Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/06 16:23:14 UTC

Merge performance timings ... please read

I thought I'd test these recent performance improvements.  This is
from OSX and some of them were apparently just from Windows.

I took the 1.5.x-issue2489 branch and did a "synch" merge with the
1.5.x branch.  I also used the https:// URL to our repos.

Using 1.5.2:
real	9m12.866s
user	0m3.043s
sys	0m1.219s

Using 1.5.x (@r33492):
real	9m4.840s
user	0m3.005s
sys	0m1.375s

So not much speed up.

But then I merged in Paul's grouping from STATUS:
r29969, r33013, r33016, r33022, r33112

real	1m3.598s
user	0m1.482s
sys	0m0.712s

For the first time, merge actually felt "snappy".  The notifications
just streamed right along.  I'd encourage people to review that change
before we make 1.5.3.  Or at least try that merge for yourself.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Merge performance timings ... please read

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 12:23 -0400, Mark Phippard wrote:
> I thought I'd test these recent performance improvements.  This is
> from OSX and some of them were apparently just from Windows.
>
> I took the 1.5.x-issue2489 branch and did a "synch" merge with the
> 1.5.x branch.  I also used the https:// URL to our repos.
>
> Using 1.5.2:
> real	9m12.866s
> user	0m3.043s
> sys	0m1.219s
>
> Using 1.5.x (@r33492):
> real	9m4.840s
> user	0m3.005s
> sys	0m1.375s
>
> So not much speed up.
>
> But then I merged in Paul's grouping from STATUS:
> r29969, r33013, r33016, r33022, r33112
>
> real	1m3.598s
> user	0m1.482s
> sys	0m0.712s
>
> For the first time, merge actually felt "snappy".  The notifications
> just streamed right along.  I'd encourage people to review that change
> before we make 1.5.3.  Or at least try that merge for yourself.

Tried it on my Linux system. I got similar results. Yes, a fantastic
improvement!

I'm reviewing the patch now.

- Julian