Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by "Elsholz, Alexander" <Al...@ps-sangross.de> on 2001/10/17 13:04:58 UTC

EJB and SOAP

Hi,

is it possible to find and communicate with EJB's under using SOAP as the
wireless protocol?

could soap replace RMI?

regards alex

Re: EJB and SOAP

Posted by Aczél Csilla <ac...@freemail.hu>.
Yes, it;s possible. See Apache SOAP samples. There are three demos
(stateless, stateful and entity).

Csilla

Re: EJB and SOAP

Posted by Aczél Csilla <ac...@freemail.hu>.

Posted by "T. Carson Hager" <ca...@cynergysystems.com>.
Could it replace RMI?  I seriously doubt it.  I would call it an alternative
where protocol restrictions make it impossible to use RMI/IIOP, RMI/JRMP,
etc.  Most vendors of worth offer HTTP tunneling for these protocols where
this is a problem.  One of the major benefits is the ease of use and lack of
client installation of the RMI client context classes.  The significant
drawback in the SOAP approach will be efficiency in moving data, especially
with binary data which the other listed protocols are much more adept at
handling.  Of course, that's all out the window if you have to tunnel.  That
being said, I see SOAP as a great way to access EJB services through a
firewall but RMI wins when there are no firewall restrictions.  Then there
are the self describing attributes of SOAP/WSDL that have benefits for
dynamic invocation but that's a whole different subject.

Carson

Carson Hager
Cynergy Systems, Inc.
Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
http://www.cynergysystems.com

RE: EJB and SOAP

Posted by "T. Carson Hager" <ca...@cynergysystems.com>.