Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by iSquareOne LLC <is...@yahoo.com> on 2006/05/19 15:05:07 UTC

How to improve JSF performance?

Hi, all,
  This is a bit tricky. We have two applications - one is built on pure  JSP and the other one is built on JSF. We found the JSF application  performance is much worse than the pure JSP application. We did not  expect that much difference. JSF uses JSP page after all. So, what  could have caused the slow down? Are there ways to improve JSF  performance? We build the application on My Faces 1.1 and JBoss 4.0.2

  Any thoughts are very welcome! Thanks in advance!

  - Shawn

---------------------------------

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Aleksei Valikov <va...@gmx.net>.
Hi.

> My environment: MyFaces 1.1.3 + Tomahawk 1.1.2 + Facelet 1.0.4 +
> javax.faces.STATE_SAVING_METHOD =client
>
> I'm testing StreamingAddResource as told in Wiki to get some performance
> improvements.
>
> Everything worked ok after modifying jsp files and web.xml
> configuration. Except that time to time I saw "SEVERE: Unparsable
> lastModified : @lastModified@ " in tomcat log files (same as
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMAHAWK-15).
>
> Since configuration I run multiple load test for complex page (menus,
> tree2, tabs, hibernate db requests etc), but I couldn't measure any
> changes in performance compared to earlier configuration without
> StreamingAddResources.
>
> Could it be so that due to "SEVERE: Unparsable lastModified :
> @lastModified@ " no caching is happening and so no performance
> increasing either?
> Or could it be something else in my test environment - like the fact
> that tested page is quite huge and average response time is around two
> seconds?

Yes, @lastModified@ prevents resources from caching. I usually set something like:

lastModified=2006-01-01 00:00:00 +0000

manually.

Bye.
/lexi

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Mikhail Grushinskiy <mg...@gmail.com>.
StreamingAddResource doesn't let me implement error page redirection. It
flushes response buffer and if error happens after that
you can't forward to the error page. It seems the obly workable solution for
serious application is server side state with no serialization.

Posted by Aleksei Valikov <va...@gmx.net>.
Hi.

Posted by Gerald Müllan <bi...@gmail.com>.
On 5/22/06, Vesa Lindfors <ve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> Aleksei, how (and where) can the "lastModified" be set manually? Directly
> somewhere in the jar?
>
> I have tested earlier the server side and I know it is really much more
> faster, and no the client side state saving is not requirement - anyway I
> like idea of client side state saving, and will use it when possible...
>
> Current released 1.1.3 core has bad npe problem
> (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-1296)  and
> the using of the nightly builds is no option for real project -> Only client
> side state saving could be used or live in hope that core 1.1.4 will be
> published before our deadline...

1.1.4 release seems pretty stable to me. Especially the MYFACES-1296
issue is fixed.
I had the same problems before, now after upgrading to this release
the bug is solved.

So, you may try it out to switch to 1.1.4.

cheers,

Gerald

--
Gerald Müllan
Schelleingasse 2/11

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Vesa Lindfors <ve...@gmail.com>.
Thanks,

Posted by Gerald Müllan <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Gerald Müllan
Schelleingasse 2/11

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Vesa Lindfors <ve...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by iSquareOne LLC <is...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you everyone!

Gerald Müllan <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:  Sorry, but I think you have to upgrade to the newest release in order
to get StreamingAddResource running.

cheers,

Gerald

On 5/19/06, Yasushi Okubo  wrote:

>  David G. Friedman wrote:
>  Tomahawk is a inside the optional MyFaces Tomahawk
> component jar. See:
>
> http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/
>
> Specifically, the last 3 notes on that page.
>
> Regards,
> David
>

>  Ok, I understarnd that part.
>
>  When I looked my myfaces1.1.1 installation directory, it looks like the
> following.
>  [root@corn myfaces-1.1.1]# ls
>  javadoc  LICENSE.txt  myfaces-all.jar  myfaces-api.jar  myfaces-impl.jar
> NOTICE.txt  sandbox.jar  tlddoc  tomahawk.jar
>
>  Then, I opened the documentaion uder tlddoc, I do not see any t:document
> entry in tomahawk extension.
>  Then, when I tried to use this t:document tag, it does not recognize this
> tag.  I only see this tag for tomahawk 1.1.3 core when I googled, but not
> sure if truely so.
>
>  If I can use this tag for myfaces1.1.1, that will be great. But I cannot
> find a way to do so now.  If you can advise me how I can use it without
> upgrading to 1.1.3,  that will be great.
>
>  thanks,
>  yasushi

Gerald Müllan
Schelleingasse 2/11
1040 Vienna, Austria
0043 699 11772506
Bierbrauen@gmail.com

---------------------------------

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Gerald Müllan <bi...@gmail.com>.

On 5/19/06, Yasushi Okubo <ya...@cabm.rutgers.edu> wrote:

>  David G. Friedman wrote:
>  Tomahawk is a inside the optional MyFaces Tomahawk
> component jar. See:
>
> http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/
>
> Specifically, the last 3 notes on that page.
>
> Regards,
> David
>

>  Ok, I understarnd that part.
>
>  When I looked my myfaces1.1.1 installation directory, it looks like the
> following.
>  [root@corn myfaces-1.1.1]# ls
>  javadoc  LICENSE.txt  myfaces-all.jar  myfaces-api.jar  myfaces-impl.jar
> NOTICE.txt  sandbox.jar  tlddoc  tomahawk.jar
>
>  Then, I opened the documentaion uder tlddoc, I do not see any t:document
> entry in tomahawk extension.
>  Then, when I tried to use this t:document tag, it does not recognize this
> tag.  I only see this tag for tomahawk 1.1.3 core when I googled, but not
> sure if truely so.
>
>  If I can use this tag for myfaces1.1.1, that will be great. But I cannot
> find a way to do so now.  If you can advise me how I can use it without
> upgrading to 1.1.3,  that will be great.
>
>  thanks,
>  yasushi

Gerald Müllan
Schelleingasse 2/11
1040 Vienna, Austria
0043 699 11772506
Bierbrauen@gmail.com

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Yasushi Okubo <ya...@cabm.rutgers.edu>.

Posted by Yasushi Okubo <ya...@cabm.rutgers.edu>.
Hi, Gerald

Posted by Gerald Müllan <bi...@gmail.com>.
Performance measurements have shown that plain server side state
saving (without serialization and without compressing state) comes
with the best values.

Also usage of StreamingAddResource brings about 20% performance improvements.

Apart from that, using JSP as page description slows down. Facelets
would be the better choice concerning performance.

cheers,

Gerald

On 5/19/06, Murat Hazer <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> did you see this on the wiki
> http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Performance
>
> regards...
>

> On 5/19/06, iSquareOne LLC <is...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, all,
> > This is a bit tricky. We have two applications - one is built on pure JSP
> and the other one is built on JSF. We found the JSF application performance
> is much worse than the pure JSP application. We did not expect that much
> difference. JSF uses JSP page after all. So, what could have caused the slow
> down? Are there ways to improve JSF performance? We build the application on
> My Faces 1.1 and JBoss 4.0.2
> >
> > Any thoughts are very welcome! Thanks in advance!
> >
> > - Shawn
> >

> > ________________________________
> How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.
> >

> --
> Murat HAZER
> Elektrik-Elektronik Mühendisi - Electrical-Electronics Engineer
> Tel - Phone: +90 222 335 05 80 - 1395
> Cep Tel - Mobile Phone: +90 532 472 00 63
> Blog URL: http://www.projedunyasi.org
> Yahoo Group:

Gerald Müllan
Schelleingasse 2/11
1040 Vienna, Austria
0043 699 11772506
Bierbrauen@gmail.com

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Mike Duffy <md...@yahoo.com>.
Wow!

I just applied these changes to the test server running on my workstation.

Performance is significantly better.

Thx!

Mike

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman8/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com>

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Murat Hazer <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> Unfortunately client side state is the only way to get multiple
> component trees to not conflict (IFRAME, popup windows, user has
> multiple windows open, etc).
Is this still the case?
MyFaces holds multiple versions per view - so this should be no longer a
problem.
For sure, only a number of views will be stored, so if the user press
successively the "back button" you will be lost again.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately client side state is the only way to get multiple
component trees to not conflict (IFRAME, popup windows, user has
multiple windows open, etc). I am using server state and as a result,
I cannot use some of these techniques (like the jenia4faces dialog).

If that was fixed (apparently it works in the JSF RI), I wouldn't see
a very good use for the client side state.

-Andrew

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 5/22/06, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:
> Ok, I understand, in the past I also used client-side state saving, but
> things happening lately showed me that in the end I cant stick with it.
> Transparent persistence (hibernate) - "application transaction" - to
> tell only the headlines ;-) require to NOT serialize/deserialze your
> state (the upcoming conversationTag will help here), thus you can switch
> to server-side state saving as e.g you cant restore the state if it
> timed out so client-side ss wont help much.

Yes, it's a tradeoff issue.   For intranet applications, I find it's
better to use client-side state saving.   If I was writing an internet
app, I'd probably go back to server-side state saving.

Also, I'm using Cayenne instead of Hibernate, and with Cayenne I can
store my persistence objects as part of the client-side state when
necessary.   Most of the time, I keep my persisted/database objects in
a committed state between requests.  I do keep a cached datacontext
(hibernate session) in the container session map, but if it's not
found, it'll just be recreated.   Persisted objects which are in a
non-committed state stay in the request (or page via saveState) scope.

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> I only use client-side state saving in my applications.
>
> client-side state saving eliminates the back button problem, and it
> can survive the death of the application server transparently.
> There's also no issues with session timeouts.
Ok, I understand, in the past I also used client-side state saving, but
things happening lately showed me that in the end I cant stick with it.
Transparent persistence (hibernate) - "application transaction" - to
tell only the headlines ;-) require to NOT serialize/deserialze your
state (the upcoming conversationTag will help here), thus you can switch
to server-side state saving as e.g you cant restore the state if it
timed out so client-side ss wont help much.

But for sure, I am only one and using client-side state saving is more
unproblematic.

BTW: to workaround the session timeout problem we have a very small
iframe on our page which will refresh itself every say 5 minutes. Thus
the session wont die as long as the browser is open :-)

Ciao,
Mario

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 5/22/06, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:
> >> Well, we use JSP to describe the JSF view too - we slowly convert our
> >> application from JSP to JSF (so we have both JSP embedded in JSF and
> >> pure JSF), and I cant say that the performance it that worse.
> >>
> > It can be that worse, actually, client side state saving is a huge
> > burden, but it does not have to be, the correct state saving strategy
> > (server side) can give a huge push.
> >
> Oh, well, for sure, and I dont know why one would like to use client
> side state saving in real live.

I only use client-side state saving in my applications.

client-side state saving eliminates the back button problem, and it
can survive the death of the application server transparently.
There's also no issues with session timeouts.

Functionality trumps performance in my applications.   At some point
in the future, new hardware will eliminate the performance issues, but
buying new hardware will never make my applications more functional.

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> Being slow is better than running out of memory.
Is memory really a factor here? The view isnt that huge, is it?
So even if the view is 5k big and you store the last 20 per user and
expect 1000 concurrent users you'll end with 100Mb view data on the
server - you will have many other problems if you have to server 1000
users, no ;-) ?

How many main-memory do a typical server have? 2GB, 4GB, ....

Ciao,
Mario

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Jonathan Harley <jo...@parkplatz.net>.
Mario Ivankovits wrote:

>>It can be that worse, actually, client side state saving is a huge
>>burden, but it does not have to be, the correct state saving strategy
>>(server side) can give a huge push.
>>
> Oh, well, for sure, and I dont know why one would like to use client
> side state saving in real live.

Because it should scale better for very large numbers of
concurrent users?

Being slow is better than running out of memory.

J.
           Dr Jonathan Harley   .
                                .   Email: jon@parkplatz.net
            Zac Parkplatz Ltd   .   Office Telephone: 024 7633 1375
            www.parkplatz.net   .   Mobile: 079 4116 0423

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Question for how to setup tomcat realm with jsf/tiles

Posted by Yasushi Okubo <ya...@cabm.rutgers.edu>.
Hi, experts

I am trying to configure a very basic memoryRealm on tomcat with
myfaces/tiles.

I have setup security-constrains in web.xml as follows.
In face-config.xml, I setup a navigation rule, so that a user will be
taken to /maintenance/index.html by clicking the commandLink.
But tomcat realm is not recognizing url-pattern [/maintenance/*] defined
in web.xml at all.

Could someone advise me how to work with tomcat realm + jsf ?

thanks,
yasushi

=== web.xml ===
<security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>
        Maintenance Tools
      </web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>/maintenance/*</url-pattern>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
      <role-name>memeber</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
  </security-constraint>
  <!-- Define the Login Configuration for this Application -->
  <login-config>
    <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
    <realm-name>Members-only Area</realm-name>
  </login-config>

    <!-- Security roles referenced by this web application -->
  <security-role>
    <description>
      The role that is required to log in to the Admin Application
    </description>
    <role-name>member</role-name>
  </security-role>

== face-config.xml ===
<navigation-case>
         <from-outcome>nav_adminPage</from-outcome>
         <to-view-id>/maintenance/index.html</to-view-id>
 </navigation-case>

Re: How to improve JSF performance?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> We have the technical requirement to stay with JSPs. :(
Well, we use JSP to describe the JSF view too - we slowly convert our
application from JSP to JSF (so we have both JSP embedded in JSF and
pure JSF), and I cant say that the performance it that worse.

> But there must be a way to put JSF bean values into the HTML-code of a
JSP, or?
What do you mean with this sentence?
Have you considered using a profiler to see where you loose performance?

Ciao,
Mario