Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/06 13:48:48 UTC

[all] Junit 3.8.2 jar is not Java 1.3 compatible

I've just discovered that JUnit 3.8.2 contains a 1.4+ method call:

     Boolean.valueOf(boolean)

This is used by the methods:

   assertEquals([String message,] boolean expected, boolean actual)

So any builds that are intended for 1.3 should ensure that they are
using 3.8.1, rather than 3.8.2 (which should be used for 1.4 builds)

I've not been able to find any documentation on which Java versions
are supposed to be supported by which JUnit releases, so I don't know
if 3.8.2 was supposed to support Java 1.3.

Until now, I thought 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 were both OK for 1.3+, so
apologies to anyone I've inadvertently misled.

Re: [all] Junit 3.8.2 jar is not Java 1.3 compatible

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 06/03/2008, Hasan Diwan <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/03/2008, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I've just discovered that JUnit 3.8.2 contains a 1.4+ method call:
>  >
>  >      Boolean.valueOf(boolean)
>  >
>  >  This is used by the methods:
>  >
>  >    assertEquals([String message,] boolean expected, boolean actual)
>  >
>  >  So any builds that are intended for 1.3 should ensure that they are
>  >  using 3.8.1, rather than 3.8.2 (which should be used for 1.4 builds)
>  >
>  >  I've not been able to find any documentation on which Java versions
>  >  are supposed to be supported by which JUnit releases, so I don't know
>  >  if 3.8.2 was supposed to support Java 1.3.
>  >
>  >  Until now, I thought 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 were both OK for 1.3+, so
>  >  apologies to anyone I've inadvertently misled.
>

> There has been a constructor for Boolean that takes a String back to
>  (at least) 1.3 and isn't marked as deprecated as of 1.6. I can't seem
>  to make heads from tail of the junit site, else I'd submit a patch.

The previous release (3.8.1) used new Boolean(boolean)

It would be good if 3.8.2 worked on the same JVMs as 3.8.1, as there
were a few fixes in it.

You might find you can post patches via:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/junit/

Posted by Hasan Diwan <ha...@gmail.com>.