Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Craig Macdonald <cr...@dcs.gla.ac.uk> on 2009/04/03 14:36:54 UTC

best practice: mapred.local vs dfs drives

Hello all,

Following recent hardware discussions, I thought I'd ask a related
question. Our cluster nodes have 3 drives: 1x 160GB system/scratch and
2x 500GB DFS drives.

The 160GB system drive is partitioned such that 100GB is for job
mapred.local space. However, we find that for our application,
mapred.local free space for map output space is the limiting parameter
on the number of reducers we can have (our application prefers less
reducers).

How do people normally work for dfs vs mapred.local space. Do you (a)
share the DFS drives with the task tracker temporary files, Or do you
(b) keep them on separate partitions or drives?

We originally went with (b) because it prevented a run-away job from
eating all the DFS space on the machine, however, I'm beginning to
realise the disadvantages.

Any comments?

Thanks

Craig

Re: best practice: mapred.local vs dfs drives

Posted by Craig Macdonald <cr...@dcs.gla.ac.uk>.
Thanks for the headsup.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@gmail.com>.
We always share the drives.