Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by peter lin <pe...@labs.gte.com> on 2002/08/05 16:34:09 UTC

Re: What is the rationale: (was RE: is there a better way to do this without JSP Script var)

Having worked in a variety of environments, JSTL helps reduce the
learning curve for designers who don't program or HTML coders who don't
want to learn an OO language.  By far using scriptlet is faster for an
experienced programmer, but for large projects the chances of everyone
being experienced in all necessary skills is rare.

most hardcore graphic designers that I know don't want to deal with
programming. the most they want to do is some HTML and that's it. Some
friends are hardcore on flash and don't have a problem with programming,
but those are rare. obviously what ever the choice is there's a learning
curve. trying to explain the concept of scoping to someone who hates to
program isn't always easy. Atleast from my experience it's easier to
give them tags, which looks familiar to them and doesn't appear as
daunting.

peter