Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Robert Taylor <64...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/11/02 22:03:53 UTC

Maven(2.0): Web apps and transitive dependencies

Greetings, I'm new to Maven and am using Maven 2.0.
I'm trying to build a web application. That application has some
dependencies such as Hibernate3 and Spring. The transitive dependency
feature of Maven is copying in several .jar files which I don't
necessarily need at run time because I'm not using those particular
features of Hibernate3 and Spring. Is there a way to only have Maven
copy over those dependencies that are explicitely defined or do I have
to use the "excludes" feature to exclude those dependent dependencies
which I don't need.

/robert

Re: Maven(2.0): Web apps and transitive dependencies

Posted by Brian Bonner <bk...@gmail.com>.
Check out:  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV-133

Posted by Yann Le Du <le...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Robert Taylor <64...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
The preferred thing is to get the Hibernate and Spring POM's to put in
the <optional>true</optional> flag on their dependencies, so that you
don't have to do anything.  Until then, put in exclusions.

-Stephen

On 11/2/05, Robert Taylor <64...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Greetings, I'm new to Maven and am using Maven 2.0.
> I'm trying to build a web application. That application has some
> dependencies such as Hibernate3 and Spring. The transitive dependency
> feature of Maven is copying in several .jar files which I don't
> necessarily need at run time because I'm not using those particular
> features of Hibernate3 and Spring. Is there a way to only have Maven
> copy over those dependencies that are explicitely defined or do I have
> to use the "excludes" feature to exclude those dependent dependencies
> which I don't need.
>
> /robert

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: Maven(2.0): Web apps and transitive dependencies

Posted by Yann Le Du <le...@yahoo.com>.
I'm trying to help, but way far from being an expert :)

Yann

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
What I was saying is that he can put it under a different artifact name. The
only possible drawback with this approach is when a dependency depends of
hibernate, it will include all the jars but anyway you don't know wich one
is used so no problem there.

But if it's not a good practice then I suggest him to follow your advice.
You are the expert after all.

On 11/2/05, Yann Le Du <le...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Even if it would indeed do the trick, IMHO I would not encourage it
> because you
> would have to copy-paste every time the POM is changed in Maven central
> repository - and how would you be aware of such changes ? - or you want to
> use
> another Hibernate version.
>
> The "good practice" would be, as you suggested, to use the exclusions
> feature -
> not excludes - to specify the JARs you don't want. If you specified the
> ones
> you do want, then you wouldn't get new dependencies needed in subsequent
> Hibernate versions.
>
> It works just fine for me. BTW, you can notice that Hibernate 3.0.5 POM
> uses
> this feature for dom4j :)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Yann
>
> --- Robert Taylor <64...@bellsouth.net> a écrit :
>
> > Alexandre,
> >
> > Thanks for the prompt response!
> > I'll give your suggestion a try.
> >
> > /robert
> >
> > Alexandre Poitras wrote:
> > > Oh and don't forget to change your dependencies in your pom to point
> on
> > your
> > > new Hibernate version. Hope this help!

> hibernate jar
> don't
> but
> > you

> have

> > > --
> > > Alexandre Poitras
> > > Québec, Canada

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: Maven(2.0): Web apps and transitive dependencies

Posted by Robert Taylor <64...@bellsouth.net>.
Yann Le Du,

Thanks for your response as well. I'm always interested in learning and
following the best practices approach and as I am a newbie to Maven.
What you say makes good sense and I appreciate your insight. And yes, I
did notice a slew of exclusions in the Hibernate3.0.5 pom.

Thanks.

/robert

Posted by Yann Le Du <le...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Robert Taylor <64...@bellsouth.net>.
Alexandre,

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: Maven(2.0): Web apps and transitive dependencies

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
In my opinion, what you can do is define somewhere in your internal
repository, a "light" version of hibernate. You just copy the hibernate jar
and pom in another location and then you remove the dependances you don't
want in the pom. This way, you keep the regular version of hibernate but you
can use your light version for any number of projects.

On 11/2/05, Robert Taylor <64...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Greetings, I'm new to Maven and am using Maven 2.0.
> I'm trying to build a web application. That application has some
> dependencies such as Hibernate3 and Spring. The transitive dependency
> feature of Maven is copying in several .jar files which I don't
> necessarily need at run time because I'm not using those particular
> features of Hibernate3 and Spring. Is there a way to only have Maven
> copy over those dependencies that are explicitely defined or do I have
> to use the "excludes" feature to exclude those dependent dependencies
> which I don't need.
>
> /robert

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada