Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com.au> on 2006/04/07 03:03:43 UTC

Calling addDocument twice for the same document

Hi all.

I have a situation where a Document is constructed with a bunch of
strings and a couple of readers.  An error may occur while reading from
the readers, and in these situations, we want to remove the reader and
then try to index the same document again.

I've made a test case which creates a document containing only strings,
and calls addDocument twice with that document.  This appears to behave
as expected, but I'm wondering mainly if I'm making a bad assumption here.

The next step is probably more interesting: removing the readers.  At
present, Document has no convenient way for us to remove these fields.
As removeField() and removeFields() take a string, I can't use those
because we only want to remove fields where there is a reader and no
string, and these methods remove all fields with the given name.  And as
fields() returns an Enumeration instead of an Iterator, we can't just
iterate through and remove the ones we don't want.

What would be the easiest way out of that?  At the moment I'm thinking I
will implement a fieldIterator() method that returns an Iterator, and
then the code will loop through and remove() any fields which have a
readerValue().

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll