Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rob Casteen <ro...@testadvantage.com> on 2003/05/28 23:13:26 UTC

Jaybird With Tomcat Part II

Just to clarify:
I am using
Windows 2000 Pro
Tomcat 4.1.18
Firebird Version 1
FirebirdSQL-1.0.0 (Jaybird)

I just want Tomcat to connect to a Firebird database on a windows 2k
system using the Jaybird Type 4 driver from Firebird. Simple as that.
Just a .jsp to test it  and the Tomcat configurations.  I have been work
deligently on this for about a week now - could someone offer some
insight? As indicated in my previous post, I have followed all
documentation (what there is), search for answers on the firebird site,
google, and submitted a paid question to google answers. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

        Robert Casteen

 TEST ADVANTAGE, Inc.           Direct Tel: [1] 480-337-3367
 1525 West 10th Place         	Main Tel: [1] 480-337-3377
 Tempe, Arizona 85281 USA       Fax: [1] 480 337 3370

 Email: robert.casteen@testadvantage.com
 Web: www.testadvantage.com

Re: Jaybird With Tomcat Part II

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org>.
On Thu, 29 May 2003 05:13, Rob Casteen wrote:
> Just to clarify:
> I am using
> Windows 2000 Pro
> Tomcat 4.1.18
> Firebird Version 1
> FirebirdSQL-1.0.0 (Jaybird)

First thing you probably want to try is the DB Taglibs:

http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/dbtags-doc/intro.html

They have good documentation to get you on your way for the JSP side of
things.

IB Phoenix, which from memory is the corporation behind Firebird has a bit of
information about Tomcat at:

http://www.ibphoenix.com/a631.htm#8

Their example though is to setup a realm for user authentication but things
like the connectionUrl would be the same.

You should also check out the JNDI Datasource howto at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

Follow the MySQL one and just modify it for Firebird.

Using all that information should end with you having a JNDI datasource setup
in your server.xml, the Jaybird JDBC driver's .jar file in WEB-INF/lib, the
dbtags .jar file in WEB-INF/lib, the taglib .tld file in WEB-INF and your
.jsp page in the root of your web application, then with a restart of Tomcat
you should be good to go.

Just read the doco very carefully and go one step at a time. :)

Jason Bainbridge
KDE Web Team - http://kde.org
webmaster@kde.org

Re: Jaybird With Tomcat Part II

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
You only need to copy your JDBC driver into common/lib, not all your
jars.  Keep most everything in WEB-INF/lib except the JDBC driver jar.

Jake

Posted by Rick Fincher <rn...@tbird.com>.
The datasource setup in the admin console is unstable and usually does not
work.  Define your contexxt in conf/server.xml manually.  See my previous
post for details.

Rick

> Of course, and I wouldn't be asking the question without tons of
> research on my own. I will post the errors below for what I was
> receiving previously, yet now when  I copy the libs into common/lib, the
> webapps are inaccessible.
>
> Here is my previous email:
>
> Hey guys, I am hoping I could get some help with this issue. The
> research I have done online reveals this error with several databases
> although I have yet to find a actionable answer nor anything firebird
> specific. I am attempting to connect Firebird to Tomcat based on the
> MYSQL example in the Tomcat Docs and through the datasource setup in the
> administration console. I have attempted to include all relevant data to
> show the activity on my server,  including the log, the example code,
> and the relevant server.xml code.
>
> I appreciate all help that you can offer.
> Rob
>
> **************Log
>
> java.sql.SQLException: Cannot load JDBC driver class 'null'
>    at

org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.jav
a:529)
>    at

org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:3
12)
>    at foo.DBTest.init(DBTest.java:23)
>    at org.apache.jsp.test_jsp._jspService(test_jsp.java:49)
>    at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)
>    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
>    at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:2
04)
>    at
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
>    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
>    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
>    at

FilterChain.java:247)
>    at

ain.java:193)
>    at

va:260)
>    at

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
>    at

>    at
>    at

va:191)

)
>    at

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
>    at

java:170)
>    at

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
>    at

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172
)
>    at

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
>    at

>    at
>    at

:174)
>    at

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
>    at

>    at
>    at
> org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
>    at
> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:432)
>    at

ction(Http11Protocol.java:386)
>    at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:534)
>    at

a:530)

Posted by Alex Burton <al...@e-plus.com.au>.
Make sure the database resource is in the context you are accessing. Also
make sure any classes JAR has .jar extension... .zip extenstion will not
work.

e.g.

Accessing by http://www.mydomain.com/mydomain

<Host name="www.mydomain.com" debug="1" appBase="virtual_hosts"
unpackWARs="true">
	<Context path="/mydomain" docBase="mydomain" debug="0" reloadable="false"
override="true">
		<Resource name="jdbc/myConnection" auth="Container"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
		<ResourceParams name="jdbc/myConnection">

r</value></parameter>
			<parameter>
				<name>driverName</name>
				<value>jdbc:oracle:thin:@127.0.0.1:1521:ORCL</value>