Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/25 12:58:42 UTC

exception logging

I'm having some issues with Stratos spawning instances due to
downstream issues with my IaaS.  However, I'm seeing a  lot of
exception stack traces in my stratos log file.

The first question that comes to mind while looking through the logs
is "has an error occurred within the Stratos code base?".

Should we be hiding exceptions from users unless something the
exception is because something has gone wrong with Stratos code?

Re: exception logging

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Devs,  the last email should have been for the whole dev list, not
just Udara and Nirmal...

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

Re: exception logging

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Udara, Nirmal,

Re: exception logging

Re: exception logging

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 11:14 PM, chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nirmal, I was thinking it is OK to log one or two lines or information,
> but not a stack trace?

Wouldn't this approach cause us to lose data which will help to determine
what went wrong if an issue occurs? IMHO we should log stack traces as well
in case of an error. But I agree that verbosity of error logging should be
controlled, else it will actually hide the real problem among lines and
lines of errors.

Re: exception logging

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

If we consider jclouds scenario, having jclouds exception in stack trace
helps us to get a clue as to what went wrong. If we remove that, we might
need to ask the user to reproduce the issue, with jclouds logs enabled. But
wouldn't that be an inconvenient thing?

Re: exception logging

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: exception logging