Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at> on 2005/07/13 15:38:28 UTC

Re: Vedr.: Pls give suggestions in tomcat tunning in production environment

I agree, I have an inhouse portal which is accessed by a few hundred
people constantly because it is their main entry desktop, to the whole
intranet. It is fast, with the occasional GC hickkups.
The most likely thing is a performance issue either in the app or db layer.
The most likely possibility to resolve that issue is to increase ram,
check the access algorithms which go down into the db layer, check the
db layer for performance problems and add caching if needed (good db
layers should handle that themselves)

The thing is, if you have 500 people accessing a site, you do not get
too many hits at the same time, it serving the data should be a no issue
for tomcat, it can handle bigger loads, and most likely the main problem
is application specific and even more likely database specific.
I do not thin that extensive clustering would help in this case.

Werner