Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/07/14 17:19:52 UTC

Linked Data track (Was Re: ApacheCon EU: What I need help with)

Hey, Linked Data folks, I need some last minute help.

http://tm3.org/aceu2014tracks - see Linked Data tab

There are 9 talks marked Accept, 4 talks marked Average.

I can run 12 talks, or I can run 6 talks, but I need your help selecting
which ones. I had some questions out to Sergio on Friday, but haven't
heard back, and any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Also, there was a mention of a Linked Data social even, to which I asked:

I was also wondering about your listed Social Event. Do you have a
sponsor that would cover drinks/food at such an event? Were you thinking
an informal "meet at a pub" kind of event, or a sponsored party? Is this
something that would be open to all attendees, or would it be a more
private thing? What did you have in mind?

Thanks.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Linked Data track (Was Re: ApacheCon EU: What I need help with)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
I'll take a look today.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
HI Rich,

Sorry for late question but I assume that the one colored red meaning
it is being rejected for this year?

- Henry

Re: sponsorship (was: Re: Linked Data track)

Posted by Angela Brown <an...@linuxfoundation.org>.
Hi Sergio,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 7:16 AM, Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> On 14/07/14 17:19, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
>> Also, there was a mention of a Linked Data social even, to which I asked:
>>
>> I was also wondering about your listed Social Event. Do you have a
>> sponsor that would cover drinks/food at such an event? Were you thinking
>> an informal "meet at a pub" kind of event, or a sponsored party? Is this
>> something that would be open to all attendees, or would it be a more
>> private thing? What did you have in mind?
>>

> I could try to get some budget to sponsor... Can you provide me the
> sponsorship fees? Both thinking on become a regular sponsor and/or sponsor
> a social event. And then I see what I can do.

The sponsorship opportunities can be found here:
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe/sponsor

Please let Jay or I know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Angela

--
Angela Brown
Director of Events

Check out the Linux Foundation Event Experience -
http://youtu.be/-WUeelICQ2U

sponsorship (was: Re: Linked Data track)

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi Rich,

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 15 July 2014 10:30, Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org> wrote:

> Comments inline:
>
> On 15/07/2014 07:32, "Sergio Fernández" <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >Hi Rich,
> >
> >On 14/07/14 17:19, Rich Bowen wrote:
> >> Hey, Linked Data folks, I need some last minute help.
> >>
> >> http://tm3.org/aceu2014tracks - see Linked Data tab
> >>
> >> There are 9 talks marked Accept, 4 talks marked Average.
> >
> >Personally I'm fine with the result of the evaluation, accepting those
> >9. Maybe putting in the proposal "Enterprise Integration Patterns in
> >Apache Stanbol", because I personally know there is much more stuff than
> >what the proposal describes. Besides we already talked with one of the
> >guys with two talks (one accepted, one rejected) to maybe merge both
> >proposals into one talk.
> >
> >So that would mean 10 talks, booking 2 slots for the panel discussions,
> >if you still think is a good idea (read bellow).
> >
> >What the decisions has to be taken? Because I think Andy is on vacations
> >for some days.
> >
> >> I can run 12 talks, or I can run 6 talks, but I need your help selecting
> >> which ones. I had some questions out to Sergio on Friday, but haven't
> >> heard back, and any help here would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Sorry, I missed that email.
> >
> >Well, without knowing the general layout, we sketched a full day track
> >http://s.apache.org/4P5 with 9 slots (mixing short and long ones), plus
> >a final discussion panel.
>
> A track is 6 talks within a day, please keep this format otherwise it will
not fit with breaks, people changing session etc.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 15/07/14 10:30, Rob Vesse wrote:
> On 15/07/2014 07:32, "Sergio Fernández" <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Well, without knowing the general layout, we sketched a full day track
>> http://s.apache.org/4P5 with 9 slots (mixing short and long ones), plus
>> a final discussion panel.
>
> This looks reasonable assuming some talks are happy to work within the
> shortened slots.

You are completely right.

We did that initial sketch just to see how the day could look like, but
we should await until having a common schedule.

> Therefore I would suggest the following possible alterations (numbers
> refer to rows in the spreadsheet as of now):
>
> - Combine Talks 6 & 8 (both which are covering different aspects of the
> same project)

+1

Andy and myself also discussed such option, and Thomas would be fine.
Initially mine was more LDP-centered, but I can take care of both in a
merged one.

> - Combine Talks 2 & 3 (since talk 3 describes a project that currently is
> only used in the project described in talk 2)

Andy already suggested such option, so should be fine too.

> This would give the following talks:
>
> - Lizard - Clustering a RDF Store + Engineering RDF data formats for
> system tasks
> - Quadrupling your Elephants - RDF and the Hadoop Ecosystem
> - Open Annotation support for Apache Stanbol
> - Managed Linked Media with Apache Marmotta + Apache Marmotta, an Open
> Platform for Linked Data
> - Multi Language Content Discovery Through Entity Driven Search
> - Towards a Commons RDF library (Panel Discussion)
>
> That gives you just 6 sessions allowing for scheduling a standard 6
> session track over a single day

It looks like a very interesting schedule :-)

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 15/07/14 09:30, Rob Vesse wrote:
> [...]
> - Combine Talks 2 & 3 (since talk 3 describes a project that currently is
> only used in the project described in talk 2)
>
> This would give the following talks:
>
> - Lizard - Clustering a RDF Store + Engineering RDF data formats for
> system tasks
> - Quadrupling your Elephants - RDF and the Hadoop Ecosystem
> - Open Annotation support for Apache Stanbol
> - Managed Linked Media with Apache Marmotta + Apache Marmotta, an Open
> Platform for Linked Data
> - Multi Language Content Discovery Through Entity Driven Search
> - Towards a Commons RDF library (Panel Discussion)
>
> That gives you just 6 sessions allowing for scheduling a standard 6
> session track over a single day
>
> Sergio - Would you and Thomas be willing to combine your talks (or does
> Thomas's talk subsume yours anyway?)
>
> Andy - Would you be willing to combine your talks?

(catching after being offline ...)

They don't really combine - the decision to drop the "engineering" one
and keep the "Lizard" one is the right decision IMO.

	Thanks
	Andy

Re: Linked Data track (Was Re: ApacheCon EU: What I need help with)

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
Comments inline:

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi Rich,