Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/03 03:49:46 UTC

Roller UI Ideas (Was Re: ApacheCon CFP closes June 25)

Hi Gaurav, I've been working heavily on the backend and am thankfully
getting to a point where I can look more at the frontend.  We may need
to release Roller 5.1 just to get retire the 5.0.x series -- front-end
looks very similar, but back-end is much cleaner and faster to build,
lower maintenance, etc.  So Roller 5.1 is at least standing on a good
foundation, even if the UI themes need some work.

Some of the UI things I'd like to see done (some may get into 5.1, some
may in a subsequent patch release), regardless of who does them, are as
follows:

1.) Both the gaurav and fauxcoly themes OOTB say "here's the top 30 tags
for this blog", but that doesn't help a starting blogger who has just
one or two blog entries and next to no tags--the blog looks bad that
way.  A blog theme should look good from day one even if the blogger has
just a few blog entries.  I'd like to see the tag stuff removed and have
it replaced with either the blogroll, ATOM feeds, or something else.
One idea is to move the top horizontal menu line providing archives,
login, buttons to the side and include categories in the top horizontal
line instead.

2.) The fauxcoly theme uses YUI (Yahoo User Interface) stored in
webapp/roller-ui/yui, but the YUI is from 2009.  I'd like to have it
replaced with the latest release YUI.  The YUI we ship with Roller is
not just for fauxcoly, but for any YUI-based custom theme a user may
wish to create (by keeping it in roller-ui/yui a new theme creator
doesn't have to bother importing all the YUI files with his theme.)
Also, if the theme can be tweaked a bit to be responsive while using YUI
still that would be good.

3.) The gaurav theme of course uses Bootstrap and JQuery.  Likewise,
rather than directly incorporate that stuff in the gaurav theme, I'd
like to have it placed under webapp/roller-ui/bootstrap and have the
gaurav theme reference those files from there.  That way, again, anyone
can come up with their own Bootstrap-based theme without needing to
upload all the Bootstrap files.

4.) Both the gaurav and fauxcoly themes duplicate an icons folder having
all the social media bitmaps for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.  I'd
like to see those icons stored in one place, maybe roller-ui/icons or
/socialmedia or whatever, so themes can reference those icons without
needing to duplicate them into their themes.

5.) Shelan, another contributor around 2010 created a mobile weblog view
for a blog, as you can see in the upper-right corner here:
http://www.nailedtothex.org/roller/kyle/entry/nested-list-element-issue-of1
.  The mobile theme doesn't seem to work right today (that blog entry at
that link shows the problems with it, the blogger had to make changes
basically making it a standard blog anyway, and even with those changes
I saw further errors with it.)  What Shelan did was very nice circa 2010
(before Bootstrap existed) but might be frowned upon today, I think one
is expected to use a responsive theme today when you want to support all
types of devices, rather than have (antiquated?) "click here for mobile"
and "click here for standard" buttons.  Unsure, but we may wish to pull
this out of the basic theme once fauxcoly and gaurav are better
established.

6.) Our website is old-fashioned, perhaps about 50% of Apache websites
are now using Bootstrap and I'd like Roller to be one of them.  The
stuff that is on the Roller Wiki would remain there, so that doesn't
need converting, just the several relatively small pages making up
roller.apache.org.

7.) We eventually should have a sample theme (probably non-responsive as
this is a portal-type page) showing how to display Roller's Planet
functionality (it is very crude here:
http://rollerweblogger.org/project/page/planet, the CSS isn't working).
I haven't looked at this at all, and am unsure how well the backend
still supports it.

If any of this sounds interesting to you (or any other Roller
committer), just let us know so we're not duplicating effort and feel
free to jump into it!

Regards,
Glen

Re: Roller UI Ideas (Was Re: ApacheCon CFP closes June 25)

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg, I don't think the theme.xml needs to be altered for that, it
would be redundant...the presence of multiple theme definitions
automatically should mean that both templates are active, based on their
<type/> element.  Below is part of the theme.xml for the basic theme:

     <template action="weblog">
         <name>Weblog</name>
         <description>weblog</description>
         <link></link>
         <navbar>false</navbar>
         <hidden>true</hidden>
         <templateCode>
<templateLanguage>velocity</templateLanguage>
             <contentType>text/html</contentType>
             <contentsFile>weblog.vm</contentsFile>
             <type>standard</type>
         </templateCode>
         <templateCode>
<templateLanguage>velocity</templateLanguage>
             <contentType>text/html</contentType>
<contentsFile>weblog-mobile.vm</contentsFile>
             <type>mobile</type>
         </templateCode>
     </template>

By virtue of the fact that one <templateCode> has a type of "standard"
and the other has "mobile" means they're both active for their
respective types.   If the person doesn't want mobile he can just
comment-out the latter <templateCode> definition, that should suffice I
think.  Otherwise you're gonna have people uncomment the second
<templateCode/> and get confused why it isn't activating, forgetting
that they also forgot to add in a new
<useMobileTheme>true</useMobileTheme> element.

> I think these edit programs use the YUI css tab.  Are we sticking with YUI?

I think you mean the JSP pages that we use to edit blog entries
(EntryEdit.jsp for example), yes, I just noticed it uses YUI.  YUI
should be fine, definitely for 5.1, if ain't broke don't fix it. Still,
I put in a JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ROL-2019) for us
to update our YUI library to a recent release of it (we're using a YUI
from 2009), as that YUI apparently is also used by themes wanting that
library, and I'd like theme customizers to have access to the latest and
greatest.  Feel free to grab it if you wish.

Glen

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.
[...]

I guess mobile first will become the standard, but what I like about the
separate theme you can still use your investment in your existing design
(desktop) and then a responsive design for the mobile/tablets, where you
can target more the mobile devices rather than one fits all design (which
tend to be more mobile centric than desktop).  Yes more work but for roller
the themes are quite simple.

Surfing an a mobile?  hmm, think apps are the way to go as you get more
"lockin" and a much better user experience.  ...a whole lot more work and
complexity however.

Posted by Gaurav Saini <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hello Glen,

I like the idea of support a 2nd UI library in Roller. Foundation is
another which we can have in roller (http://foundation.zurb.com/). There
are also a lot of people using these library. I can build another Roller
Theme in future using foundation, so that way we will be having
Bootstrap, YUI and foundation themes.

Also, as you mentioned about 6 theme types, that also seems great as
this way user will have a lot of choices to choose from.

I am now taking up ROL-2022 now and waiting for my credentials so I can
have a go with SVN. I have gone with the other JIRA you mentioned. I can
easily grab them as I will be familiar to the SVN.

Thanks
Gaurav

On Friday 04 July 2014 06:30 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:

> [...]
> try anything with bootstrap, I'd like to confirm the current process
> works for you--once you become committer, add yourself to our people
> page and publish it on the website.
>
> If we use bootstrap, I'm unsure but it may be an svn commit
> automatically updates the website instead of the "publish" button you
> first have to hit on the above link.  The bootstrap sites hosted by
> Apache seem to be of two types: some are vanilla bootstrap committed
> manually (allows you to use the latest-and-greatest I guess), most
> seem to use the Maven Fluido Plugin
> (http://maven.apache.org/skins/maven-fluido-skin/) though and somehow
> incorporate website updates using Maven commands.  We have an Apache
> Infrastructure (infra@apache.org) mailing list you can ask whatever
> technical questions you have (that we don't know.  :)
>
> If you could bring in Bootstrap while keeping our current
> publish-button system, that would be great.  Failing that, some way we
> can look at our changes locally and confirm they look good before
> publishing to the internet.  Also, to update our edit_website page
> describing the new process so others will know what to do.
>

>>> 7.) We eventually should have a sample theme (probably
>>> non-responsive as this is a portal-type page) showing how to display
>>> Roller's Planet functionality (it is very crude here:
>>> http://rollerweblogger.org/project/page/planet, the CSS isn't
>>> working).  I haven't looked at this at all, and am unsure how well
>>> the backend still supports it.
>>>

>> I am bit unclear about the planet concept. Can you please tell me a
>> bit what exactly it does.
>>

> The planet concept is meant to create a light dashboard to take care
> of mild accumulation needs (mailing list updates, list of bloggers
> you're subscribed to, changes to Wiki pages) so you don't have to
> immediately move to fuller CMS solutions unless you really need
> something more advanced (maybe Jetspeed or Lenya or Jackrabbit or
> whatever.)  We're blogging software, there's other Apache projects
> handling other types of content management systems we're not here to
> duplicate.  This is a later-off thing, perhaps, after we get the main
> blog themes working.
>

>>> If any of this sounds interesting to you (or any other Roller
>>> committer), just let us know so we're not duplicating effort and
>>> feel free to jump into it!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Glen
>>>

>> Just let me know priority wise which task to take first, then we can
>> move around all and complete it.
>>

> My suggestions: ROL-2022 (good starter practice working with SVN at
> Apache), ROL-2020, ROL-2023.  Then your choice of either working with
> the YUI stuff (ROL-2019, ROL-2021) or updating the website w/Bootstrap
> (ROL-2024).  Just claim one at a time though on JIRA (others are
> welcome to grab others, I may take one or two myself), complete it
> before grabbing another.  But we have to wait of course until Dave

Gaurav Saini
Developer and Internet Marketing

Re: Roller UI Ideas (Was Re: ApacheCon CFP closes June 25)

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

#2 alone then -- I'll look into this one.  I haven't looked at YUI much

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
On 07/03/2014 02:17 AM, Gaurav Saini wrote:
> Correct, it looks odd that for new blogger it will not show the tag
> cloud. Rather than removing we can put a condition that if more than 5
> tags comes than we can show that complete box/panel of hot tags.

Oh, I didn't realize a tag cloud will appear if there are enough tags.
Yes, great idea, show it as a unit--either desc+cloud or neither.

Please note, all of the open JIRAs are good to get fixed--feel free to
assign to yourself and then work on whichever ones interest you once you
get commit access.  As we're nearing a release though, try to avoid
major commits (things that can't be tested well before committing but
we'd want to run with for a few weeks to make sure nothing fails) or
partial commits that would put the application in an unreleasable state.

Regards,
Glen

Re: Roller UI Ideas (Was Re: ApacheCon CFP closes June 25)

Posted by Gaurav Saini <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hello Glen,

Its great that we now have a good solid backend foundation for roller.
As, you said we can now improve the front-end side of roller with the
changes you mentioned below. I am sharing below my ideas about the
points you mentioned.

On Thursday 03 July 2014 07:19 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:
> Hi Gaurav, I've been working heavily on the backend and am thankfully
> getting to a point where I can look more at the frontend.  We may need
> to release Roller 5.1 just to get retire the 5.0.x series -- front-end
> looks very similar, but back-end is much cleaner and faster to build,
> lower maintenance, etc.  So Roller 5.1 is at least standing on a good
> foundation, even if the UI themes need some work.
>
> Some of the UI things I'd like to see done (some may get into 5.1,
> some may in a subsequent patch release), regardless of who does them,
> are as follows:
>
> 1.) Both the gaurav and fauxcoly themes OOTB say "here's the top 30
> tags for this blog", but that doesn't help a starting blogger who has
> just one or two blog entries and next to no tags--the blog looks bad
> that way.  A blog theme should look good from day one even if the
> blogger has just a few blog entries.  I'd like to see the tag stuff
> removed and have it replaced with either the blogroll, ATOM feeds, or
> something else.  One idea is to move the top horizontal menu line
> providing archives, login, buttons to the side and include categories
> in the top horizontal line instead.

Correct, it looks odd that for new blogger it will not show the tag
cloud. Rather than removing we can put a condition that if more than 5
tags comes than we can show that complete box/panel of hot tags.
Rather than moving the top horizontal menu we can just add another nav
element Categories (and then show all categories in dropdown when
someone hover over it) eg: http://awesomescreenshot.com/02f333os92

> 2.) The fauxcoly theme uses YUI (Yahoo User Interface) stored in
> webapp/roller-ui/yui, but the YUI is from 2009.  I'd like to have it
> replaced with the latest release YUI.  The YUI we ship with Roller is
> not just for fauxcoly, but for any YUI-based custom theme a user may
> wish to create (by keeping it in roller-ui/yui a new theme creator
> doesn't have to bother importing all the YUI files with his theme.)
> Also, if the theme can be tweaked a bit to be responsive while using
> YUI still that would be good.

What I think is two option for this, we can replace YUI with bootstrap
themes (http://bootswatch.com/) and this is make it responsive. Also
with this we can upgrade the back-end UI also through which it will be
easier to create blogs from any screens (mobiles and tabs on the go).
Another option is upgrading to YUI 2 to YUI 3, but YUI 3 might not
provide much features which bootstrap provides, although from docs it
seems it has responsiveness support.

My Idea is to go with bootstrap as its easier to upgrade it and active
development is going at hight pace and will enhance the UI very much.

> 3.) The gaurav theme of course uses Bootstrap and JQuery.  Likewise,
> rather than directly incorporate that stuff in the gaurav theme, I'd
> like to have it placed under webapp/roller-ui/bootstrap and have the
> gaurav theme reference those files from there.  That way, again,
> anyone can come up with their own Bootstrap-based theme without
> needing to upload all the Bootstrap files.

+1