Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org> on 2003/01/07 23:36:28 UTC

Sources with strange line endings

I'm browsing throu the code doing Eclipses 'Organize Imports' all over
I've realized there are a bunch of java file with strange line endings
(always a blank line every other line).

Torsten (Curdt): As it seems that they might be
committed by you would you mind fixing them?

TIA

Giacomo

Re: Sources with strange line endings

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>> Aehm... Ups?! Although I am currently working under windows everthing
>>> *should* be still unix format.
>>

>> That _is_ the problem : CVS clients assume that line endings are those
>> of the current platform and translate them to a platform-neutral line
>> ending for sending to the CVS server.
>>
>> This means you *must* have windows line endings on windows (CR-LF) and
>> unix line endings on unix (LF). Otherwise, this creates those double
>> blank lines problems.
>

> Hm... haven't had that problem before. Always said "check out unix
> style" and it worked...

That's probably the problem. You are supposed to check out windows style
on windows and unix style on unix. Then work on them, then commit. CVS
will take care of the rest.

If you try to outsmart CVS and then your editor messes up with line
endings (sometimes it happens if you use more than one editor, or if you
just installed a new version and forgot to configure it) CVS gets those
nasty double returns.

> Anyway a big mess - I'll go and fix it... *sigh*

Thank you.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: Sources with strange line endings

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
>> I'm browsing throu the code doing Eclipses 'Organize Imports' all over
>> I've realized there are a bunch of java file with strange line endings
>> (always a blank line every other line).
>>

>> Torsten (Curdt): As it seems that they might be
>> committed by you would you mind fixing them?
>

> Aehm... Ups?! Although I am currently working under windows everthing
> *should* be still unix format.

That _is_ the problem : CVS clients assume that line endings are those
of the current platform and translate them to a platform-neutral line
ending for sending to the CVS server.

This means you *must* have windows line endings on windows (CR-LF) and
unix line endings on unix (LF). Otherwise, this creates those double
blank lines problems.

Sylvain

Re: Sources with strange line endings

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> > I'm browsing throu the code doing Eclipses 'Organize Imports' all over
> > I've realized there are a bunch of java file with strange line endings
> > (always a blank line every other line).
> >

> > Torsten (Curdt): As it seems that they might be
> > committed by you would you mind fixing them?
>
> Aehm... Ups?! Although I am currently working under windows everthing
> *should* be still unix format. Maybe some are not? Could please point
> me to at least one file?

Sure. I've grep-ed your name in the @author tag and head-ed them to see
which one are maybe wrong (see attached list).

> Sure I'll fix it... Sorry, I wasn't aware of anything like that...

No problem. It once happened to my, too :).

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.