Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> on 2021/04/30 21:10:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Next 2.x releases

Heya,

I'd like to have a planning discussion around our 2.x releases. 2.4 seems
to be humming along nicely, I think we won't have a need for 2.3 much
longer. Likewise, it seems like it should be time to start planning 2.5,
but when I look at the issues unique to that branch [0], I don't see the
big new feature that justifies the new minor release. Rather, I see a
number of items that should be backported to a 2.4.x. Do we have a big new
feature in the works? Should we consider backporting something from master?
Or maybe there's enough minor changes on 2.5 to justify the release... but
if so, which of them motivate users to upgrade?

So, to summarize:

- How much longer do we want to run 2.3?
- What issues in the below query can be backported to 2.4? Any volunteers?
- What's the big new feature that motivates 2.5?

Thanks,
Nick

[0]:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20HBASE%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Fixed%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.5.0%20AND%20fixVersion%20not%20in%20(2.4.0%2C%202.4.1%2C%202.4.2%2C%202.4.3)%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC

Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.x releases

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 6:22 AM 张铎(Duo Zhang) <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And on 3.0, I still think we should land the splittable meta work, as it
> will introduce some breaking changes so if we can not land it in 3.0, then
> maybe we can only delay it to 4.0...

Agree.

Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.x releases

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.x releases

Posted by Mallikarjun <ma...@gmail.com>.
Inline

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 4:51 AM Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> My understanding is that backup work is not ready for inclusion in 2.x.
>
> The talk of removing it from the master branch and proposed adoption of the
> feature through more involvement from some community members were not so
> long ago.

I am working on backup changes as per the discussion in email with
subject *[DISCUSS]
Hbase Backup design changes*

Removing it entirely may not be a good idea, as we are using it in
production and I see a good value addition with this feature instead of
starting fresh.

Maybe in a month or two, I will be able to close it.

Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.x releases

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Thanks Duo.

I assigned this to myself, but if anyone is reading this who wants to do it
right now, please take the issue. I will get to it in the next couple of
months as part of more generally preparing for a 2.5.0. I do think we will
want the new minor release some time this year, as the justifications
accumulate. I'd like to RM it unless there are objections or we have
another volunteer.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.x releases

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.x releases

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.x releases

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.x releases

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.x releases

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
Does anyone have interest in backporting HBASE-22120 to branch-2?

I do not think it is very hard to cherry-pick the patches back, but there
is a problem that, on master, we built sync client on top of async client,
so we do not need to add tracing support in sync client implementation, but
on branch-2 we need to add tracing code to sync client implementation,
which is an extra work.

Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.x releases

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Inline