Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Kyle Lomeli <ky...@deitel.net> on 2002/05/16 16:20:38 UTC

Web service life cycle...

Where can I find information concerning the lifecycle of a service deployed
on Axis?

Does Axis use only one instance of each Web service, or does it create
multiple instances of a Web service to handle multiple requests?

Any synchronization issues of which I must be aware? Thank you in advance.

 Kyle LomelĂ­
 Software Developer
 Deitel & Associates, Inc.
 www.deitel.com

 Register now for the DEITEL BUZZ e-mail newsletter at
 http://www.deitel.net/newsletter/subscribe.html

Re: Web service life cycle...

Posted by Andrew Vardeman <an...@iastate.edu>.
Kyle,

see the thread "threads, etc. in application scoped service" from Tuesday,
May 7 -- essentially, if you deploy your webservice without a "scope"
parameter in the .wsdd file, it's request-scoped and one instance is made
for each request.  If you deploy it with session scope, one object is made
for each session (sessions are tracked via HTTP cookies or SOAP header
elements, depending on your configuration).  If you deploy it with
application scope, there is only one instance for all requests.  Each
request gets its own thread, so you could have multiple threads
simultaneously calling methods on the same session- or application-scoped
service.  So if your service has member fields that are modified by the
methods you expose, you have possible threading problems and need to worry
about synchronization.

Andrew