Posted to dev@cmda.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2015/09/14 12:22:27 UTC

Possible mapping of some CMDA objects with ISO 19115?

Hello all

Looking at the "ApacheCMDA-Backend/app/models" directory, I see some
metadata for tracking the publications, instruments, services, etc.
Would it be desirable to use ISO 19115 metadata where applicable? It
does not necessarily imply to change the model: CMDA could either use
ISO 19115 model, or keep its current model and provide adapters to ISO
19115 (if desired). Some DCMA  →  ISO possible mappings could be:

  * Publication.paperTitle  →  Citation.title
  * Publication.author  → Citation.citedResponsibleParty.name
  * Publication.publicationChannel  → Citation.presentationForm
  * Publication.year  → Citation.editionDate
  * Publication.id  → Citation.identifier
  * Instrument.name  → Instrument.citation or identifier
  * Instrument.description  → Instrument.description
  * Dataset (long class, but most of its properties could be mapped to
    ISO 19115).

Is there any interest to use ISO 19115 model? If so, I could help by
suggesting mappings. DCMA could either uses on its own (without external
dependency) a model close to ISO 19115, or use an existing library like
Apache SIS. If some peoples wants to explore more what the ISO model
looks like, there is there some overviews:

About citation:
http://sis.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/sis/metadata/iso/citation/package-summary.html#package.description
About instrument:
http://sis.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/sis/metadata/iso/acquisition/package-summary.html#package.description
About content of dataset:
http://sis.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/sis/metadata/iso/content/package-summary.html#package.description

There is also other packages about data quality, linear, etc. As a side
note, I think that NOAA already uses ISO 19115.

    Martin