

    debug: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? no

I have the latest Net::DNS (v0.53).

Any pointers would be helpful. Thanks!

Re: Net::DNS::Resolver errors

Posted by Jim Savoy <sa...@uleth.ca>.
To reply to my own message:

 One of my more Perl-savvy co-workers typed:

 # perl -e "use Net::DNS::Resolver"

and found that it was missing the module called "Net::IP" (I don't
recall that error when installing Net::DNS::Resolver::Base" (I always
ask CPAN to add dependant modules to the queue).

No lint errors now. Thanks anyway.