Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Taavi Tiirik <ta...@ibs.ee> on 2001/11/12 12:11:07 UTC

basic auth does not work? ( 4.0.1 final and 4.0 latest nightly )

I cannot get basic authentication to work with 4.0.1 release
and latest nightly build.

All I did in examples/WEB-INF/web.xml was:
1. added
<login-config>
  <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
  <realm-name>Private</realm-name>
</login-config>
2. commented out form based login configuration.

Tomcat gives 'HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error'
when I try to access examples/jsp/security/protected/

Is this how it should be or is there a fix for this?

Craig, anybody, is this a current behaviour or am I doing
something wong? If it does not work at the moment
can you estimate when...? :-)

best regards,
Taavi

Re: basic auth does not work? ( 4.0.1 final and 4.0 latest nightly )

Posted by raj <ra...@clarologic.com>.

>>Yes, this is the current behaviour. Refer to earlier posts (by search).
>>
>>Current remedy is to use "form" instead (if appropriate) else revet back
>>to 3.x.
>>

>thanks,
>
>is there any time estimate of when it will start working again?

No developer/coder has replied to this (ASAIK).

I too am waiting (albeit not with baited breath, since I use FORM) for
some indication.

Cheers
-raj

Re: basic auth does not work? ( 4.0.1 final and 4.0 latest nightly )

Posted by Taavi Tiirik <ta...@ibs.ee>.
> Yes, this is the current behaviour. Refer to earlier posts (by search).
>
> Current remedy is to use "form" instead (if appropriate) else revet back
> to 3.x.

thanks,

is there any time estimate of when it will start working again?

with best wishes,

Posted by raj <ra...@clarologic.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Are you getting this error on the standard examples webapp, or on one of
your own?  If it's on the standard example, there's something corrupted
about your installation -- if it's on your own app, we'll need to see the
web.xml and (relevant) server.xml entries as well.

Also, what OS and JDK are you using?

Craig

Posted by Taavi Tiirik <ta...@ibs.ee>.
> (simply change the word FORM to BASIC in the existing <auth-method> is
> easiest.

This did not help :-(

> But the first thing to do is to post the stack trace that came with the
> "Internal Server Error" page (or from one of the log files in the "logs"
> directory -- without that, there is no way to diagnose what is going on.

Stack trace in catalina.log goes like this:

2001-11-12 19:08:12 HttpProcessor[8080][1] process.invoke
java.lang.NullPointerException
 at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.status(ErrorDispatcherValve.
java:291)
 at
java:180)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
 at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170
)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
 at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:462)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
 at
:163)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
 at
1011)
 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:1106
)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Taavi Tiirik wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:11:07 +0200
> From: Taavi Tiirik <ta...@ibs.ee>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Cc: Craig R. McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>
> Subject: basic auth does not work? ( 4.0.1 final and 4.0 latest nightly )
>
> I cannot get basic authentication to work with 4.0.1 release
> and latest nightly build.
>
> All I did in examples/WEB-INF/web.xml was:
> 1. added
> <login-config>
>   <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
>   <realm-name>Private</realm-name>
> </login-config>
> 2. commented out form based login configuration.
>
> Tomcat gives 'HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error'
> when I try to access examples/jsp/security/protected/
>
> Is this how it should be or is there a fix for this?
>
> Craig, anybody, is this a current behaviour or am I doing
> something wong? If it does not work at the moment
> can you estimate when...? :-)

It works fine for me (and many others), which means that there is
something wrong with your configuration files.  I just checked again
(simply change the word FORM to BASIC in the existing <auth-method> is
easiest.

But the first thing to do is to post the stack trace that came with the
"Internal Server Error" page (or from one of the log files in the "logs"
directory -- without that, there is no way to diagnose what is going on.

> best regards,
> Taavi

Craig