Posted to dev@juddi.apache.org by "Viens, Steve" <St...@FMR.COM> on 2004/02/27 21:23:53 UTC

Proposal: Refactor the jUDDI CVS module

I'd like to propose the idea of refactoring the jUDDI CVS module.

I'd like to move most of the current artifacts within CVS from the
"ws-juddi" directory into a subdirectory of ws-juddi named simply "java"
(similar to the way other projects are organized .. Axis for instance).  And
create some of the directories that are commonly found in other Apache
projects (Again, Axis for instance, at least a few of the others do this as
well).  This would give us a little space to keep things that are related to
the project but do not yet belong or fit-into the jUDDI source tree very
nicely.

In the end I'd like to suggest that the structure look something like this:

   ws-juddi/addons
   ws-juddi/contrib
   ws-juddi/java (contains all existing artifacts except the 'site'
directory)
   ws-juddi/proposals
   ws-juddi/site
   ws-juddi/LICENSE
   ws-juddi/README

*** addons ***
The ws-juddi/addons would contain jUDDI related sub-projects like an Eclipse
plug-in or perhaps a jUDDI based JAXR implementation.

*** contrib ***
All contributions (keep them out of the source tree until they've been
accepted.  Kind of a mini-incubator area)

*** java ***
The ws-juddi/java would contain all of the existing artifacts *except* the
'site' directory.

*** proposals ***
Any project-related proposals (architecture or project management - hey,
this is one!).

*** site ***
The jUDDI web site source (http://ws.apache.org/juddi
<http://ws.apache.org/juddi> ).

*** LICENSE & README ***
I took this idea from the Axis project. LICENSE would contain the current
Apache license jUDDI is being released under (2.0) and README could contain
any information (perhaps the information you're reading right now).

Tell me what you think?  Should we put this up for a vote too?  I know we've
got a few things to vote on at this point ... I'll put them up all at the
same time (different e-mails of course).

Steve

Steve Viens
Principal Consultant / Software Engineer
Fidelity Center for Applied Technology
Emerging Technology
stephen.viens@fmr.com
 <ma...@fmr.com617.392.0496> 617.392.0496 (phone)