Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "M. van Renswoude" <ma...@x2software.net> on 2003/12/27 23:41:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2, Windows & large files

Hi,

I'm running Apache 2.0.47 on Windows XP Pro. It runs perfectly, fast as can
be, except when someone starts downloading a large file. These files range
from 15 MB to 800 MB. What happens is that the server becomes extremely
slow, even when calling a page from the same computer or LAN. It doesn't
have anything to do with the internet connection, as I had the same with
someone downloading at 0.5 kb/sec while my connection can handle up to 65
kb/sec (and did when I started uploading using an FTP client to test)...
I've had this problem with every 2.0 release, can't remember if 1.3 suffered
the same problem...

The only related thing I changed in my config:

<IfModule mpm_winnt.c>
ThreadsPerChild 64
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

...this was set to 250 ThreadsPerChild earlier today, reduced it only as a
test, didn't change anything. There are only about 5 to 8 open downloads on
the server, along with me developing on it, so I doubt it's running out of
available connections.

The computer is a P4 1.8 Ghz, 512 MB DDR, 7200 RPM 80 Gb Maxtor IDE disk,
sharing it with the rest of my system for normal desktop use. There is no
excessive disk usage, CPU usage or memory usage. Basically, nothing seems to
be wrong, except Apache stops responding to anything other than the current
downloads...

I have no clue as to why this is happening, or how Apache can be optimized
for these situations, so I hope someone on this list has the expertise to
help me...

Thanks in advance for any reply,

Mark van Renswoude

RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2, Windows & large files

Posted by "M. van Renswoude" <ma...@x2software.net>.
Glad to hear I'm not alone. It wasn't funny anymore, I couldn't test my PHP
scripts because it just wouldn't respond. I gave up and installed Apache 1.3
next to it, changed the config to point all directories to my Apache 2 ones.
1.3 didn't complain about anything, and now 6 users are downloading big
files from me and I still get fast pages locally. I did notice that showing
a page with lots of images on it takes more time to load compared to Apache
2 (when it doesn't stall that is), so I do hope this is fixed in the WinNT
MPM (assuming that's where the problem lies) since Apache 2 does appear to
be running smoother and more stable when only small files are served...

Mark

I have the exact same difficulty.  I'm running 2.0.48 on Win2k pro...

I have just migrated to apache from a different server, but this is very
annoying.  The vast majority of my pages are static, so it's not the cpu or
anything holding it down (it IS only a 450mhz K6-2, but that's plenty for
static html and files.  Can saturate 10mbit ethernet no problem when no
other users are on, but if someone else is downloading, the following
poster's experience is exactly the same as mine.)

-Dean

At 11:41 PM 12/27/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm running Apache 2.0.47 on Windows XP Pro. It runs perfectly, fast as can
>be, except when someone starts downloading a large file. These files range
>from 15 MB to 800 MB. What happens is that the server becomes extremely
>slow, even when calling a page from the same computer or LAN. It doesn't
>have anything to do with the internet connection, as I had the same with
>someone downloading at 0.5 kb/sec while my connection can handle up to 65
>kb/sec (and did when I started uploading using an FTP client to test)...
>I've had this problem with every 2.0 release, can't remember if 1.3
suffered
>the same problem...
>

>The only related thing I changed in my config:
>
><IfModule mpm_winnt.c>
>ThreadsPerChild 64
>MaxRequestsPerChild  0
></IfModule>
>

>...this was set to 250 ThreadsPerChild earlier today, reduced it only as a
>test, didn't change anything. There are only about 5 to 8 open downloads on
>the server, along with me developing on it, so I doubt it's running out of
>available connections.
>

>The computer is a P4 1.8 Ghz, 512 MB DDR, 7200 RPM 80 Gb Maxtor IDE disk,
>sharing it with the rest of my system for normal desktop use. There is no
>excessive disk usage, CPU usage or memory usage. Basically, nothing seems
>be wrong, except Apache stops responding to anything other than the current
>downloads...
>

>I have no clue as to why this is happening, or how Apache can be optimized
>for these situations, so I hope someone on this list has the expertise to
>help me...
>

>Thanks in advance for any reply,
>

>Mark van Renswoude

Dean
dean@ripperd2.dhs.org
http://ripperd2.dhs.org/
Carpe Diem!

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2, Windows & large files

Posted by "Dean E." <de...@ripperd2.dhs.org>.
I have the exact same difficulty.  I'm running 2.0.48 on Win2k pro...

I have just migrated to apache from a different server, but this is very
annoying.  The vast majority of my pages are static, so it's not the cpu or
anything holding it down (it IS only a 450mhz K6-2, but that's plenty for
static html and files.  Can saturate 10mbit ethernet no problem when no
other users are on, but if someone else is downloading, the following
poster's experience is exactly the same as mine.)

-Dean

At 11:41 PM 12/27/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm running Apache 2.0.47 on Windows XP Pro. It runs perfectly, fast as can
>be, except when someone starts downloading a large file. These files range
>from 15 MB to 800 MB. What happens is that the server becomes extremely
>slow, even when calling a page from the same computer or LAN. It doesn't
>have anything to do with the internet connection, as I had the same with
>someone downloading at 0.5 kb/sec while my connection can handle up to 65
>kb/sec (and did when I started uploading using an FTP client to test)...
>I've had this problem with every 2.0 release, can't remember if 1.3 suffered
>the same problem...
>

>The only related thing I changed in my config:
>
><IfModule mpm_winnt.c>
>ThreadsPerChild 64
>MaxRequestsPerChild  0
></IfModule>
>

>...this was set to 250 ThreadsPerChild earlier today, reduced it only as a
>test, didn't change anything. There are only about 5 to 8 open downloads on
>the server, along with me developing on it, so I doubt it's running out of
>available connections.
>

>The computer is a P4 1.8 Ghz, 512 MB DDR, 7200 RPM 80 Gb Maxtor IDE disk,
>sharing it with the rest of my system for normal desktop use. There is no
>excessive disk usage, CPU usage or memory usage. Basically, nothing seems to
>be wrong, except Apache stops responding to anything other than the current
>downloads...
>

>I have no clue as to why this is happening, or how Apache can be optimized
>for these situations, so I hope someone on this list has the expertise to
>help me...
>

>Thanks in advance for any reply,
>

>Mark van Renswoude

Dean
dean@ripperd2.dhs.org
http://ripperd2.dhs.org/
Carpe Diem!

RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2, Windows & large files

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
>  All tests point to Apache 2 not
>  being able to handle large files on Windows, or having bad default
>  settings at least...

Ok. Something else that may or may not be relevant. Have you tried changing/adding the "EnableSendfile On|Off" setting in httpd.conf? Could be worth a try.

I do no that I'm serving at least one not too smal file from an Apache2 on WinXP, and so far noone has complained. Actually, when I temporarily had a few files wich were about 300MBs each (IIRC) the person who doesnloaded them noted (in a mail) that the server and connection were pretty fast, so it *is* posible to serve large files with speed with Apache2 on WinXP.

Unfortunatley we have now reached the limit of my relevant knowledge as I normally run web servers on OS/2, Linux and FreeBSD and have little experience of Apache on WinXP (I do run two such setups, but they are both rather small and I've never actually tweaked or changed anything after their initial configuration).

Regards
/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org
http://www.fsdb.org/

RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2, Windows & large files

Posted by "M. van Renswoude" <ma...@x2software.net>.
Good you asked, but no. They're un an uncompressed NTFS volume which I
recently defragged, and I hate anything intrusive like a realtime virus
scanner. Like I said, neither CPU nor HD usage is high during this time,
they're both almost falling asleep :). I can reproduce this every single
time, even on a fresh configuration, and Apache 1.3 doesn't suffer from this
problem...

On a sidenote: it doesn't matter which disk I use. I had some downloads from
my primary disk (where the server is also installed), and a couple from a
secondary (physical) hard disk (7200 RPM 120 GB IBM/Hitachi IDE). All tests

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.