Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/12/26 15:22:25 UTC

Incubator Policy Clean up - Part 1

All,

I agreed to take on the work to clean up the incubator policies and
procedures.  I spent a good amount of time last week going through our
documents and going through the foundation wide documents.  I'll summarize
the issues I saw into three broad categories:

- Incubator policies that duplicated, almost verbatim, foundation wide
policies
- Incubator policies that created cyclic loop, e.g. Page 1 Section 3
pointed to Page 2 Section 5 which pointed back to Page 1 Section 3.
- Incubator policies that were duplicated, often in a contradictory
fashion, other incubator policies.

You can see my initial pass at cleaning this up by going to this revision:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1776060 and this
revision http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1776061&view=rev.  Its all up on
a branch until we're in agreement that it's good to go, in which case it
can be pushed on to trunk.

By doing this work, I was able to eliminate the following guides:

- Committer (the foundation wide provided the same information, in addition
to what we list in roles and responsibilities)
- PMC (this was almost a direct copy of mentor, or mentor a copy of it, not
sure which)
- Release Management (these documents were all direct copies of foundation
wide procedures).  The one call out on this one is the 2013 alternate
release voting.  I'm not sure anyone has actually used it, and I'm not sure
if we should still maintain it.

Here are some of the major changes:
- Incubator Policy & Roles and Responsibilities had a lot of cross linking
between themselves.  I removed all notions of roles out of incubation
policy and instead used a link to roles and responsibilities to provide all
of the information.
- With the exception of committers, roles and responsibilities has no
outbound links.  It is now the consolidate source of truth of what
everyone's role is.
- Incubation Policy has had the "assessment" section removed and replaced
with quarterly reports.  I'm not sure if they were intended to be the same
thing or not, or if its a practice that stopped within the incubator but it
seems that the quarterly reports provide the same feedback.
- Old version of policy put much of the podling creation on mentors, new
version clarifies that infra actually does the work, guided by the mentors
on the steps they require.  Also added a link to a comdev/infra page on how
to request a podling.
- Clarified the use of IP Clearance and SGAs.
- Branding section clarified with the incubator specific requirements
(summary of the branding page)
- Same for releases.
- Removed release requirements that were labeled as "podling only" since
they were actually foundation wide requirements.
- Updated graduation requirements, mostly for readability.
- In areas that referenced SVN, also mentioned git.
- In mentor section, added the explicit work for creating podling.  Added
link for JIRA requests.
- In PPMC, added a note about combined committer and PPMC role, clarified
notice email to better align to board format.
- Removed editing your project's status page from PPMC, its covered
elsewhere.

Please take a look, start to comment on what you see.  And sorry for the
long email!

John