Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by gilbertoca <gi...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/01 15:00:17 UTC

Re: Table-per-class inheritance in Cayenne?

Hi jo,

Durchholz, Joachim wrote

> On http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/modeling-inheritance.html , I see this
> statement:
> "As of this writing Cayenne does not support horizontal inheritance. It
> may in the future."
>
> Well, guess what, the first instance where I absolutely need inheritance
> does require horizontal modeling. Two legacy tables happen to have a very
> similar column structure and server very similar purposes, and since the
> processing is complicated and accesses many fields of each record, having
> a common superclass wired up would really simplify a lot of code.
>
> So the question is: Is there any realistic hope that this will be done
> soon?

This issue is old[1]. Taking the Andrus' words "here you ran across
something on the edges of Cayenne". I think some guys give up on  Apache
Cayenne when they find it can't manage inheritance completely, so for some
projects this is limitation (After all it is an ORM, isn't it?[2]).
I've tried to introduce Cayenne in my work[3], but that limitation was the
main reason it wasn't choose.
So we are using JPA2 (eclipselink) in our projects.

Regards,

Gilberto

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-795
[2] http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ObjectRelationalToolComparison
[3] http://www.secad.to.gov.br

RE: Table-per-class inheritance in Cayenne?

Posted by "Durchholz, Joachim" <Jo...@hennig-fahrzeugteile.de>.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that JIRA report.
I see Andrus has it on his radar for 3.1, that's good.

BTW the c2.com link is outdated, it's from 2007 and hence does not list Ebean.

Regards,
Jo