Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2001/05/17 16:47:23 UTC

[Catalina 4.0 b5] reloadable="true" broken for JSP?

I've been using Tomcat 4.0 beta 5 and can't seem to get Tomcat to realise
that I've changed a JSP file and for it to recompile it. (This worked fine
in all the 3.X versions I've worked with)

Stopping & restarting it doesn't work - I physically have to delete the Java
code generated in jakarta-tomcat-4.0/work/localhost/foo and restart
Catalina - clearly not ideal.

I'm using the reloadable="true" attribute for the <Context>

    <Context path="/foo" docBase="/foo" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>

Is this a bug or is there a new way of doing this in Tomcat 4.0?

James

Re: [Catalina 4.0 b5] reloadable="true" broken for JSP?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> I've been using Tomcat 4.0 beta 5 and can't seem to get Tomcat to realise
> that I've changed a JSP file and for it to recompile it. (This worked fine
> in all the 3.X versions I've worked with)
>
> Stopping & restarting it doesn't work - I physically have to delete the
Java
> code generated in jakarta-tomcat-4.0/work/localhost/foo and restart
> Catalina - clearly not ideal.
>
> I'm using the reloadable="true" attribute for the <Context>
>
>     <Context path="/foo" docBase="/foo" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>
>
> Is this a bug or is there a new way of doing this in Tomcat 4.0?

It's a bug which only happens under Windows. It's fixed in the latest
nightly build.

Remy

Re: [Catalina 4.0 b5] reloadable="true" broken for JSP?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 17 May 2001, James Strachan wrote:

> I've been using Tomcat 4.0 beta 5 and can't seem to get Tomcat to realise
> that I've changed a JSP file and for it to recompile it. (This worked fine
> in all the 3.X versions I've worked with)
>
> Stopping & restarting it doesn't work - I physically have to delete the Java
> code generated in jakarta-tomcat-4.0/work/localhost/foo and restart
> Catalina - clearly not ideal.
>
> I'm using the reloadable="true" attribute for the <Context>
>
>     <Context path="/foo" docBase="/foo" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>

Actually, the reloadable property of a <Context> makes no difference on
whether JSP pages automatically recompile or not (true also for Tomcat
3.x).  It only affects whether Tomcat looks for changed classes in
WEB-INF/classes.

> Is this a bug or is there a new way of doing this in Tomcat 4.0?

It's a bug on Windows only.  Workarounds:
- Use the most recent nightly build (20010517 or later) - it's been fixed
- Use a different platform. :-)

> James

Craig