Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com> on 2016/01/22 21:57:31 UTC

Trying to understand the big picture

Hi, all. I'm trying to map the release items (
http://taverna.incubator.apache.org/download/code/ - Source code
repositories section) with the overall architecture of Taverna 3 so I can
understand the big picture. I'm using the diagram from Stian's 2014-10-31
presentation (
http://www.slideshare.net/soilandreyes/20141031taverna3architecture) .

I have a couple of general questions:
1) Is this the right architecture diagram to use?
2) Does it make sense to map the git repos to the architecture elements?

If it makes sense to proceed, are these mappings correct?:
taverna maven parent -- Taverna Core?
taverna language -- Taverna Core?
taverna osgi -- Taverna Platform API (OSGI)
taverna engine -- Taverna Engine
taverna common activities -- part of Taverna Engine?
taverna commandline -- Taverna Command Line Tools (part of?)
taverna server -- Taverna Server
taverna workbench -- Taverna Workbench
taverna workbench common activities -- part of Taverna Workbench
taverna workbench product -- part of Taverna workbench
taverna plugin component -- part of Core: Activity Plugins?
taverna plugin bioinformatics -- part of Core: Activity Plugins?
taverna databundle viewer -- ??
taverna mobile -- ??

What about Taverna Player and Taverna Lite?

Thanks!

Gale

Re: Trying to understand the big picture

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 25/01/2016 20:04, Gale Naylor wrote:
> Thanks, Ian. I've modified Stian's architecture drawing to take into
> account the additional information (at least, as best I understand it.)
>
> https://galenaylor.wordpress.com/2016/01/25/revised-apache-taverna-3-architecture-diagram/
>
> Comments, anyone?

Looks good.

When you run a workflow in the workbench or the command line tool, then
it can generate a data bundle as an output of the workflow run. The
databundle contains information about the inputs and outputs of the run
and also provenance information e.g. when part of the workflow ran and
what intermediate inputs and outputs it took/produced. The databundle
viewer allows you to explore a databundle.

The player and server can also produce a databundle, that they get
indirectly from the command line tool they run.

> Thanks,
> Gale

Alan

Re: Trying to understand the big picture

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@manchester.ac.uk>.
Hello,