Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by olivier lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2007/12/10 10:37:45 UTC

release process

Hi,
I'd like to work on release for maven-invoker-plugin (and maven-invoker).
For this there are two things to release maven-invoker and
maven-invoker-plugin.
Does this needs two separate votes ?

But first, is the documentation here [1] up to date ?
Can I do this as I'm not a PMC ?
An other newbie question : what I have to do with gpg key. Is it needed for
artifacts deployed on the repo ?

Thanks in advance for help,
--
Olivier

[1] http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/pmc-release-process.html

Re: release process

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 10 December 2007, olivier lamy wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to work on release for maven-invoker-plugin (and
> maven-invoker). For this there are two things to release maven-invoker
> and maven-invoker-plugin.
> Does this needs two separate votes ?

One is fine as long as the vote is very clear that you are voting for
BOTH artifacts and it shows the locations where they are both staged
(could be a single stage repo) and both tags, etc....

> But first, is the documentation here [1] up to date ?

No.  I don't think so.   Step 5 seems wrong as that would result in them
deploying to the sync repo immediately instead of after the vote.   I
think:
http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/releasing.html
is closer to correct.

> Can I do this as I'm not a PMC ?

Yes.   But only the PMC votes are binding.

> An other newbie question : what I have to do with gpg key. Is it
> needed for artifacts deployed on the repo ?

Yep.  That's an apache requirement.  All released artifacts, even those
going into the maven repository, should be gpg signed.

Dan

> Thanks in advance for help,
> --
> Olivier
>
> [1]
> http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/pmc-release-process.html

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: release process

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.
olivier lamy wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to work on release for maven-invoker-plugin (and maven-invoker).
> For this there are two things to release maven-invoker and
> maven-invoker-plugin.
> Does this needs two separate votes ?

I would say that one is enough if staged at the same time.

> But first, is the documentation here [1] up to date ?

http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/releasing.html

> Can I do this as I'm not a PMC ?

Any committer can stage and call for a vote.

> An other newbie question : what I have to do with gpg key. Is it needed for
> artifacts deployed on the repo ?

Attach it to https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/project/KEYS
and configure your .m2/settings.xml profile as in the release document
above.  It's needed for authenticating the upload of the staging artifacts.

Cheers

Re: release process

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
olivier lamy wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to work on release for maven-invoker-plugin (and maven-invoker).
> For this there are two things to release maven-invoker and
> maven-invoker-plugin.
> Does this needs two separate votes ?

I did one vote for doxia and doxia-sitetools together earlier. That
caused our Continuum instance to fail for a couple of days. That is
because one of the artifact depends on the other, but that one isn't yet
available in the central repo. This can get confusing, so my
recommendation is to do two separate votes, and not stage the second
artifact until the first one has been officially released. This does
drag out on the release a bit, though.

> But first, is the documentation here [1] up to date ?
> Can I do this as I'm not a PMC ?
> An other newbie question : what I have to do with gpg key. Is it needed for
> artifacts deployed on the repo ?
>
> Thanks in advance for help,
> --
> Olivier